British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Got a letter from police.. says THIS IS NOT A CERTIFICATE OF GOOD CHARACTER (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/got-letter-police-says-not-certificate-good-character-75785/)

Wmickwin Apr 26th 2002 10:10 am

Got a letter from police.. says THIS IS NOT A CERTIFICATE OF GOOD CHARACTER

My question is will this be acceptable when i have to go to the london embassy for my
K1 Visa application? and.. if not do I need to tell the police that thats what I'm
looking for? oh thats 2 questions sorry :)... p.s. I'm from Northern Ireland, hope
this may shed some light on it..

thanks all, Mickey..

Ameriscot Apr 26th 2002 11:15 am

Re: Got a letter from police.. says THIS IS NOT A CERTIFICATE OF GOOD CHARACTER

You can't get a certificate of good character in the UK, so don't worry about this. What the embassy wants is a report of the information that is stored about you (hopefully it will be blank!) on the police national computer, and issued by the National Identification Service.

Rogerpenycate Apr 26th 2002 3:40 pm

[email protected] (WMickwin) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > My question is will this be acceptable when i have to go to the london embassy for
    > my K1 Visa application? and.. if not do I need to tell the police that thats what
    > I'm looking for? oh thats 2 questions sorry :)... p.s. I'm from Northern Ireland,
    > hope this may shed some light on it..
    >
    > thanks all, Mickey..

I'm going through the same process with London, and have had to send stuff to
Australia and Spain (I also worked in Iran in 1974 for 2 years but they recognize
it's impossible to get any records from there) My understanding is that the Police
records are to prove that you haven't any criminal convictions etc. I think the
"Good character" thing is irrelevant and what you have is OK. However I am not a
lawyer, it is only my understanding, I hope I'm right otherwise I may be in the sh*t
as well. Best advice is to phone the consuls helpline and ask them. Now that you
have alerted me to what you have recived I'll do the same. Good Luck with your
interview. Roger Penycate.
PS I'll be in Maryland (when we evetually get sorted out with the visa.

Rick Apr 26th 2002 5:10 pm

[email protected] (WMickwin) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > My question is will this be acceptable when i have to go to the london embassy for
    > my K1 Visa application? and.. if not do I need to tell the police that thats what
    > I'm looking for? oh thats 2 questions sorry :)... p.s. I'm from Northern Ireland,
    > hope this may shed some light on it..
    >
    > thanks all, Mickey..

The UK police don't issue a certificate, only the standard reply from the National
Identification Service which should have two blue bands across it. If you have that
document, you have the document you need.

Rick