British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Greetings from Long Island, NY (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/greetings-long-island-ny-405801/)

cjbell Nov 3rd 2006 2:46 am

Greetings from Long Island, NY

Hi there, thought I'd introduce myself, last May I made the move from Staffordshire, England to Long Island, NY permanent, (after several visits in the previous year!) when I came over on a K1 visa to marry my American Fiancée who is now my wife.

Currently in the process of adjusting status to permanent resident, and still waiting on homeland security to provide me with work authorization so still have a lot of time on my hands. Although I did complete a degree and masters in England before I made the move so hopefully will help in finding a job once I am able to take employment.

I personally found the adjustment difficult at first, like you'd think the US would be easy cause of the common language, but only living here you find that a lot of things are different. Things did get better with time, got worst after seeing all my family for the wedding, then improved again! I think it helps having someone you love over here who is native and can help you integrate.

A couple of quick questions though, I know I do have the right to vote still in England as I'm still a citizen there, although the form says I need someone who is an English citizen who lives outside England and knows me to witness it which seems a bit of a catch 22 question.

Another is, how have those who moved here not through work, and had to find work afterwards; how have they found the reaction of US employers, to someone having being educated in the English system, and any work references being back in England. (I'm only 24 so my academic background is still my strong selling point in my CV/Resume)

Finally, I'm slowly finding places that I can find English goods being near to NYC, however could anyone tell me of any beer stores especially on Long Island that sell Blackthorn Dry Cider. Cider over here seems very unpopular and difficult to find, I was really surprised to find that cider such as woodpecker is available in the supermarket in Florida, but made in Vermont, and must like pass NY on it's way there!

Lord Lionheart Nov 3rd 2006 2:52 am

Re: Greetings from Long Island, NY

Originally Posted by cjbell
Hi there, thought I'd introduce myself, last May I made the move from Staffordshire, England to Long Island, NY permanent, (after several visits in the previous year!) when I came over on a K1 visa to marry my American Fiancée who is now my wife.

Currently in the process of adjusting status to permanent resident, and still waiting on homeland security to provide me with work authorization so still have a lot of time on my hands. Although I did complete a degree and masters in England before I made the move so hopefully will help in finding a job once I am able to take employment.

I personally found the adjustment difficult at first, like you'd think the US would be easy cause of the common language, but only living here you find that a lot of things are different. Things did get better with time, got worst after seeing all my family for the wedding, then improved again! I think it helps having someone you love over here who is native and can help you integrate.

A couple of quick questions though, I know I do have the right to vote still in England as I'm still a citizen there, although the form says I need someone who is an English citizen who lives outside England and knows me to witness it which seems a bit of a catch 22 question.

Another is, how have those who moved here not through work, and had to find work afterwards; how have they found the reaction of US employers, to someone having being educated in the English system, and any work references being back in England. (I'm only 24 so my academic background is still my strong selling point in my CV/Resume)

Finally, I'm slowly finding places that I can find English goods being near to NYC, however could anyone tell me of any beer stores especially on Long Island that sell Blackthorn Dry Cider. Cider over here seems very unpopular and difficult to find, I was really surprised to find that cider such as woodpecker is available in the supermarket in Florida, but made in Vermont, and must like pass NY on it's way there!

Welcome, we need some new blood around here. Do you have chairs that make farting noises in your office. You didn't get where you are today by not drinking cider...............

cjbell Nov 3rd 2006 3:02 am

Originally Posted by lionheart
Welcome, we need some new blood around here. Do you have chairs that make farting noises in your office. You didn't get where you are today by not drinking cider...............

LOL! No office yet, still waiting on EAD and hopefully a nice US employer who wants to give me a nice office job either here in Long Island or NYC. Although I remember one time a year ago when my then financee came to England and they had a program on Sky about the 10 toughest pubs where there was one pub that served a particular sort of cider that had the sort of side-effects you are talking about!!

britvic Nov 3rd 2006 3:07 am

Welcome, keep popping in this lot will always bring a :) to your face.

Bob Nov 3rd 2006 3:45 am

Welcome to BE :)

As for the voting, it's a mare, and usually ends up a waste of time because they dont' send out the vote till it's to late to be able to return it, so set it up as a proxy, so fill that in when your next in blighty, or with mail....or find a brit abroad....it's a mare when I did it, I sent it to a mate out in San Fran while I was in Maine, it was either him or a mate in Malaysia *lol*

The work thing, a lot depends on what field your in...for me, my uni, in the design field, highly rated in the EU, has absolutely no kudos here and didn't help at all, but then I couldn't be arsed with design and went into games as a 3D artist, and it was all about having a nice port folio.

The booze, I've seen Strong Bow and Woodpeckers quite a lot around here, and I've seen blackthorn once or twice somewhere...but if you go to say something like a co-op type health store, you'll probably find lot of cider, some of the local stuff ain't to bad.

Sally Nov 3rd 2006 3:48 am

Welcome, i'd love a cider, haven't found any here yet.

Lord Lionheart Nov 3rd 2006 4:01 am

Originally Posted by Sally
Welcome, i'd love a cider, haven't found any here yet.

????? They have it in the King's Head, Woodpecker I think

Sally Nov 3rd 2006 4:05 am

Originally Posted by lionheart
????? They have it in the King's Head, Woodpecker I think

Oh I'll have a look next time. Thanks.

blaze Nov 3rd 2006 12:15 pm

Welcome! :)

I came over (16 years ago ;) ) with my American husband whom I met in Britain. I had a job within a week of landing in AZ. Now granted, it was a terrible job (selling cars during desert storm when no-one was buying anything because of the economy!). Anyway, you can find yourself a job quite easily I would think, you may just have to take something, anything just to get yourself on the employment ladder as it were then look for what you really want. If you're not in a hurry then take your time and look for that 'perfect' job.
In my experience, American employers are great when it comes to hiring expats, I have never had a problem finding work and have been hired on the spot more than once in my now career field.
As far as the cider goes, I'm with you on that, I miss it! :(
Good luck!

Jerseygirl Nov 3rd 2006 12:34 pm

Hello and welcome to BE. :)

Elvira Nov 3rd 2006 2:12 pm

Welcome! :)

Do you have any interests apart from voting and cider? :p

What's your line of work? A 'good' English accent can help with US clients... ;)

DollyLlama Nov 3rd 2006 5:52 pm

Hello and Welcome :)

Partystar Nov 4th 2006 4:58 pm

Welcome to BE! :)

Cider - :beer: :beer: :beer:

britchicknyc Nov 10th 2006 9:23 pm

Welcome! Where on Long Island are you? My husband is from LI, and we lived in Huntington for a while. Now in NJ, but movning back to LI v. soon....

Irn-bru Nov 10th 2006 10:47 pm

Hi and welcome to the mad house :)