British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Green Card application and work (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/green-card-application-work-114227/)

julieowen24 Oct 27th 2002 12:38 am

Green Card application and work

Hi,

I have been living in the US now for just over a year, my Husband is on a H1-B visa and works (thats why we are here) and I am on a H4 visa, is there anyway that I can work brain cells are starting to die now.

We have heard many many stories but none the same, we are able to apply for a green card through his work is this a way to go about getting the appropriate work related visa for me.

Thankyou in Advance

Julie Owen

Ray Jan 24th 2006 2:11 pm

Re: Green Card application and work

Originally Posted by julieowen24
Hi,
I have been living in the US now for just over a year, my Husband is on a H1-B visa and works (thats why we are here) and I am on a H4 visa, is there anyway that I can work brain cells are starting to die now.

No !!! but happy birthday for today ......

britchicknyc Jan 24th 2006 2:36 pm

I believe you can go to university if you want to get the brain working - but you aren't eligible for any working authorisation right now.

You might be better off posting on the visa section.

AdobePinon Jan 24th 2006 3:38 pm

:d :d LOL!

Sue Jan 24th 2006 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by Ray
No !!! but happy birthday for today ......

Are you bored today?

Ray Jan 24th 2006 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by Sue
Are you bored today?

Yup ..only two noticed ... so far ...

ladyofthelake Jan 24th 2006 4:12 pm

Hi,

We have heard many many stories but none the same, we are able to apply for a green card through his work is this a way to go about getting the appropriate work related visa for me.

Thankyou in Advance

Julie Owen

Unless you can get sponsored for an H1B yourself, or go study, you'll just have to wait for the green card to come through. You could be in for a long wait , depending on which category your husband comes under, best find a few good books to read... :rolleyes:

USBound Jan 24th 2006 4:40 pm

Hi,

Thankyou in Advance

Julie Owen

if you apply for and gain a green card then you CAN Work - ignore Ray he just likes to be terse and its am so he's grumpy.

Without the greencard then you'll have to gain a H1B of your own which will be VERY difficult & expensive unless you are already qualified at this point.

my advice would be go for the green card asap and get his work to pay as much as possible for the process.

USBound Jan 24th 2006 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by ladyofthelake
Unless you can get sponsored for an H1B yourself, or go study, you'll just have to wait for the green card to come through. You could be in for a long wait , depending on which category your husband comes under, best find a few good books to read... :rolleyes:

mine was applied for only a few months ago and I've been informed I'll have it by July...

snorkmaiden Jan 24th 2006 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by USBound
mine was applied for only a few months ago and I've been informed I'll have it by July...

Are you kidding? The feckers hubby's company have doing his application are so slow it's ridiculous, they haven't even sorted the PERM out yet, and we only have a priority date because they filed an LC application first and then requested to change to PERM. With our priority date we are looking at another four years or so I think, by which time eldest daughter will have aged out.

What did I miss, are you marrying Jackie and taking that route?

ladyofthelake Jan 24th 2006 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by USBound

Are you an H1B or an L1/2? I suspect the latter, thereby skipping the labor certification and more importantly not ending up in the EB3 visa category where only people with April 01 priority dates are being processed.

TouristTrap Jan 24th 2006 5:36 pm

Sorry, you won't be able to work until your GC comes through. It sucks for H4's. Hopefully they will change the law to include H4's. They only changed the law regarding L2's a couple of years ago. Before then, they weren't allowed to work either.

College is a great idea. Take the time out to get some more 'learnin' under your belt.

syllk Jan 24th 2006 5:50 pm

Why's everyone saying that she won't be able to work until they have their GCs? Did EADs completely disappear then? :confused:

Sue Jan 24th 2006 6:01 pm

errr..... has nobody noticed that Ray has resurrected a 2 year old thread!

Partystar Jan 24th 2006 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by Sue
errr..... has nobody noticed that Ray has resurrected a 2 year old thread!

I did think it was strange that somebody who registered over 3 years ago would have only posted once though!!!