Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Green cards on the way - what to do next?

Green cards on the way - what to do next?

Old Aug 19th 2011, 4:31 pm
Forum Regular

Dougster75 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Green cards on the way - what to do next?

Hi everyone,

Just got the notice that green cards are in production. Great news for us but trying to work out what we need to do once we've got them... So far I have:

Get driving license updated from Temporary Visitor.
Get clean Social Security card.
Resign to actively pursue my male modelling vocation.
Put the missus out to work...

Anything else we should be doing? The kids' currently have US bank accounts that get taxed on the interest (using my SSN). Can they get SSN's now or do we use the ITIN on their bank account to try and get them proper interest?

Cheers all,

Doug.
Old Aug 20th 2011, 3:20 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Green cards on the way - what to do next?

Don't assume you have the GCs until you have them. There is always the slight risk that the system doesn't reflect the true status of your application. Once you get the cards, then:

1. Absolutely get the children their own Social Security Numbers.

2. Your wife should also get an unrestricted Social Security card and if she doesn't have a drivers license, she should get a state ID card.

3. Start saving up for your US citizenship application in 5 years. N-400 for you and the wife, plus N-600 citizenship certificates for the children, will cost a certain amount of money (and will probably be increased by then) so it's best to set aside the funds in advance.

4. Probably not such a good idea to change career/job unless enough time has elapsed that no-one can suggest you may have obtained your GC based on a false intention ... But if you are fired tomorrow you can safely look for something different.

Last edited by JAJ; Aug 20th 2011 at 3:23 pm.
Old Aug 20th 2011, 3:55 pm

Sugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dougster75 View Post
Hi everyone,

Just got the notice that green cards are in production. Great news for us but trying to work out what we need to do once we've got them... So far I have:

Anything else we should be doing? The kids' currently have US bank accounts that get taxed on the interest (using my SSN). Can they get SSN's now or do we use the ITIN on their bank account to try and get them proper interest?

Cheers all,

Doug.

I somehow think Katy is not the best place for your new vocation. Try the Montrose area in Houston
Old Aug 20th 2011, 5:15 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone,

Cheers all,

Doug.
Love it.

Have a Party
Old Aug 20th 2011, 7:33 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone,

Cheers all,

Doug.
Not you as well, it's all I ever hear nag, nag, nag... we'll see how you like it when we are back at work with one weeks vacation and you get to look after the kids for 11 bloody weeks during the summer