Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Green light for L1B

Green light for L1B

Old Jul 10th 2016, 1:20 pm
Just Joined

breedsa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Green light for L1B

As the title says I've got the green light from an intercompany transfer on an L1B visa, when I say "green light" I mean the company will sponsor me.

So the bad news is that there's not a relocation package they will pay for the visa side of things and perhaps pay for service apartment for a week or two but fundamentally this is something I want to do so it's at my expense.

Here is my plan

-Fly to Castle Rock Co for 5 days scope out the area (places to rent,schools)
-Return to live there on my own and get set up
-Move my wife and daughter out

I've read enough on the forums regarding banking etc one question I do have is regarding SSN - at what point do I get assigned an SSN?

Also, I've been advised my salary will reflect the current living trends for the state where I've living what's considered a livable working wage in Colorado?
Old Jul 10th 2016, 1:54 pm
Forum Regular

boltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Green light for L1B

Wait 10 days after your first entry on your L1B visa then go to the social security office and apply for an SSN. A few weeks after that you will have it.
Old Jul 10th 2016, 1:56 pm
Just Joined

Awesome @boltonreddave cheers for the quick response :-)
Old Jul 10th 2016, 2:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

You will get an SSN when you move over. Not sure if an L visa means you have to go and apply for it at the local SS office, in which case, it'll take about 10 days.

As for current living trends, it's an impossible question to answer given the limited information provided and the size of the country. What's acceptable in Alabama will more than likely be below poverty levels in New York or LA. In fact, it can be that variable within the same state!

You can google a lot about the area, average wage, cost of living, etc. very easily and work out what level you need to be comfortable. Compare that to the offer and you'll know where you stand. Don't forget to allow for health insurance, car payments/insurance, etc.

City-data.com has plenty of information and is a good starting point for your research.
Old Jul 10th 2016, 2:10 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Guindalf you're right it is an impossible question and as you mentioned there's Google that will give me a good starting ground.

The reason I ask is naturally I don't want to move to another country and have to "struggle" I hope to live a comfortable life and finding out what's a suitable salary will dictate on where and how I choose to live...

Thanks again :-)
Old Jul 10th 2016, 2:32 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Others have posted that the ten day wait for an SSN is obsolete, and that you can now go to the SS office a couple of days after you arrive.

How old is your daughter?

Is your wife planning on working? If she is, she should apply for her EAD as soon as possible after she arrives.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jul 10th 2016 at 2:41 pm.
Old Jul 10th 2016, 2:37 pm
Just Joined

Hey Pulaski my daughter is 3 and my wife being the "ambitious" type plans on being a stay at home Mum (suppose I better get used to saying Mom lol)
Old Jul 10th 2016, 2:42 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Be aware that once you have "established residence", as per the DMV laws in the state you are moving to (note, this has nothing to with "residence" for tax or immigration purposes), you only have a short time to get yourself a state drivers license. This will involve a road "test", which is pretty much a joke compared to the driving test in the UK, but before you take the road test, you will be expected to answer questions on things such as road signs, speed limits, blood alcohol levels, etc. but they're not super-challenging either.
Old Jul 10th 2016, 3:01 pm
Just Joined

Hey Pulaski awesome tip there, It will be the first thing I do.