Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Which government agencies in the UK do you notify you're immigrating ???

Which government agencies in the UK do you notify you're immigrating ???

Old Jan 10th 2003, 9:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

katnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to all
Default Which government agencies in the UK do you notify you're immigrating ???

Hi,

My fiance has his interview next Friday, and fingers crossed, he gets it.
However, in the meantime we were wondering which government agencies he would need to notify to let them know he is immigrating to the states, or does the US Embassy do that once they issue the visa.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Kat
Old Jan 10th 2003, 10:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

abba48uk is an unknown quantity at this point

Well....certainly the Inland Revenue! He will need to complete a Form P85 declaring the date on which he is emigrating and then in the USA send to the IRS a Form FD13 (US/Individual) which will be forwarded on the the UK tax authorities by the IRS. He should cease to be taxed in the UK (if he has any continuing income there) and become taxed by the IRS. Of course, it will all take time to get through the system........but what else is new? He may well be entitled to a rebate from the Inland Revenue since a FULL year's allowances will be applied. It would probably be useful for him to telephone the Inland Revenue (0845 070 0040 or 44 151 210 2222 if calling from overseas) they are very helpful.

I dont know what his position is with regard to State pension (i.e will he have any entitlement in due course?). He would need to contact the Benefits Agency to establish the position and, if he HAS any future entitlement, would probably need to let them have a copy of his marriage certificate in due course.
Old Jan 10th 2003, 10:55 pm
Forum Regular

kitty-uk is an unknown quantity at this point

You also have to send back your NH card, some thing I wouldn't have thought of if I hadn't been looking for the same answers
as kat
My list of things I need to sort out being
tax, doctors, pensons (work) plus state, child benefit, csa, Nh card.

Thats to date, might be updated as and when I find some thing else
Old Jan 10th 2003, 11:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

dazeychain is an unknown quantity at this point

The Inland Revenue is the most important one! Call them up and ask them for an Immigrating form, I forget the number of the document. This form asks questions about how long you'll be leaving the UK, if you'll still be making money in the UK, if you have a pension in the UK etc.

You might also want to un-register from your NHS doctor and dentisit, and let someone else have your place, as they're pretty thin on the ground in many parts of the country.

I didn't have to consider anything else, but I was 22 and single when I left, I realise others have more complex lives!

Peace,

D.
Old Jan 11th 2003, 1:34 am
Forum Regular

Jo Brayne is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah and if you are leaving the UK you are *emigrating*.
Immigrating is when you come into a country.

Inland rev, your doctor and dentist so they can close your files, and generally anyone you get mail from so that you dont leave a pile of unwanted mail for the next resident of your vacated residence. I'll be notifying Freemans, Lakeland and other catalogues like ScrewFix. A few others too including Texas Monthly so I can continue to get my magazine in Texas.