Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Got my L-1, moving in Nov: advice appreciated

Got my L-1, moving in Nov: advice appreciated

Old Nov 8th 2017, 4:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Got my L-1, moving in Nov: advice appreciated

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
Going back to the banking...
they (HSBC) help overcome a lot of the problems faced when newly arrived
1. you can open the account before you leave home country
2. They will send you your US debit card before you leave home country
3. They will get you an unsecured credit card for immediate use in the USA
4.Transferring money between foreign and domestic HSBC accounts is real time.

I don't know about anyone else, but I've been using internet banking with first direct since they first opened (20+ years ago) and I have an online CU account in the USA now.

So, in balance, I think that if you are newly arrived and are in the least bit used to online banking, it's probably not a bad way to go.

On the other hand, if you want a fee free local checking account that is opened the same day but don't need a credit card immediately, then I'd probably recommend WF. And that never, ever goes down well here on BE either.
We went with WF - they've been ok, touch wood I only have the one account with them that I know of still :-)

HSBC were an utter fail - never managed to get the account set-up here, loads of hoops to go through in comparison to the lax approach of WF. Horrible experience, and I remain a UK customer.
Old Nov 8th 2017, 7:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
That's not true - I was put on the payroll by my employer, a large multinational corporation, before I got my SSN.
Me too. Took nearly three months for me.
Old Nov 15th 2017, 1:41 pm
Just Joined

jackcharles is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rete
On the SS number front, it is not advisable to go to the local SS Office asa you get here. Your status will not be in the SAVE system and your social security number/card can be held up by 2 or more months if they have to manually verify your status.

The general rule of thumb is to wait 7 to 10 working days before heading to the social security office.

You can be placed on the payroll and healthcare plan by HR's use of a dummy social security number, i.e. 123-45-6789 and when you get the card it can be updated.
That's not true - I was put on the payroll by my employer, a large multinational corporation, before I got my SSN.

My work HR has advised me to go to get an SSN ASAP was per jammiie's experience, stating categorically that they cannot pay me until I have a social security number. So now, it sounds like that's my first priority alongside opening up a bank account without SSN if possible.

Is having a US checking account absolutely critical to pay for security deposit / rent on an apartment tenancy?

Thanks again for the advice, all.
Old Nov 15th 2017, 1:53 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackcharles
My work HR has advised me to go to get an SSN ASAP was per jammiie's experience, stating categorically that they cannot pay me until I have a social security number. So now, it sounds like that's my first priority alongside opening up a bank account without SSN if possible.

Is having a US checking account absolutely critical to pay for security deposit / rent on an apartment tenancy?

You don't need an SSN to open a non-interest bearing account, but as with your experience with your employer, not all banks/branch staff know that. It should be possible to open a basic checking account using your passport and the passport number to meet the "government issued ID number" requirement of the USA PATRIOT Act.
Old Nov 15th 2017, 2:16 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

This is very company dependant.

However, the good news is the the I94s seem to be showing up fairly quickly.
Go to https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/#/home and "get most recent i94" if it is showing up here, print out a copy and you can go immediately to the SS office with it.
My last client had it show up the day after arrival, we went to the office two days later and he had his card in the mail within 4 days.
Old Nov 15th 2017, 2:19 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

If you can get a "certified check" or "money order" then that is usally ok too. Obviously all must be in US$

Also, apartment complexes will accept a foreign debit /credit card - Private landlords won't.

Why don't you just go straight to WF and open an account though? Takes 60 minutes and you can open it with $25 then get money transferred in.
Old Nov 15th 2017, 2:44 pm
Just Joined

jackcharles is an unknown quantity at this point

This is very company dependant.

However, the good news is the the I94s seem to be showing up fairly quickly.
Go to https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/#/home and "get most recent i94" if it is showing up here, print out a copy and you can go immediately to the SS office with it.
My last client had it show up the day after arrival, we went to the office two days later and he had his card in the mail within 4 days.
Thanks, I saw the social security office would either want my i-94 or stamped passport. Hopefully the i-94 updates pretty sharply after my arrival.

You don't need an SSN to open a non-interest bearing account, but as with your experience with your employer, not all banks/branch staff know that. It should be possible to open a basic checking account using your passport and the passport number to meet the "government issued ID number" requirement of the USA PATRIOT Act.
If you can get a "certified check" or "money order" then that is usally ok too. Obviously all must be in US$

Also, apartment complexes will accept a foreign debit /credit card - Private landlords won't.

Why don't you just go straight to WF and open an account though? Takes 60 minutes and you can open it with $25 then get money transferred in.
I'll get an appointment and go to a bank before Thanksgiving if I can and hopefully my passport should be enough to get a basic checking account.

Thanks!
Old Nov 15th 2017, 2:53 pm
Austin. TX.

Thanks, I saw the social security office would either want my i-94 or stamped passport. Hopefully the i-94 updates pretty sharply after my arrival.

I'll get an appointment and go to a bank before Thanksgiving if I can and hopefully my passport should be enough to get a basic checking account.

Thanks!
Phone and ask for an appointment with someone that has experience opening an account for a new arrival to the US with no social security number.

You should be able to open a " preferred" checking account if your salary will be paid in by "direct deposit"
You will need
proof of address - anything with your name on it in the USA ( offer letter from work will do if nothing else, otherwise an invoice from wherever you are staying provided it has your name on it)
2 forms of ID - a passport with your visa in it is great and a current credit or debit card with your name on it.
A US contact phone number - a colleague's/friend's will be fine.

That's it. Tell them you will send them your social security number when you have it.

Ask for a temp debit card and temp checks

Good to go!