Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Got my L-1, moving in Nov: advice appreciated

Got my L-1, moving in Nov: advice appreciated

Old Oct 27th 2017, 6:54 pm
Forum Regular

RollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Got my L-1, moving in Nov: advice appreciated

We moved everything since our moving costs were being paid for. However once we got here, with the pressure and hassle of moving, we gave in, boxed all our electrical stuff (apart from the Hi Fi) and bought new. Changing all the plugs would be a PI our A's. Once we'd moved we were shattered and in the end you do whatever you have to do to get through the day.
We've got a cool tv now though. Our tv in the UK we gave to friend, it wouldn't have been big enough here anyway.

Then we had to get a HUGE sectional to match the cool tv and fill the space we have. The kids were delighted.

Last edited by RollingStones; Oct 27th 2017 at 6:57 pm. Reason: spelling
Old Oct 27th 2017, 7:09 pm
Forum Regular

RollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond repute

Of course, the downside of having a 'sensible other half' you tend to assume they do sensible things...like knowing where the passports were at all times!!!

Three days before we were due to fly, the container left the house for the Felixstowe after a gruelling 3 days packing. I didn't even think about the blinking passports. The 'sensible OH' and I were winding down in our hotel with a drink at the end of a long day. He'd been in the office, my head was spinning, and he says to me "Where are the passports?"

Oh yes, they were in the container!!
Three days later we'd had to reschedule our flights to San Fran at 'not-unsubstantial' expense, pay for the haulier to pull the container back to London, missed our booked and paid for tickets to Alcatraz, and two night stay in San Francisco.
Still...nobody died.
Old Oct 27th 2017, 11:08 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

the main thing i use checks for is for sending money into school, paying for things at kids events (like at boy scouts or girl scouts) or purchasing things at the door (ie kids selling items fundraising for their school or similar).
Old Oct 27th 2017, 11:34 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MsElui
the main thing i use checks for is for sending money into school, paying for things at kids events (like at boy scouts or girl scouts) or purchasing things at the door (ie kids selling items fundraising for their school or similar).
Agreed, most of our need for checks is created by little Miss P.
Old Oct 28th 2017, 9:27 am
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

I paid rent by check, posting it off every month. Other online and modern methods incurred extra charges around $30+ per month, a lot more than the price of a stamp.
Old Oct 28th 2017, 12:16 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yellowroom
I paid rent by check, posting it off every month. Other online and modern methods incurred extra charges around $30+ per month, a lot more than the price of a stamp.
I did that for 36 years until Citibank started the service of writing the checks and mailing them for me. Set up the account to do that and never had to worry about writing a check to the management company again. It was only in the 39th year that the management company came of age and opened an account at their bank that I was able to pay electronically as I did all my other bills. Then, of course, I moved in the 40th year but at least the mortgage is paid electronically so no worries about that being late.

Last edited by Rete; Oct 28th 2017 at 12:29 pm.
Old Oct 28th 2017, 12:29 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

As for the apartment being available for moving into immediately or within a week of letting, it is dependent on the type of apartment you are renting. If it is in a private house, you might be able to do just that. If it is in an apartment building, you might not be able to move until the 15th or last day of the month.

I'm basing my knowledge on apartment rentals in the New York City/lower Westchester rental arena. In apartment buildings of good repute, the tenant who is moving out gives 30 days notice that they will be vacating the premises. Once they have gone, the management company/owner will start advertising "apartment for rent' or hand it over to the real estate agent who will bring in prospective tenants. During that time, the apartment is repainted in white (yuck), repairs made and viewing allowed. In areas like NY and Boston, apartments are in high demand so they don't stay empty for long.

The lease for the apartment will run from the 1st of the month until the last day of the ending month of the lease. It is up to the management company/landlord as to whether you can move in earlier then the start of your lease period.

Back in dinosaur days, I was able to move into my apartment on the 15th of the month preceding my lease period by paying a 1/2 month's rent on the side to the management company. Not legal but it worked.

Private home apartments are handled differently has you may be dealing with the owner personally. Be pleasant, cordial and you will be able to work things out with them.

One thing to note and this pertains to NY so not sure if it also is in MA, but more and more standard leases state that 3/4's of the apartment must be carpeted. NY high rise apartments are usually not carpeted and you have to buy carpeting out of your own pocket and the lease will tell you that you have to remove it when you vacate the property. Again, this is NY and it doesn't pertain to private home apartments but to large high rise buildings.

Check that out in MA. Your fellow co-workers should be able to steer you in the right direction.
Old Oct 28th 2017, 5:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Just one reminder to the OP - I note that your company is paying shipping costs as part of your relocation package and will, quite possibly, also be either paying for, or reimbursing you for, other move related expenses.

You should be aware that things that the company pays for directly or reimburses you for will, generally, be regarded as taxable income. You should also be aware that, while the IRS does allow deductions for various relocation expenses, there are very specific rules about precisely what is and is not allowable as a deduction - consequently it is quite possible that not everything that the company pays for will be deductible.

Last edited by md95065; Oct 28th 2017 at 5:24 pm.
Old Oct 28th 2017, 6:14 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Usually an employee is given a lump sum "grossed up" to cover tax liability which is used to pay for non-deductible benefits. Extra furniture, electronics, deposits on properties etc.
Old Oct 28th 2017, 7:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
Usually an employee is given a lump sum "grossed up" to cover tax liability which is used to pay for non-deductible benefits. Extra furniture, electronics, deposits on properties etc.
In my experience, *sometimes* an employee is given a lump sum which is *sometimes* grossed up to account for the tax liability.
Old Oct 28th 2017, 7:07 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
In my experience, *sometimes* an employee is given a lump sum which is *sometimes* grossed up to account for the tax liability.
and sometimes they get nothing except their flights paid for.

Doesn't seem to be the case here.

In my working experience, if the employee is getting a goodish relocation package ( as the OP seems to be), then it is grossed up. At this kind of level of investment in an employee, they get it grossed up and they get help filing taxes for the first tax year.
Old Oct 29th 2017, 5:37 pm
Forum Regular

Vicious B will become famous soon enough

I brought my electronics (all Samsung) with me and it all worked fine, so saved me a big outlay for something unnecessary!
You don't need to have traditional cable - with the Amazon fire stick (or Apple TV) and Prime you can get all the shows/ movies you could possibly need through the apps - i have netflix, hulu, prime, starz & hbo, there is not enough time in the week for anything more than this!

Bank - i use HSBC, not overly popular in the US but at least my credit history moved with me, so made it easier to get a proper credit card etc.
Cheques - yes, ridiculous you need them for renting a place, as they will want your deposit etc by cheque (check). Actually I lie, i think they want it to be by bankers check - but that might just have been my place...

Use Transferwise to send a large sum (up to $15k i think), they seem to have pretty good rates.
Old Oct 29th 2017, 8:05 pm
Just Joined

jackcharles is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rete
Check that out in MA. Your fellow co-workers should be able to steer you in the right direction.
Thanks. There's a few that have transferred to this office from other countries in similar circumstances so hopefully I can Airbnb / temporary accommodation first and then they'll be able to let me know.

Originally Posted by md95065
Just one reminder to the OP - I note that your company is paying shipping costs as part of your relocation package and will, quite possibly, also be either paying for, or reimbursing you for, other move related expenses.

You should be aware that things that the company pays for directly or reimburses you for will, generally, be regarded as taxable income. You should also be aware that, while the IRS does allow deductions for various relocation expenses, there are very specific rules about precisely what is and is not allowable as a deduction - consequently it is quite possible that not everything that the company pays for will be deductible.
Thanks. I'm not quite sure how it's going to work, thus far I have a relocation consultant talking to me and to my knowledge they are funded by my employer with a given budget. I also get 12 months of tax advice and as above, there are people who have been transferred in that I haven't met yet that have been through this exact process, with this same relocation agency and in this state with this employer so I'm hoping between these two things I'll be made aware of what I need to do but great to know what to ask about / expect, thanks.

Originally Posted by Vicious B
I brought my electronics (all Samsung) with me and it all worked fine, so saved me a big outlay for something unnecessary!
You don't need to have traditional cable - with the Amazon fire stick (or Apple TV) and Prime you can get all the shows/ movies you could possibly need through the apps - i have netflix, hulu, prime, starz & hbo, there is not enough time in the week for anything more than this!

Bank - i use HSBC, not overly popular in the US but at least my credit history moved with me, so made it easier to get a proper credit card etc.
Cheques - yes, ridiculous you need them for renting a place, as they will want your deposit etc by cheque (check). Actually I lie, i think they want it to be by bankers check - but that might just have been my place...

Use Transferwise to send a large sum (up to $15k i think), they seem to have pretty good rates.
Good to know. Yeah my TV will work as it's the right voltage and I have a fire stick and PS4 that definitely work with it and can stream Netflix / Prime which should cover the main stuff as you say!

My bank in Blighty is a sub brand of HSBC but unfortunately isn't strictly HSBC so that may well not work. By the sounds of it, I'll need checks (and therefore a US bank account) before I even get a long term place to rent? Are regular bank transfers or credit card payments not an option generally? I might be able to get someone else I trust to do the check (I have one good friend in Boston) if I transfer them the money first. Not sure, this sounds like it might be a challenge!
Old Oct 29th 2017, 8:16 pm
Concierge

I doubt that someone else could open a bank account under your name. You will need to sign paperwork and your signature is needed to verify that you are you. But don't worry about that at the present. Yes, you can make purchases via your credit card, even if it is a credit card from the UK. I can use my MasterCard and/or VISA in Europe, so same difference. There are always money orders that you can use and you can get them at the US Post Office and other places.

If you are using the firm's relocation company, please avail yourself of their experience. Hopefully, they will getting a list of AirB&B's for you and/or an extended stay hotel which I would like better as they come with kitchens (small but functional) so you can make brekkie or coffee or have a place to heat up take out (note the difference in language: Take away = UK; take out = US).

If possible, ask if you can have the names of others who have transferred and email them for suggestions and how-to's since they have been there and done that.

Just think you will be in time for your first US holiday - Thanksgiving. Now to wangle an invitation to someone's home for the fest.
Old Oct 29th 2017, 9:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ecto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond repute

We moved over in the summer and had originally planned to transfer some money into dollars however we used our U.K. Post Office credit card for 2 months instead and this provided us with all the cash flow we needed.
The card is excellent (although the customer service is hit and miss) as it has no charges and gives you the exact exchange rate and therefore cheaper then any other way of spending. There are some draw backs, you obviously have to pay it off in full each month and the exchange rate is constantly changing and therefore this can be a risk but the rate is relatively stable and it can vary both ways.
Thought l would mention it as it was really effective for us.
As for checks, l have to take a check into our landlords bank every month! It is like being in the 70s.
With regards to banks we are with Bank of America and so far things are fine and there are lots of branches which is important for getting cash out FOC. If you go for a regional bank you may have to pay for getting cash out on your travels.
Good luck with your move.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.