Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Government Pension and Allowances Help needed please.

Government Pension and Allowances Help needed please.

Old Aug 2nd 2018, 10:42 pm
Just Joined

scuba11 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Government Pension and Allowances Help needed please.

I currently live in the UK

I am currently in receipt of a Government Pension (GP), paid every Wednesday direct into my Bank Account.
I have undertaken some of my own research I have found a few sticking points.

I have several questions;

1. For personal reasons I am moving to Houston, I understand that the UK has an arrangement with the USA to pay GP into my Bank Account whilst in the USA.

a)Will it be paid into my UK Bank account and I then access it via an ATM?
b)Will it be paid in GBP or Dollars, either UK Account or USA Account?
c)Will I need to open up a US Bank Account Once I have my Green Card and have the GP paid directly into it?

2. There are various amounts being talked about as to what I can or cannot earn, what is the true figure?
3. What is the information as regards yearly increase in GP amount if applicable?

Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 3rd 2018, 2:31 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Government Pension and Allowances Help needed please.

1) You can have your UK pension paid into a UK bank account or a US bank account. The choice as to which is yours. If paid in the UK it is in pounds and you are responsible for transferring it to the USA. If paid into a US bank account it will be in dollars and other than giving the DWP your US bank details there is nothing more for you to do.

2) Off the top of m head I don't know the answer.

3) If you are living in the USA you will get the same cost of living increase in your UK pension as those living in the UK receive.

Those answers assume you are talking about the UK State pension or a UK Government occupational pension. If you are talking about a benefit of some description then different rules apply. You need to be clear on what it is you receive.

Last edited by lansbury; Aug 3rd 2018 at 2:34 am.
Old Aug 3rd 2018, 2:42 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

OP, if are emigrating to the US on a green card (e.g. becoming a permanent resident of the US), why wouldn’t you open a US bank account, into which your UK pension can then be paid directly, in dollars.
Old Aug 3rd 2018, 3:52 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Based on your other posts you were also looking at Canada. What visa are you planning on getting to live in the US? Have you considered the cost of US Healthcare for a retired person since you will not be Medicare eligible?