British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Government bonds vs Certificate of deposit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/government-bonds-vs-certificate-deposit-482696/)

ScottD Sep 21st 2007 5:15 pm

Government bonds vs Certificate of deposit

I have some money to save . what is better, government bonds or certificate of deposit . I live in Florida which has no income tax

Tarkak9 Sep 21st 2007 6:53 pm

Re: Government bonds vs Certificate of deposit

Both are regarded as low risk investing. if its a concern for you and part of your decision, also look into the realm of fed tax liability at the time of maturity. Bonds and T-Bills' "interest" earned as income typically are not subject to fed tax but often are at state levels (where applicable) and/or vise versa - yet CD's its fair game. (i'm not an expert so dbl chk). Maturity period is something people factor too. Many people may have varying opinions here about which is better, investing in a bank or government?

fatbrit Sep 21st 2007 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by ScottD (Post 5338648)
I have some money to save . what is better, government bonds or certificate of deposit . I live in Florida which has no income tax

Little or no info to go on.

Are you still earning? How old are you? What is your status in the US? How much are you worth? Do you have any dependents? The list goes on and on...

Ray Sep 21st 2007 8:27 pm

I was only reading all this yesterday
http://www.treasurydirect.gov/tdhome.htm

Ray Sep 21st 2007 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by Tarkak9 (Post 5338989)
Both are regarded as low risk investing. if its a concern for you and part of your decision, also look into the realm of fed tax liability at the time of maturity. Bonds and T-Bills' "interest" earned as income typically are not subject to fed tax but often are at state levels (where applicable) and/or vise versa - yet CD's its fair game. (i'm not an expert so dbl chk). Maturity period is something people factor too. Many people may have varying opinions here about which is better, investing in a bank or government?

I think from what I read yesterday its the other way around Yes to Fed tax no to State tax ..your vise versa was right

BritGuyTN Sep 21st 2007 9:21 pm

they are both crap

open a HSBC direct savings account and get 5% without being locked in

if you want a more long term thing get a couple of mutual funds

Ray Sep 21st 2007 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN (Post 5339461)
they are both crap

Yup .that suits me as well ...

scotch03 Sep 27th 2007 1:55 am

I agree - both are crap and savings accounts can compete with the interest rate.

As long as you are looking to save and not invest and make the money work then the savings account is the way to go. Some good info at bankrate.com

frrussre Sep 27th 2007 4:17 am

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN (Post 5339461)
they are both crap

I just received an email, internet rate dropped to 4.5% APY. Emigrant (NY) still 5.05%. Of cousre they are all about to drop back a bit. There are a few banks out there offering as much as 6% ?? online.

Reg. Frank R.

BritGuyTN Sep 27th 2007 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by frrussre (Post 5359130)
I just received an email, internet rate dropped to 4.5% APY. Emigrant (NY) still 5.05%. Of cousre they are all about to drop back a bit. There are a few banks out there offering as much as 6% ?? online.

Reg. Frank R.

yep, I got that email also. Emmigrant has had good rates for a while, I just haven't saved anything for a long time :(

Ray Sep 27th 2007 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by frrussre (Post 5359130)

Reg. Frank R.

The Bastards ...lol...

frrussre Sep 27th 2007 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 5360900)
The Bastards ...lol...

Yep, tho probably without fathers or mothers!
Banks lend money, to sub prime lenders. Banks (HSBC is a front runner on losses), lose $billions, Fed reduces the rate. No brainer, the savers get screwed. Which bank will be next.
Reg. Frank R.

:curse: