Reload this Page >

green card - working in US & UK

green card - working in US & UK

Old Dec 19th 2011, 4:34 pm
Just Joined

dee1040 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default green card - working in US & UK

Hello,

I'm freelance and am currently based in the UK but have just received my EB1 visa so am about to apply for the green card. My plan is to move to the US to find work but I will also be coming back and forth to the UK to continue working with clients here so basically I will be working in both countries.
Can someone advise me on how things work with regard to tax? Where do I pay tax, what other taxes will I be looking to pay in the US and how much roughly I should be looking at spending on medical insurance? I would be very grateful for any help...
Old Dec 19th 2011, 6:00 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: green card - working in US & UK

I'll start the ball rolling and say that you have to pay US tax as a Legal Permanent Resident, but that does not mean that you do not need to pay UK tax.

You also need to make sure that you can maintain your LPR status given the time you will spend outside of the US.
Old Dec 19th 2011, 6:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

You'll need to consult with a tax attorney to get the real answer. As a LPR, you must indicate worldwide income on you US tax returns but normally you can use foreign taxes paid to offset any US taxes owed. However the offset may or may not allowed by the IRS if you are working in the UK for short periods since the IRS may think that the taxes should be paid to the US government instead.
Old Dec 20th 2011, 12:01 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Also don't forget to set aside all the taxes that an employer would pay on top, which you would now have to pay.

You can find the rates by looking at the IRS website, as well as your state you will be living in.

As for medical insurance, that's been covered to death and you'll find loads of threads if you look back a page or two, if one isn't on the first page already...that and the wiki.
Old Dec 20th 2011, 1:36 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Also, be aware that as a US permanent resident you are subject to the FBAR reporting requirements

Who Must File an FBAR

United States persons are required to file an FBAR if:

1. The United States person had a financial interest in or signature authority over at least one financial account located outside of the United States; and
2. The aggregate value of all foreign financial accounts exceeded $10,000 at any time during the calendar year to be reported.

United States person means United States citizens; United States residents; entities, including but not limited to, corporations, partnerships, or limited liability companies created or organized in the United States or under the laws of the United States; and trusts or estates formed under the laws of the United States.
Old Dec 20th 2011, 4:02 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

First use google to see how freelancers are taxed in US. I assume you know about the UK already

If you are a UK citizen LPR in the US you will be UK non-resident. As a LPR the US will tax your worldwide income and the UK will tax any UK source income you have which means any income you get from work done in the UK. You'll also be responsible for NI in the UK and FICA in the US. I don't know much about hove self-employed are taxed, but i bet it is more complicated than personal taxation.
Old Dec 20th 2011, 7:31 am
Forum Regular

janette is on a distinguished road

I work in both countries and the tax situation is far more complicated than it should be! As a LPR you must declare all income, wherever it is earned, but just because you are a LPR doesn't mean that HMRC view you as non-resident in the UK. It seems to depend how much work you do there. I seem to be resident in both countries for tax purposes and have had extra tax to pay in the UK because of my US income. Company accountants seem to think this is correct as they work out the tax returns. There are tax treaties to prevent double taxation but they don't mean you will not be liable for additional tax in either/both countries. This is an area that is NOT a DIY job and I would certainly recommend getting qualified advice.
Old Jan 5th 2012, 4:12 pm
Just Joined

dee1040 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am very grateful for all your comments regards to my query. Thanks so much for taking the time.
It seems like it really depends on individual cases.