Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

GREAT news for K-1ers in Houston

GREAT news for K-1ers in Houston

Old Sep 30th 2001, 4:01 am
Forum Regular

Razor Oye is an unknown quantity at this point

This is MUCH shorter than my previous post - but I wanted to pass this piece of info to those K-1ers in Houston.

The National and Regional directors have pressured Houston to get the K-1 applicants for permanent residence processed MUCH faster. The rate a bit ago was 2-3 years becuase the K-1ers were lumped in with all applicants and this was judged as not-as-fair-as-it-should-be. The end result is a much faster approval period. Martha and I were interviewed there on the same day we filed for AOS and are only lacking the fingerpoints which Martha will take in a couple of weeks.

So, to those K-1ers in Houston - take heart. For now, things are definitely looking much better.

Best of luck,
Jonathan and Martha
Old Oct 1st 2001, 12:01 pm
Andy Platt

That is excellent news. Now if only they would realize that they don't need
fingerprints for K-1ers who's police check won't have timed out ...

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Oct 1st 2001, 12:29 pm
Tim

Jonathan,

Based on your statements here, did you hear (or do you believe) that the Houston
office will make an effort to expedite all pending AOS applications from K-1ers who
filed there in the last couple of years ? Many of us are still waiting patiently.

Your news is wonderful for NEW folks filing AOS from K-1s at Houston, but those of us
already in the loop may be left hanging. What do you think ?

Thanks, Tim

Razor Oye <[email protected]>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Oct 1st 2001, 9:45 pm
Forum Regular

Tim,

That is a good question. I am not sure about pending AOS status. I neglected to ask Jane - though I should have. The officer at the window, though, did allude to the ones that were already filed. She said that they are processing all K-1s more quickly. But she did not say 'expediting' which is a strict status statement there, with its own procedure. Thus, it is not a term thrown around loosely. Apparently the 3 year wait has been shortened to a few months for those in the queue. I think your best bet would be to write a letter to Jane letting her know of your situation. She really went to bat for us and for that we are eternally grateful - but she said that this is something all K-1ers should be eligible for. I also know that they are flagging the K-1 applicants for right now - I am not sure if that means K-1 filers in the past.

As I understood, though, the 3 years wait has been filed down to 4-6 months. Still not great, but better. It will likely be about 3-4 months before Martha receives her notice. We are hoping to get a belated Christmas present. It is a shame, though, that you cannot contact these people via phone. Perhaps a personal letter to her attention might yield some notification for you.

If there is anything else you need from me, please let me know!

Jonathan
Old Oct 2nd 2001, 11:53 am
Tim

Razor Oye <[email protected]>
    >
    >
    >
    >

LOL, I am already ahead of you ! I put a letter in the mail to Jane yesterday,
addressed to her c/o the Houston office. I know there is no guarantee she can help,
but it was worth a shot. It only took 10 minutes to write the letter. Thanks again
for giving me her name.

I'll let the group know if I ever hear from her. I included our telephone number and
email address in the letter so she can contact us quickly if she wants to.

Regards, Tim

P.S. Jonathan if she does come through then dinners on me ! You guys like Chinese ?

Old Oct 2nd 2001, 8:27 pm
Forum Regular

Tim -

I am ALWAYS down for Chinese. Please keep me posted if you hear anything from her. She seems very eager to help people who have done the work the K-1 requires. Often at the office, she said, they deal with the 130 because significant others (often wives) will come over from Mexico and they will get married - assuming that getting into the US will be simple b/c the marriage took place here. Only they don't anticipate the wait. I know those are backed up for a while (I think the figure was 3 yrs. and 8 mos.) - but Jane said that there is a push to process those K-1ers who have been in the queue for a while. I hope that the letter yields something favorable for you - again, let me know!

Fingers crossed,
Jonathan