Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Great places to live in the US??

Great places to live in the US??

Old Nov 3rd 2006, 7:46 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Great places to live in the US??

Bismarck North Dakota .... not overcrowded ...

how about this on 27 acres .... $310k
http://www.prairieroserealty.com/windy.htm
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 8:03 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

<--- grew up in Boston. The city itself is compact compared to other cities and very beautiful. The housing stock is very different compared to California: most houses are older and more worn. Boston's expensive (but nothing like California), the job market is very weak right now...not a great combination. Traffic is not too bad compared to other cities but the drivers are simply insane. Public transportation is actually good. Falls are spectacular, summers are steamy, winters are wet and miserable, springs are termed "mud season".

It's an OK place to live, but not that great.

I lived in DC for five years about ten years ago (so my comments could be well past their sell-by date). DC is really two cities: a very upscale and mostly white area (NW) that is almost subsumed by a larger, crime-ridden mostly black area (anthing not NW). Racial tensions were readily noticable to me living there. Georgetown is absolutely gorgeous (one of the best urban neighborhoods in the US, IMO) as is most of Capitol Hill, DuPont Circle/Mass Ave and parts of Adams Morgan. IMO, most everything else in the city is either pretty bad or downright scary. Frankly, the DC government brings ineptness to the level of art, it's the worst run place I've ever lived. The Maryland burbs are either fairly unexceptional (Silver Spring) or very swank (Chevy Chase). The northern VA burbs are typically huge, sprawling towns of brand new developments of McMansions. Alexandria and Arlington are both more urban and more interesting suburbs (to me at least). DC is very slightly cheaper than Boston (much cheaper than California). Summers are tropical, Winters are fairly mild (with occassional ice storms), Spring and Fall are both delightful (particualrly spring with the cherry blossoms). Traffic is awful, just awful. Public transportation is fairly good but the Metro doesn't go to Georgetown.

I wouldn't pick either city. Guess which city I'd pick.
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 8:03 pm
Open All Hours!

LeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
Okay, it's decision time. Having been here 20 years I'm thinking it's time to move on from CA due to various personal reasons. Where is a good place to relocate

i.e stable economy, safe, good school districts for kids, relatively affordable housing etc. etc.
I'm thinking somewhere that is accessible to major eastern cities such as NY, Philadelphia???, Washington DC for some culture, history and art galleries. Being a city boy I don't think I'd like to be too far out in the sticks and nowhere too hot like AZ, TX, NV.

Any ideas or recommendations, please give me your reasons why you would recommend it?
Was discussing the same thing with my friend earlier today, she lives in Fairfield, CT, hour from New York, houses prices are starting to come down. Have never been but looks nice.
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 8:09 pm

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11
<--- grew up in Boston. The city itself is compact compared to other cities and very beautiful. The housing stock is very different compared to California: most houses are older and more worn. Boston's expensive (but nothing like California), the job market is very weak right now...not a great combination. Traffic is not too bad compared to other cities but the drivers are simply insane. Public transportation is actually good. Falls are spectacular, summers are steamy, winters are wet and miserable, springs are termed "mud season".

It's an OK place to live, but not that great.

I lived in DC for five years about ten years ago (so my comments could be well past their sell-by date). DC is really two cities: a very upscale and mostly white area (NW) that is almost subsumed by a larger, crime-ridden mostly black area (anthing not NW). Racial tensions were readily noticable to me living there. Georgetown is absolutely gorgeous (one of the best urban neighborhoods in the US, IMO) as is most of Capitol Hill, DuPont Circle/Mass Ave and parts of Adams Morgan. IMO, most everything else in the city is either pretty bad or downright scary. Frankly, the DC government brings ineptness to the level of art, it's the worst run place I've ever lived. The Maryland burbs are either fairly unexceptional (Silver Spring) or very swank (Chevy Chase). The northern VA burbs are typically huge, sprawling towns of brand new developments of McMansions. Alexandria and Arlington are both more urban and more interesting suburbs (to me at least). DC is very slightly cheaper than Boston (much cheaper than California). Summers are tropical, Winters are fairly mild (with occassional ice storms), Spring and Fall are both delightful (particualrly spring with the cherry blossoms). Traffic is awful, just awful. Public transportation is fairly good but the Metro doesn't go to Georgetown.

I wouldn't pick either city. Guess which city I'd pick.

It looks like you've picked Chicago?
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 8:16 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Minneapolis and Chicago are both lovely cities that are in the winter. Elina might not have trouble with that much snow though.

If humidity is an issue, and it will be if you live on the East Coast, what about Colorado (Boulder comes to mind) or Northern California/Nevada (eg Sacramento, Reno)?

For culture and connectivity to the UK you can't beat NYC but you'll encounter high property costs and quite a bit of winter.
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 8:20 pm
Open All Hours!

LeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Minneapolis and Chicago are both lovely cities that are in the winter. Elina might not have trouble with that much snow though.

If humidity is an issue, and it will be if you live on the East Coast, what about Colorado (Boulder comes to mind) or Northern California/Nevada (eg Sacramento, Reno)?

For culture and connectivity to the UK you can't beat NYC but you'll encounter high property costs and quite a bit of winter.
Reno is a cess pit and Sacramento is not far behind. (Sorry if I offended anyone
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 8:24 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LeedsGirl
Reno is a cess pit and Sacramento is not far behind. (Sorry if I offended anyone
Ooookay .... they didn't seem that way to me, but I was a too-rist.
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 8:26 pm
Open All Hours!

Well, Reno is a cess pit, maybe Sacramento's not that bad. The in-laws live there so that's probably why I don't like the place .
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 8:26 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't go quite as far as LeedsGirl but...
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 8:27 pm
Lapine Member

Originally Posted by LeedsGirl
Well, Reno is a cess pit, maybe Sacramento's not that bad. The in-laws live there so that's probably why I don't like the place .
The governor's mansion was very nice (I didn't see the governor himself so that may have helped ) and having a large liberal university nearby (UC Davis) seems attractive.

What about northern northern California (as in the w(h)ine country)?
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 9:46 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

The governor's mansion was very nice (I didn't see the governor himself so that may have helped ) and having a large liberal university nearby (UC Davis) seems attractive.

What about northern northern California (as in the w(h)ine country)?
Apart from being in CA, 6000 miles from the US cities I named in my original post, expensive housing, nowhere near any museums and art galleries ( unless you drive to SF) and no other matches to my original outlined criteria ........ that's a great recommendation
Do you have ADD???
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 9:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

thought about FLorida - i hear Orlando is superb, near International Drive
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 10:05 pm
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=lionheart] I don't think I'd like to be too far out in the sticks and nowhere too hot like AZ, TX, NV.

QUOTE]

We didn't want you to come here anyways!
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 10:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Bismarck North Dakota .... not overcrowded ...

how about this on 27 acres .... $310k
http://www.prairieroserealty.com/windy.htm
As part of my quest to visit all 50 states, Bismarck is next on my list for a weekend visit.... North Dakota, btw, was the last of the 50 states that Clinton visited when he was President.
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 10:09 pm
Banned

Terrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
Chicago's a good choice!
I'll second that!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.