British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Got the terror cell (re: London bombs) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/got-terror-cell-re-london-bombs-313517/)

Franklin Jul 12th 2005 4:42 pm

Got the terror cell (re: London bombs)

Anyone heard the news? The terror cell has been identified, at least one arrest ... at least one of the bombers killed in the bus explosion. Londoner's must be breathing a sigh of relief.

anotherlimey Jul 12th 2005 4:45 pm

Re: Got the terror cell (re: London bombs)

Originally Posted by Franklin
Anyone heard the news? The terror cell has been identified, at least one arrest ... at least one of the bombers killed in the bus explosion. Londoner's must be breathing a sigh of relief.

I just caught that, did you also read the timeline? Police believe all four bombers are dead.

Here's the link: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4676225.stm

Franklin Jul 12th 2005 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
I just caught that, did you also read the timeline? Police believe all four bombers are dead.

There seems to be some confusion, my mum rang me a few minutes ago, she said the bus bomber died in the bus explosion and the Aldgate bomber died at that explosion ... but there has been an arrest ... so there might be someone who was involved, but not killed in the explosions.

anotherlimey Jul 12th 2005 4:51 pm

There seems to be some confusion, my mum rang me a few minutes ago, she said the bus bomber died in the bus explosion and the Aldgate bomber died at that explosion ... but there has been an arrest ... so there might be someone who was involved, but not killed in the explosions.

Yes, these are just initial reports. The BBC have no mention of suicide bombers on their main pagem just that single page I linked to.

TaffyinOK Jul 12th 2005 5:13 pm

Yes, these are just initial reports. The BBC have no mention of suicide bombers on their main pagem just that single page I linked to.

As you said, initial reports only at this stage. I just caught the latest on my boss's TV (Fox News) and saw that all 4 bombers were captured on video. At the very least, I think we can hope/believe that the net is closing.

snowbunny Jul 12th 2005 5:27 pm

This is reminding me of the Spooks episode where an imam in Birmingham is training suicide bombers. :(

gloria Jul 12th 2005 5:28 pm

Apparantly the family of one of the bombers reported him missing to the Met an hour after the underground bombs went off and thats why they raided 6 addresses in the Leeds area this morning.

nxylas Jul 12th 2005 6:24 pm

Anyone heard the news? at least one of the bombers killed in the bus explosion.

Good.

Lottie Jul 12th 2005 11:52 pm

Hubby and I are completely stunned.

Have spent the past hour listening to the BBC world and BBC local news on the internet about this. Burley in Leeds currently has a group of 700+ people evacuated due to the potential threat of explosives found in a house in the Kelsall's. This is 3 streets from where we lived a few years ago as postgrad students. I really feel for the community there. There has always been tension in the community - there were riots in 1995 if my memory serves (which for some reason I managed to sleep through). I really hope that people appreciate that the terrorists are the minority in the community.

Still stunned.

scrubbedexpat099 Jul 13th 2005 5:19 am

Originally Posted by nxylas
Good.

Sounds like all 4 got it.

Better, and at least reduces the tally.

I can se it bringing up the whole definition of what constitutes being British, now they may have been British Citizens, and I have no objection to that description.

joto Jul 13th 2005 10:37 am

I hope its true that at least some of the bombers died in the explosions, but the trouble is, there always seems to be more coming up to take their place.

nxylas Jul 13th 2005 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler
Sounds like all 4 got it.

Better, and at least reduces the tally.

Yup. I don't believe in capital punishment (I'm a great believer in the "higher ground" mentality), but neither do I shed a tear when these "people" blow themselves up along with the innocents they kill.

doctor scrumpy Jul 13th 2005 4:19 pm

I read the uncle of one of the scum claim his nephew had been in pakistan for 2 months of religious learning this year, and that the family knew they woulkd have to move.

No doubt when they move the powers that be will hlep them financially, would they do that for the families of other murderers I wonder ?

nxylas Jul 13th 2005 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by doctor scrumpy
No doubt when they move the powers that be will hlep them financially, would they do that for the families of other murderers I wonder ?

If they were particularly notorious. There are some idiots out there who will attack innocent members of a murderer's family.

Celtic_Angel Jul 13th 2005 4:24 pm

Here's the link: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4676225.stm

Counter-terrorist officers tell the BBC they believe all four of the bomb suspects are British born.

ooh that's a bit worrying...what happened to love of your country?? If they don't like it why don't they just leave? It's so much easier to think of the terrorists as some crazys who have smuggled themselves into the country recently rather than British born and bred :(