Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Greencard not good enough ID for Regions Bank...wtf??

Greencard not good enough ID for Regions Bank...wtf??

Old Jun 15th 2008, 1:49 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Greencard not good enough ID for Regions Bank...wtf??

Went to open uo a checking account yesterday at the subject bank here in Birmingham, only to find out that Mrs. IP's greencard was not on the list of ID documents acceptable to them to prove who she is? Anyone else had this problem? As she does not drive, I guess we will have to take a day and get her an AL ID Card. Sure hope they take a GC!!
Old Jun 15th 2008, 2:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Greencard not good enough ID for Regions Bank...wtf??

Originally Posted by ironporer
Went to open uo a checking account yesterday at the subject bank here in Birmingham, only to find out that Mrs. IP's greencard was not on the list of ID documents acceptable to them to prove who she is? Anyone else had this problem? As she does not drive, I guess we will have to take a day and get her an AL ID Card. Sure hope they take a GC!!
What about her passport?
Old Jun 15th 2008, 2:58 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Is it possible that they call it something else, like the I-551 card? I find it strange that a permanent resident card can be used to fulfill the I-9 employment verification form but isn't considered sufficient identification to open a bank account. Maybe you should try another branch or even another bank altogether.

~ Jenney
Old Jun 15th 2008, 3:12 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I thinks it's because most Americans have never seen a GC...they have no reason to.
Old Jun 15th 2008, 6:17 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AlienUk
What about her passport?
I agree, her passport should be sufficient ID to open a bank account.

Rene
Old Jun 15th 2008, 6:57 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Each bank is different. It might be that while it is sufficient to prove who she is, it is not sufficient to prove where she is living. They might need something with address, like a utility bill or drivers license or lease or state ID card (if she isn't driving).

Or it could be they don't know the procedure. There is a WIKI on the issue surrounding IDs and bank accounts....well, there was but the WIKI is messed up now.
Old Jun 15th 2008, 8:35 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AlienUk
What about her passport?

A US passport would have been accepted...but she does not have one yet.

He read the entire list of acceptable docs, everything from Birth Cert to Military ID...no I-551, no nada.
Old Jun 15th 2008, 8:51 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

A US passport would have been accepted...but she does not have one yet.

He read the entire list of acceptable docs, everything from Birth Cert to Military ID...no I-551, no nada.

I can understand why it would not be accepted as it would appear that they want what is considered "normal" photo identification. Doesn't she have a state driver's license and/or a state identification.
Old Jun 15th 2008, 10:33 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
I can understand why it would not be accepted as it would appear that they want what is considered "normal" photo identification. Doesn't she have a state driver's license and/or a state identification.
Did you read any of the thread before posting your pointless defense of the bank?

I'm sure you feel that this board really needs someone to speak up for the American side of things that people complain about. It would just help if you put a little thought into your posts, or even read the thread you were replying to.

For the record, the three banks I've done business with recently all accepted a Green Card (I-551) as official photo ID. The fact that Regions Bank won't isn't "understandable", it's just another random bullshit rule which inconveniences someone who's already jumped through most of the USCIS hoops.
Old Jun 16th 2008, 12:40 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

If I were you IP, I'd take yours and your wife's business elsewhere. Clearly, Regions Bank isn't that interested in legitimate customers.
Old Jun 16th 2008, 3:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute

Even Circuit City accept a "government issued ID" for web order pickup! I'd take my business elsewhere if Regions insisted a GC isn't acceptable.
Old Jun 16th 2008, 9:46 am
Maño-Americano

With 20 million or so immigrants here, one would think that it is much more "normal" than say a Military ID (of which there would only be 3 million or so) or even a US Passport (not many would ever use that as their ID). My only answer is that being as there are so many fake greencards, they might not want to use them.

Another reason it's high time that the federal government come up with a National ID card wich also would serve to proove citizenship, or legal resident status.
Old Jun 16th 2008, 11:56 am
Displaced Canadian

Amywen is an unknown quantity at this point

Try one of the larger banks. I work for one of the 5 largest banks in the U.S. and we do accept green cards as a valid form of photo ID. The banker may not be familiar with the card, especially depending on the branch location. If they are unsure you can kindly suggest they call their retail help number.

Most banks do accept a green card (even though they don't know to call it that) as valid photo ID, but you would need a secondary ID as well, such as a major credit card, state ID, or driver's licence, or work ID. I would strongly suggest getting a state ID or DL since that would work as a primary ID type on its own.

The policy varies from bank to bank, but bankers are nervous about ID types due to PATRIOT Act violations. They'd rather deny a valid ID form than accept one that isn't and keep their job.

U.S. Bank even accepts Canadian driver's licences as a valid primary ID type. I wish I had known that years ago so I could have opened my first US account sooner.
Old Jun 16th 2008, 12:10 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

My only answer is that being as there are so many fake greencards, they might not want to use them.
but they take driver licences - and of course nobody ever fakes those
Old Jun 16th 2008, 2:52 pm
Forum Regular

ian1976 will become famous soon enoughian1976 will become famous soon enough

My wife was told at Trader Jo's when she bought some liquor that they weren't supposed to accept her GC as proof of age!! Apparantly they are told to use STATE issued ID only! Needless to say both her and the cashier laughed it off and the liquor was purchased.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.