Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Granted removal from jurisdiction for children, can i claim maintenance for them?

Granted removal from jurisdiction for children, can i claim maintenance for them?

Old Jul 11th 2013, 8:59 pm
Forum Regular

Portsmouth-Portsmouth is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Granted removal from jurisdiction for children, can i claim maintenance for them?

I don't think the story behind this is simple. maybe the fight was not over the children. but over control
Old Jul 11th 2013, 9:13 pm
Just Joined

MelinUSA will become famous soon enoughMelinUSA will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Granted removal from jurisdiction for children, can i claim maintenance for them?

Originally Posted by civilservant
I disagree - if he's having the child support deducted from his income enforced by the CSA (for which I used to work) and he probably has a low income, to expect that he should continue to pay for the children AND have to fund trips to see his kids is really unfair.

Talk about eating your cake and having it too.
Just a little bit more background for you- he has a DEO imposed through the CSA as he refused to pay any maintenance and is actually in a very well paid job (a higher earner than my husband) with no wife or other dependants to support. I was awarded removal from jurisdiction for a number of reasons including the fact he dropped contact with the children for a few years and only put up a fight when he found out I intended to relocate.

Originally Posted by Cardienscarf
I do agree that he shouldn't have to fund trips for his children to visit him or for him to visit them. That should be provided by the mother if she's choosing to take them away, but I do think he should continue to support them at the rate he is now.

Having said that, my situation was different in that my children's father and I agreed to all the terms and he was quite happy for me to take them to the US. We split up because he wasn't that interested in being a father so I never felt like I was depriving him of his children. Looking back and knowing what I know now, I'm not sure I'd take that road again. The kids had great summer holidays back in the UK, but now they have the curse of the ex-pat and one of them has a harder time with that than the other. Not to mention that, like many others, I've now got one in each country which I didn't think about when we moved over.

I have never thought about the future of my children and whether any of them return to the UK and my family living in 2 continents - food for thought there!!

Last edited by MelinUSA; Jul 11th 2013 at 9:22 pm.
Old Jul 11th 2013, 11:14 pm

Cardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MelinUSA
Just a little bit more background for you- he has a DEO imposed through the CSA as he refused to pay any maintenance and is actually in a very well paid job (a higher earner than my husband) with no wife or other dependants to support. I was awarded removal from jurisdiction for a number of reasons including the fact he dropped contact with the children for a few years and only put up a fight when he found out I intended to relocate.

I have never thought about the future of my children and whether any of them return to the UK and my family living in 2 continents - food for thought there!!
There's always more to it than first meets the eye!

There are several here on BE who find ourselves on different continents than our children. My youngest son who was 3 when we moved to the US, always felt that he belonged in the UK and as soon as he graduated High School he returned. He did extremely well in the US school system and I think appreciates many aspects of growing up there, but it's taken its toll on him and continues to do so in his 20's. I've just moved back to the UK myself after 22 years leaving my eldest son who is quite settled there. It never occurred to me that I/we would be in this predicament. Now I know how my mum felt when I left the UK!