Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Great credit card to build US credit.

Great credit card to build US credit.

Old Nov 5th 2011, 2:47 am
Just Joined

shanejet is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Great credit card to build US credit.

Hello,
Just in case anybody cares, we got fully approved two days ago for a home loan through HSBC.

We put 25% down payment, the interest rate is higher though at 5.3%, but still manageable.

At the time of first going for a loan we had no US credit history, they used an international credit rating (which doesn't actually give a credit rating, just shows what loans we have previously applied for etc).

Sorry to go off topic slightly, but it shows that you can get a home loan without US credit rating.
Old Nov 5th 2011, 5:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
The piggy backing trick of the past, which was what helped you, won't work these days.
I did that with my hubby too.
Old Dec 14th 2011, 2:41 am
Forum Regular

Eeteet is an unknown quantity at this point

This is odd, I just went online and used the liniWhat havr k at beginning of this thread. Filled out about 12 small sections and submitted it and got approved instantly on screen with 500the dollar limit. Set up the online banking username and password and card will be here in 7-10 days

I have zero credit history in usa and only got ssn 2 weeks ago, so it should work for others
Old Dec 14th 2011, 8:39 pm
Just Joined

SheffieldGuy is just really niceSheffieldGuy is just really niceSheffieldGuy is just really niceSheffieldGuy is just really niceSheffieldGuy is just really niceSheffieldGuy is just really niceSheffieldGuy is just really niceSheffieldGuy is just really nice

I didnt have so much luck with the Capital One Newcomers card

I've been here 4 weeks, have a SSN yet they didn't approve me.

I have no credit/address history in the US but this card is specifically designed for that so in my opinion the only factor they can consider is your earnings. I earn good money (well above average) and yet they still didn't approve me.

It's rather frustrating!
Old Dec 15th 2011, 2:30 am
BE Forum Addict

retzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond repute

Curiouser and curiouser...

I applied a good three years after arriving/SSN and no dice. I was going to say perhaps the lapsed time itself was the problem, but that doesn't explain SheffieldGuy's experience.

I wonder what they're doing