British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   GRE + Toefl (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/gre-toefl-267231/)

motivation Nov 18th 2004 9:00 am

GRE + Toefl

HI

I need to take them both . In case my grades where less the minmum requirements should I try to apply to the universities ? since my ungergradute gardes are OK with a 2 year work experience ?

dunroving Nov 18th 2004 2:00 pm

Re: GRE + Toefl

Originally Posted by motivation
HI

I need to take them both . In case my grades where less the minmum requirements should I try to apply to the universities ? since my ungergradute gardes are OK with a 2 year work experience ?

I'd say based on your level of English competence, you should purchase some study materials for both tests (I'm being serious, not flippant). You can get some great computer software for GRE these days.

Could you re-phrase your question - what are you asking? Whether you should wait until after you see your GRE and TOEFL scores before you apply? I'd say apply now anyway. If your scores are good enough, then your application will already be in (i.e., there are deadlines you need to meet, and for international stduents the process takes even longer).

AdobePinon Nov 18th 2004 4:31 pm

GRE is a real pain the ass. Especially if you need to take general and subject tests - you may want to do them on separate days. What this means is, like dunroving said, get this crap out of the way ASAP.

motivation Nov 18th 2004 4:54 pm

Hi again ,

1- For example if a university set in their requirements that the minimun for Toefl is 213 and I scored 200 , should I apply for it ?

2- I didn't prepaired for the Toefl and GRE well , should I take the exam begining of dec or postpond it until early Jan and send now only the application forms ?

NOTE : I heard that I can send the Toefl and GRE grades later , since most universities deadline are in december .?

thanks friends

AdobePinon Nov 18th 2004 5:08 pm

1 - Check with the universities - some will let you retake the test within a certain length of time after starting classes.
2 - Depends when the universities need the scores, how much preparing you need to do, whether you are confident you can get good enough scores the first time, etc... Also - some universities don't require GRE - might make a good back-up application?

Bob Nov 18th 2004 5:14 pm

GRE's are a bit of a joke, so wouldn't worry about them, but there are plenty of books you can get from Amazon that come with cd's with practice tests etc.

As to whether you need the results to apply, that depends on the unis and the courses, some might require it, but if the specific course you want to take makes them irrelevant, then contact the course tutor and see if they can waive them.