Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Green card replacement problems!

Green card replacement problems!

Old Jul 17th 2002, 5:20 am
Joachim Feise

Default Re: Green card replacement problems!

st.trinians wrote:
    > I went today to the Federal Plaza (3rd Floor) with the intention of getting my
    > passport stamped. I waited 3 hours like everyone else has to. The guy at the desk
    > told me that he can't do anything not until I am issued a fingerprinting
    > application (2-6 months). He refused to consider the argument that I should have
    > the stamp on my passport by right to prove my status as a DV greencard holder. He
    > also told me that they might not even have my application despite the fact that I
    > mailed in in a week ago by certified mail and I have confirmation from the USPS
    > that they have actually received it. He refused to tell me his name and then
    > brought over his supervisor ( J Mormino-on the badge) who was not only very
    > insulting, and did nothing but call security. I am at my wits end , I left the
    > building in tears.

Get a lawyer involved. They don't pull this kind of crap on lawyers. Also, file a
complaint: http://www.ins.usdoj.gov/graphics/ab...y/qualfile.htm

-Joe

Old Jul 18th 2002, 4:54 am
Just Joined

st.trinians is an unknown quantity at this point

Today I called my local representative for Manhattan I was given the email address of an employee who deals with these issues so I'm hoping that I will see a reply and a positive result soon.
Thanks for your help! Will keep you posted on the results.

M
Old Jul 19th 2002, 6:30 pm
Just Joined

How long should it take for a congress representative to get back to me?? I emailed on Wednesday..
Old Jul 19th 2002, 9:20 pm
Sylvia Ottemoel

st.trinians wrote:

> How long should it take for a congress representative to get back to me?? I emailed
    > on Wednesday.

If I were you, I would call right now and persist (politely) in trying to speak with
a staff member on the phone, who is in charge of immigration inquiries. If I got no
satisfaction, I would personally go to the Congressperson's office and ask for
assistance until I got it.

One thing you will need is to fill out a Privacy Release Notice, sign it and return
it to the office, so they can make inquiries and take action on your behalf. You can
use the Privacy Release form plus an attached summarizing letter to present your case
in a succinct way.

Don't mention your attempts to get service at the INS ASC. That is irrelevant to your
problem, and would be distracting to the Congressperson's staff member.

By the way, I meant to mention to you that the filing of the I-90 is independent of
getting the passport stamp. A person should be able to walk into INS and get a
passport stamp regardless of having filed or not filed an I-90.

Old Jul 23rd 2002, 6:07 am
Just Joined

I was near to having a nervous breakdown when I thought I had no help with this!!
I heard back a member of staff at the new york state congress rep's office and she is going to help me I just need to fax over some documentation..
I hope it works out.