Reload this Page >

Green Card/UK passport name conflict

Green Card/UK passport name conflict

Old May 16th 2012, 10:49 pm
Forum Regular

remschick is on a distinguished road
Default Green Card/UK passport name conflict

Hoping someone can help me here.

I'm travelling back to the UK in November on my UK passport and returning to the US on my Green Card.

The problem is that I got married last year (just before I filed for my Green Card) and so my Green Card is in my married name but my passport is in my maiden name.

I was told at my immigration interview that I would be able to travel on my passport as long as I took my marriage certificate with me. Is this true, and will it still count after a year?

My UK passport isn't due to expire for another 4 years, and Im reluctant to renew it if I don't need to.

Also, if I don't have to renew it what name do I book my flights under? I remember when travelling back to the US the last time they checked my visa against my travel documents ... in this case the names would not match.

Thanks.
Old May 16th 2012, 11:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Green Card/UK passport name conflict

Neither UK or US immigration should care.

The US really only cares about your green card and the UK only cares about your UK passport - both of which are perfectly valid.

If you have problems it will be with the airlines since the "travel document" that they will want to match up with the name on your ticket will be your UK passport for your trip back to the UK and your green card for your return trip to the US.

Hopefully a marriage certificate will be sufficient for the airline but it will almost certainly be more than their online checkin system will be able to handle
Old May 16th 2012, 11:44 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks!

Yes, it is the airline check in that I am most wary of. I am travelling to Canada by car in the summer - no problem there!!

Trying to find this information from the airline Im travelling with is, to say the least, a little frustrating!!
Old May 17th 2012, 2:44 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by remschick
Thanks!

Yes, it is the airline check in that I am most wary of. I am travelling to Canada by car in the summer - no problem there!!

Trying to find this information from the airline Im travelling with is, to say the least, a little frustrating!!
Get the airline tickets in your passport name. Carry a copy of your marriage certificate to show how your name changed to the one on your green card.

Rene
Old May 17th 2012, 2:47 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Rene!
Old May 18th 2012, 10:42 am
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute

I had an issue at immigration last time i went back to the US - UK passport maiden name- travel docs maiden name, green card married name

I was told that i had to have all docs- UK passport and green card in same name
I was going to change passport but as family member is ill in the UK I was reluctant to send it off and I was indeed needed to be in UK 3 weeks later so good job i had passport

I booked tickets same as usual - maiden name to match passport

I am going to get the name changed on my passport to stop this happening in future but it will have to be from the US as return ticket is booked in maiden name

I did contact Dean the British Consul and he advised that if this is what the US immigration require then to comply - its just for me a question of timing

PS the airline just seem to want the travel docs and passport in the same name - they do ask to see my GC and also look at my marriage cert so do carry it with you
Old May 18th 2012, 10:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CAdreaming
I was told that i had to have all docs- UK passport and green card in same name
Sorry, I think that you explained this in more detail in your original thread on this topic, but I can't remember the details - who, precisely, was it that told you this - was it CBP in the US or someone else?

... and, I suppose, one could also ask if you really had to have all of the docs in the same name then why did they let you in - and, of course, the answer would be because you don't "have to" have all of the docs in the same name ... (but, of course, being "right" when dealing with officialdom isn't much consolation when they keep you waiting for 3 hours and you miss your connecting flight ...)
Old May 19th 2012, 10:14 am
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
Sorry, I think that you explained this in more detail in your original thread on this topic, but I can't remember the details - who, precisely, was it that told you this - was it CBP in the US or someone else?

... and, I suppose, one could also ask if you really had to have all of the docs in the same name then why did they let you in - and, of course, the answer would be because you don't "have to" have all of the docs in the same name ... (but, of course, being "right" when dealing with officialdom isn't much consolation when they keep you waiting for 3 hours and you miss your connecting flight ...)
Im not sure exactly what they are called but it was the first official people you see when entering the USA - at passport control - I call them immigration officers
I stood in the PR line which was correct and then they questioned me about the maiden name on UK passport and married on Green Card - i did have my marriage cert but he did say that i needed to change my UK passport into my married name. I did query it as this was the third time i had travelled back to the US on my UK passport with my maiden name plus married name Green Card plus marriage cert and each time the officer has just said "welcome home"
Im getting my passport changed as I have firstly been requested to and secondly i travel very often to the UK because of my sick mother and its stressful enough without this issue. I am very wary tho of sending off my passport from back in the US to get updated as i need to be able to get back to the UK asap and i cant change it in the UK as I then my return ticket to US will be in a different name to the passport and the airline will only accept the name on the current passport....I do have a docs letter explaining why ive been in UK so long (it will be 10 weeks) so hopefully that will suffice this time
Old May 19th 2012, 9:56 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for all the additional help.

I have been looking into renewing my UK passport but this also seems fraught with complications.

This is my second marriage and the Passport Office seem to want evidence of the change from maiden name to my first married name, and then from that name to my current married name. I have no evidence of the first marriage as the cert from that one was surrendered upon our divorce.

Also, do I need my photos countersigned? I don't know any British Nationals Stateside, or anyone from the specified occupations, that I have known for 2 years. Both my neighbours are retired auto workers.

It's looking like 'winging' it with Immigration/Border patrol is the way to go for now. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old May 28th 2012, 10:21 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by CAdreaming
Im not sure exactly what they are called but it was the first official people you see when entering the USA - at passport control - I call them immigration officers
I stood in the PR line which was correct and then they questioned me about the maiden name on UK passport and married on Green Card - i did have my marriage cert but he did say that i needed to change my UK passport into my married name. I did query it as this was the third time i had travelled back to the US on my UK passport with my maiden name plus married name Green Card plus marriage cert and each time the officer has just said "welcome home"
Im getting my passport changed as I have firstly been requested to and secondly i travel very often to the UK because of my sick mother and its stressful enough without this issue. I am very wary tho of sending off my passport from back in the US to get updated as i need to be able to get back to the UK asap and i cant change it in the UK as I then my return ticket to US will be in a different name to the passport and the airline will only accept the name on the current passport....I do have a docs letter explaining why ive been in UK so long (it will be 10 weeks) so hopefully that will suffice this time
Ah yes, this is another thing. Coming back to the US, which line do I 'queue' up in? Do I go through US Nationals? I'll be coming in under my Green Card after all, correct?
Old May 28th 2012, 10:57 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by remschick
Do I go through US Nationals? I'll be coming in under my Green Card after all, correct?
Unless there's a sign that says "US citizens and GC holders" or something similar, you go in the non-USC line.

Ian
Old May 29th 2012, 12:22 am
BE Enthusiast

jackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud of

I have the same issue. My California driving license and green card are in my married name but my UK passport is in my maiden name. Never had an issue with it, and I've traveled many times in and out of the US.

I always book my plane tickets as the same name as my passport.