British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Green card renewal (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/green-card-renewal-932691/)

newadventure May 14th 2020 3:46 pm

Green card renewal

Hello,
This is really a reminder in case anyone is in the same boat - i know i nearly missed this for my middle daughter. I have just applied for GC renewal for my 14 yr old son, even though his current card does not expire until 2026. The green card must be renewed when they turn 14. If you apply within 30 days after their 14th birthday, cost is $85

petitefrancaise May 14th 2020 3:53 pm

Re: Green card renewal

Originally Posted by newadventure (Post 12853006)
Hello,
This is really a reminder in case anyone is in the same boat - i know i nearly missed this for my middle daughter. I have just applied for GC renewal for my 14 yr old son, even though his current card does not expire until 2026. The green card must be renewed when they turn 14. If you apply within 30 days after their 14th birthday, cost is $85

yep. and it's $850 ish if you miss the 30 days... as I know only too well.

newadventure May 14th 2020 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise (Post 12853013)
yep. and it's $850 ish if you miss the 30 days... as I know only too well.

Ouch!

Rete May 14th 2020 6:08 pm

Technically, you didn't really apply for a renewal of your daughter's green card. As a new 14 year old, she is required to have a green card that shows a current photo. Many kids under 14 don't even have photos on their cards.

petitefrancaise May 14th 2020 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 12853067)
Technically, you didn't really apply for a renewal of your daughter's green card. As a new 14 year old, she is required to have a green card that shows a current photo. Many kids under 14 don't even have photos on their cards.

It's for biometrics - they can't/don't do them before the age of 14.
The old card had a photo on it , the new one has an updated one.

S Folinsky May 14th 2020 11:36 pm

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 12853067)

If memory serves me correctly, age 14 is to get fingerprinted.

lizzyq May 15th 2020 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by S Folinsky (Post 12853215)
If memory serves me correctly, age 14 is to get fingerprinted.

That was certainly our experience even as tourists. Our younger son had his 14th birthday during our fact finding trip using vwp six years ago and the lack of incoming fingerprints caused a brief and minor hiccup when we checked in to depart the USA.

petitefrancaise May 15th 2020 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise (Post 12853170)
It's for biometrics - they can't/don't do them before the age of 14.
The old card had a photo on it , the new one has an updated one.

as I said, it's for biometrics :unsure:

sadiigo Sep 6th 2020 2:01 am

I have the same problem, but I missed the 30 day window after 14 year birthday for my son. However, I realised that when we got our cards in Feb 2018, both him and his little sister (9 years old then) had biometrics taken. We got a new style green cards at that time and they had their fingerprints embedded in their cards. I wonder if I still need to apply for the renewal for him. I know the photo is old, but as long as fingerprints can be matched in their database he will be identified. I believe the whole point of this renewal is to get fingerprints before a child is 16 years old. I also wonder shouldn’t USCIS contact me and remind of the renewal? Has anyone renewed the cards for their kids where fingerprints were shown on the existing cards? Thank you.

petitefrancaise Sep 6th 2020 3:30 am

Originally Posted by sadiigo (Post 12906358)
I have the same problem, but I missed the 30 day window after 14 year birthday for my son. However, I realised that when we got our cards in Feb 2018, both him and his little sister (9 years old then) had biometrics taken. We got a new style green cards at that time and they had their fingerprints embedded in their cards. I wonder if I still need to apply for the renewal for him. I know the photo is old, but as long as fingerprints can be matched in their database he will be identified. I believe the whole point of this renewal is to get fingerprints before a child is 16 years old. I also wonder shouldn’t USCIS contact me and remind of the renewal? Has anyone renewed the cards for their kids where fingerprints were shown on the existing cards? Thank you.

I also wonder shouldn’t USCIS contact me and remind of the renewal? :rofl: er no.
You must replace your son's GC at his 14th birthday.

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/.../i-90instr.pdf

After reaching 14 years of age, a lawful permanent resident must register and submit Form I-90. Registration and fingerprinting are required within 30 days after a child reaches 14 years of age..
the above pdf gives more detail about which box to tick depending on whether your son's current GC expires before or after his 16th birthday.