Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Gotta love this job description...

Gotta love this job description...

Old Jun 17th 2005, 11:53 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gotta love this job description...

Originally Posted by Bob
depends on the job...don't need to be a citizen to apply to be a cop in some places, but do need to be one to accept a position
Okay, just to clarify. You can apply and if you get it, you can't accept it

Old Jun 18th 2005, 12:22 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

May be worth contact with http://www.eeoc.gov/. Know someone who used them (not on the particular matter under question) and they were magic. I think you can claim they are discriminating against you because of your national origin. Basically, the EEOC hit the employer with their big stick, then provided all the ammunition so the employee could bring a civil damages case without paying a fortune for a lawyer since all the leg work was already done.
Old Jun 18th 2005, 12:49 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rincewind
Okay, just to clarify. You can apply and if you get it, you can't accept it
hehe...well someone was saying in CA...as long as you've applied to citizenship, you can apply for a job...probably can do the training as well....
Old Jun 18th 2005, 2:12 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
May be worth contact with http://www.eeoc.gov/. Know someone who used them (not on the particular matter under question) and they were magic. I think you can claim they are discriminating against you because of your national origin. Basically, the EEOC hit the employer with their big stick, then provided all the ammunition so the employee could bring a civil damages case without paying a fortune for a lawyer since all the leg work was already done.

You're a mine of useful information!

But how much more Karma do I need to spread before I can 'do' you again - I can't even remember the last occasion!

Elvira
Old Jun 18th 2005, 3:18 am
BE Forum Addict

CalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really nice

Originally Posted by rincewind
"Required Skills: MUST BE A US CITIZEN."

The Company has an over forty-year history of staffing innovation and service excellence in both the U.S. and internationally

Just don't be an international if you want a job

B*stards!!
This is illegal unless they can it can be justified. By justification, they have to demonstrate that the law prevents them from hiring anyone but a US citizen.

The law does permit employers to prefer US citizens, permanent residents and other people in a "protected status" (mainly obscure categories that pander to the Mexican lobby). In other words, if you are on a K3, K1, whatever, then an employer is permitted to discriminate based on nothing else but your visa status.

They may not, however, discriminate based on national origin -- period. So you can't refuse to hire someone because they are not US born, for example. But you can refuse to hire someone because they are a K3 visa holder.

My visa status was never an issue in finding a job. Why would it be? I never told anyone about it.
Old Jun 18th 2005, 3:55 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CalgaryAMC
My visa status was never an issue in finding a job. Why would it be? I never told anyone about it.
They ask you what you'll use to satisfy the I-9...and if it ain't a greencard...
plus they can figure out your a foreigner by the education and experience, and if you had a greencard, you'd probably mention it...