Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Great credit card to build US credit.

Great credit card to build US credit.

Old Sep 23rd 2011, 1:42 am
Forum Regular

chrisroach is a name known to allchrisroach is a name known to allchrisroach is a name known to allchrisroach is a name known to allchrisroach is a name known to allchrisroach is a name known to allchrisroach is a name known to allchrisroach is a name known to allchrisroach is a name known to allchrisroach is a name known to allchrisroach is a name known to all
Default Great credit card to build US credit.

I have been in the states now for 12 months and building credit has been a nightmare. (I got refused a target store card 4 months ago!). However, things are looking up, i managed to get a co-signer on a car loan, and tonight i got approved for a capital one - Cash Rewards for Newcomers credit card.

Looks like a good option for new expats. You even get 1% cash back
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 1:43 am
Yes, I know i'm awesome.

ljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Great credit card to build US credit.

Do you have a link?
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 2:33 am
Forum Regular

chrisroach is a name known to allchrisroach is a name known to allchrisroach is a name known to allchrisroach is a name known to allchrisroach is a name known to allchrisroach is a name known to allchrisroach is a name known to allchrisroach is a name known to allchrisroach is a name known to allchrisroach is a name known to allchrisroach is a name known to all

http://www.capitalone.com/creditcard...20_T_CP98919AW
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 1:58 pm
Just Joined

shanejet is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by chrisroach
I have been in the states now for 12 months and building credit has been a nightmare. (I got refused a target store card 4 months ago!). However, things are looking up, i managed to get a co-signer on a car loan, and tonight i got approved for a capital one - Cash Rewards for Newcomers credit card.

Looks like a good option for new expats. You even get 1% cash back
I got a proper credit card 1 month after we arrived in the states, it helped that we brought over some money and opened a BOA bank account.
Rang the bank after a month and asked for a credit card, got one with $1000 limit, didn't need to put any money onto it either.
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 4:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shanejet
I got a proper credit card 1 month after we arrived in the states, it helped that we brought over some money and opened a BOA bank account.
Rang the bank after a month and asked for a credit card, got one with $1000 limit, didn't need to put any money onto it either.
how some is some?
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 7:41 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by E3only
how some is some?
It's with BoA, so it's the same as signing up with the devil, so amounts don't mean to much
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 1:37 am
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Lol. True that.

My point was, there is no point comparing a case where OP wants CC and has no credit vs someone who brought in say 100k from UK. Of corse BOA will bend over backwards.

Originally Posted by Bob
It's with BoA, so it's the same as signing up with the devil, so amounts don't mean to much
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 12:23 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by E3only
how some is some?
It was 60k.

Who cares if it BofA or another bank, it is still a credit card, as long as you pay it off in time you will get no trouble from the bank.
And it builds up your credit score as well, so we are not complaining about the bank.
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 12:27 pm
Just Joined

It was 60k.

Who cares if it BofA or another bank, it is still a credit card, as long as you pay it off in time you will get no trouble from the bank.
And it builds up your credit score as well, so we are not complaining about the bank.
also forgot to add, we are getting a house mortgage through HSBC as well.
They seem to be one of the only banks that will use an international credit rating.

We do have to provide quite a lot of paperwork though to the underwriters (ie tax returns, proof that we are renting out our house back home, employment letter, breakdown of pay for the past three years etc etc).

We are only putting 25% down payment, and the loan is quite small, about $115,000.
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 3:55 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Who cares if it BofA or another bank, it is still a credit card, as long as you pay it off in time you will get no trouble from the bank. And it builds up your credit score as well, so we are not complaining about the bank.
You could say that about any banking product. Everything is fine until something is not, and then you find out who the good banks are. BofA is not known for being one of them.
Old Oct 5th 2011, 2:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

adjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond reputeadjudicator89 has a reputation beyond repute

Capital one was a first credit card that I applied for when I got my SS number and believe it or not my credit limit was 10k. Yes on first card. I couldn't believe it too. But I believe it had to do with something that my ex-wife put me on her credit card (Citi bank I believe) so that is why they gave me 10k. However, a friend of mine, when she got her SSN and had no credit at all she told me she applied with capital one as well and they approved her for 1000 dollars. I think thats pretty good for a first card with no credit history.(it was Capital One as well) So yes Capital one if I was you I would deff. give it a try. Let us know how it went :-)
Old Oct 5th 2011, 5:11 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by milan79
Capital one was a first credit card that I applied for when I got my SS number and believe it or not my credit limit was 10k. Yes on first card. I couldn't believe it too. But I believe it had to do with something that my ex-wife put me on her credit card (Citi bank I believe) so that is why they gave me 10k. However, a friend of mine, when she got her SSN and had no credit at all she told me she applied with capital one as well and they approved her for 1000 dollars. I think thats pretty good for a first card with no credit history.(it was Capital One as well) So yes Capital one if I was you I would deff. give it a try. Let us know how it went :-)
The piggy backing trick of the past, which was what helped you, won't work these days.
Old Oct 24th 2011, 9:06 pm
Forum Regular

RayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud of

I thought this Capital One card sounded good and decided to apply. After a week I got a letter saying I had been declined. The reason was - Based on the credit report from Equifax/Experian/Trans Union for x, credit bureau information is missing or unavailable.
How the hell can they advertise the card as -

New country, new credit — start building today!
Summary of Key Benefits:
A card designed to help those new to the U.S. build credit
with automatic reporting to three major credit bureaus

A complete waste of time!
Old Oct 24th 2011, 9:24 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RayM
I thought this Capital One card sounded good and decided to apply. After a week I got a letter saying I had been declined. The reason was - Based on the credit report from Equifax/Experian/Trans Union for x, credit bureau information is missing or unavailable.

Summary of Key Benefits:

Sooner or later all banks are a big shower of shit.

Try a BofA secured card, and then switch your business to a better card as soon as your rating's up (but don't cancel the BofA one, just convert it to a fee-free product).
Old Oct 24th 2011, 9:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by RayM

Summary of Key Benefits:

Nightmare!

We just got one through HSBC (via AIG/Travelguard expat programme) with a 10K limit, oddly it's the first time I have ever had a credit card ...I feel the shops calling me

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.