Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

The Greatest American

View Poll Results: Who deserves the title of 'The Greatest American'?
George Washington
36.00%
Ronald Reagan
8.00%
Abraham Lincoln
16.00%
Martin Luther King Jr.
28.00%
Benjamin Franklin
12.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

The Greatest American

Old Jun 20th 2005, 5:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute
Default The Greatest American

No I'm not taking the piss and no oxymoron remarks either please.

Last night I was watching the program on Discovery about the 'Greatest American' and I wondered out of these five finalists who you would vote for.

FYI: George W. Bush was number 6.
Old Jun 20th 2005, 5:11 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Greatest American

Same position as his IQ.....apt

Originally Posted by anotherlimey

Last night I was watching the program on Discovery about the 'Greatest American' and I wondered out of these five finalists who you would vote for.

Old Jun 20th 2005, 5:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

BTW: The final is Sunday night on the Discovery channel.
Old Jun 20th 2005, 5:16 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: The Greatest American

Ha ha I've seen the adverts for this on TV and most people seemed to prefer Elvis!

I wouldn't really have a clue as I haven't grown up in the States and didn't study any US history in depth at school in England (I can only remember the Boston tea party bit and also the 'New Deal' in the Great Depression).

Probably my vote would go to whoever was the main proponent of anti-slavery which led to it being abolished (Civil War etc. etc.)....I'd better look it up...was it Lincoln?

They had this series in the UK a year or so ago and I would have loved to have seen it....pity BBC America hasn't shown it. I know that Jeremy Clarkson (Top Gear) argued for that great engineer Isambard Kingdom Brunel, but I think the vote went to Winston Churchill?
Old Jun 20th 2005, 5:16 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

But have you seen who else made the top 100 (see meet the nominees)?

http://tv.channel.aol.com/greatestamerican

Hugh Hefner?
Laura Bush?
Martha Stewart?
Donald Trump???
Rush sodding Limbaugh?????

FFS

Plus they seem to think Einstein was American despite not coming to the US until his late 50s and becoming a naturalized US citizen until the age of 61.
Old Jun 20th 2005, 5:17 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

BTW my step-son who is American totally gets 'Life of Brian' he invited his friends round to watch it......complete silence and quizzical looks
Old Jun 20th 2005, 5:18 pm

Did I just say 'totally gets'? noooooooooo..........
I'll be saying Aluminum next

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
BTW my step-son who is American totally gets 'Life of Brian' he invited his friends round to watch it......complete silence and quizzical looks
Old Jun 20th 2005, 5:19 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

I'd have to go for Franklin, or Edison.
Old Jun 20th 2005, 5:20 pm

Ben Franklin ..yes, Edison just stole other peoples ideas

Originally Posted by Manc
I'd have to go for Franklin, or Edison.
Old Jun 20th 2005, 5:23 pm

mdyoung is an unknown quantity at this point

I vote for Alexander Hamilton

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Hamilton
Old Jun 20th 2005, 5:24 pm

for his duelling ability?

Originally Posted by mdyoung
Old Jun 20th 2005, 5:26 pm

It's odd how Werner Von Braun never crops up! They wouldn't have got a man on the moon without him, even the yanks can't justify that one
Old Jun 20th 2005, 5:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Ha ha I've seen the adverts for this on TV and most people seemed to prefer Elvis!

I wouldn't really have a clue as I haven't grown up in the States and didn't study any US history in depth at school in England (I can only remember the Boston tea party bit and also the 'New Deal' in the Great Depression).

Probably my vote would go to whoever was the main proponent of anti-slavery which led to it being abolished (Civil War etc. etc.)....I'd better look it up...was it Lincoln?

They had this series in the UK a year or so ago and I would have loved to have seen it....pity BBC America hasn't shown it. I know that Jeremy Clarkson (Top Gear) argued for that great engineer Isambard Kingdom Brunel, but I think the vote went to Winston Churchill?
Yes it was Lincoln (according to the program). I would have gone with Washington, because without him the USA might have been a lot different, if it would have even existed as the USA.
Old Jun 20th 2005, 5:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by elfman
But have you seen who else made the top 100 (see meet the nominees)?

http://tv.channel.aol.com/greatestamerican

Hugh Hefner?
Laura Bush?
Martha Stewart?
Donald Trump???
Rush sodding Limbaugh?????

FFS

Plus they seem to think Einstein was American despite not coming to the US until his late 50s and becoming a naturalized US citizen until the age of 61.
Quite. William Gates, Oprah Winfrey, The Wright Brothers and Muhammed Ali all came lower than George Bush.
Old Jun 20th 2005, 5:29 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry. Bill Gates is not on the list so I can't vote.

Besides, all those on that list are dead. Not so great I feel

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.