Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Grapes' questions on shipping (K-1 visa)

Grapes' questions on shipping (K-1 visa)

Old Feb 17th 2017, 4:09 pm
Forum Regular

Grapes is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Grapes' questions on shipping (K-1 visa)

Right then, my flights are all sorted; Manchester-Dublin, Dublin-Boston, Boston-Atlanta. Given myself 4.5hrs in Boston to get everything done and booked the flights separately, which ended up costing me half of what Virgin wanted for a Manchester-Atlanta direct flight!

My next problem is regarding my personal effects; I'm getting conflicting info from the shipping companies about when I can actually send them over so am looking for advice from people that have moved on a K-1...

Basically, they originally said no problem to taking my goods as long as I was in the US and I just needed to complete the relevant documentation, provide a copy of my visa and that was that. Now, they are saying that a K-1 is no good for importing and that I have to wait until after my AOS before they can collect. I've contacted the CBP Info Center in the US but they're not being clear on whether this is correct or not, I cannot seem to get a straight answer.

Those of you that have been there before, what did you do; any advice?
Old Feb 18th 2017, 3:07 am
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Grapes' questions on shipping (K-1 visa)

Just looked at your itinerary. You will be doing your immigration procedures in Dublin, not Boston, so I hope you've allowed enough time in Dublin. The extra time you've allowed in Boston could mean you're very bored there as you will be in domestic transit. Nothing to do. Not even a duty free shop to browse.

I shipped 31 boxes by cargo ship through Transglobal Express. All the way to Seattle it cost me around £250. The paperwork is tedious and the receiving agent that they use here in the US is an absolute idiot (he even calls at 7 am to chase a response to an email he sent 5 minutes earlier). His tone is very aggressive and rude. He kept calling me "Jane" and my name is nothing like Jane. Deal with Sebastian at your peril!

This was an IR-1 visa so I can't comment on how it works for K-1.
Old Feb 18th 2017, 12:35 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Grapes' questions on shipping (K-1 visa)

In 1998 when hubby shipped his household down from Ottawa, Canada to NYC area, the moving company needed a copy of his activated K-1 visa before the truck could come across the border. After he had faxed them a copy of the K-1 and I-94 with its stamps and notations, they were able to deliver his household belongings.

The problem you are encountering is that the K-1 is a NON-immigration visa and this is what the shipping company is seeing and why they are balking at shipping before you AOS. Perhaps someone can tell you another company to use that is familiar with this visa.