Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Grandmother not going to make it through stroke....How can I get back home quickly!

Grandmother not going to make it through stroke....How can I get back home quickly!

Old Jan 21st 2006, 5:31 pm
Just Joined

Lostman has a brilliant futureLostman has a brilliant futureLostman has a brilliant futureLostman has a brilliant futureLostman has a brilliant futureLostman has a brilliant futureLostman has a brilliant future
Default Grandmother not going to make it through stroke....How can I get back home quickly!

I am K1 and waiting for AOS and EAD how can I get advance parole quickly? Because of this incident do i have more leeway?
Old Jan 21st 2006, 6:15 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Grandmother not going to make it through stroke....How can I get back home quickl

Originally Posted by Lostman
I am K1 and waiting for AOS and EAD how can I get advance parole quickly? Because of this incident do i have more leeway?
I would suggest posting on the US Marriage Based Forum.

NC Penguin
Old Jan 21st 2006, 6:41 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Grandmother not going to make it through stroke....How can I get back home quickly!

sorry to hear you sad news...I don't know the answer but feel sure there must be special privileges for these incidents...also try to get a special deal with the airlines as this trip will be on compassionate grounds..........good luck
Old Jan 21st 2006, 6:54 pm
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Grandmother not going to make it through stroke....How can I get back home quickl

Go to uscis.gov and find the link for InfoPass.

Make yourself an appointment to go to your local DO through this.

You will need to take along some proof of your situation, (letter from your Gran's doc/hospital or similar).

You will have to submit the I-131 and proof of having filed your AOS, at least, along with the fee. Make sure you double-check all details and that the fee is correct. IIRC, we could only pay by cheque at my DO but your mileage may vary so best to have all your bases covered just in case.

Good luck with getting it sorted.
Old Jan 22nd 2006, 10:23 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Grandmother not going to make it through stroke....How can I get back home quickly!

Sorry to here about your news.

A few yrs ago when we were waiting for our GC to come thro my father-in-law had an heart attack. Our attorney said that we would have to apply for parole in order to return to the US. We had to get a letter faxed by the consultant at the hospital stating the severity of his condition. Then wait practically all night (in Feb!!) outside the INS in Newark to get our letter of parole. We were taken to an interview room at the airport upon our return to the US even tho all the paper work was in order.

There is not a problem leaving the US during this time the problem occurs when you try to re-enter. I believe your application is then cancelled and you have to re-apply and cannot re-enter until the GC is thro.
Old Jan 22nd 2006, 10:28 pm
Forum Regular

John Murray will become famous soon enoughJohn Murray will become famous soon enough

Don't know about visa stuff - but I had to go home for a family funeral 2 weeks ago, on very short notice. 1-800 Fly Europe got me an excellent deal on a flight with British Airways. Give them a try.
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 12:37 am
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
We were taken to an interview room at the airport upon our return to the US even tho all the paper work was in order.
That is not unusual - it's called secondary inspection. The majority of people who use AP will find themselves going through exactly the same on their return to the States.

There is not a problem leaving the US during this time the problem occurs when you try to re-enter. I believe your application is then cancelled and you have to re-apply and cannot re-enter until the GC is thro.
It will be assumed that you have abandoned your AOS unless you have applied for and gotten AP prior to leaving.
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 12:43 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FlyergirlUK
That is not unusual - it's called secondary inspection. The majority of people who use AP will find themselves going through exactly the same on their return to the States.

It will be assumed that you have abandoned your AOS unless you have applied for and gotten AP prior to leaving.

Yes it was quite routine, we were kept for about 15 mins thats all. Our parole letter also allowed us to leave on subsequent occasions. I seem to remember our attorney asking for this when we originally applied for parole as my husband travels overseas on business.