British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Got a current esta but my uk passport expired? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/got-current-esta-but-my-uk-passport-expired-909032/)

uk_grenada Feb 10th 2018 4:47 am

Got a current esta but my uk passport expired?
 
I have a shiny new uk passport and my old cancelled passport. Do i need to apply for a replacement esta or are the 3 items together all i need?

Twinkle0927 Feb 10th 2018 7:24 am

Re: Got a current esta but my uk passport expired?
 
You will need to apply (and pay) again. It's linked to your passport number so when you get a new passport, you need a new approval.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1073/~/apply-or-change-information-in-the-electronic-system-for-travel-authorization

If you obtain a new passport or change your name, gender or country of citizenship, you will be required to apply for a new travel authorization. This is also required if one of your answers to any of the VWP eligibility questions changes. The associated fee of $14 will be charged for each new application.

uk_grenada Feb 10th 2018 10:59 am

Re: Got a current esta but my uk passport expired?
 
Ok, thanks for the info..l

plasticbag_uk Feb 11th 2018 3:17 pm

Re: Got a current esta but my uk passport expired?
 
Please forgive my ignorance but what is a 'esta' ?

Pulaski Feb 11th 2018 3:24 pm

Re: Got a current esta but my uk passport expired?
 

Originally Posted by plasticbag_uk (Post 12439577)
Please forgive my ignorance but what is a 'esta' ?

Let me Google that for you. :)

Rete Feb 11th 2018 7:00 pm

Re: Got a current esta but my uk passport expired?
 
For those travelers to the US, the traveler must first have an approved ESTA which is an Electronic System for Travel Authorization | U.S. Customs and Border. https://www.cbp.gov/travel/international-visitors/esta

For travelers to Canada, they require an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...m_campaign=eta

Former Lancastrian Feb 11th 2018 8:09 pm

Re: Got a current esta but my uk passport expired?
 
CAVEAT: does not apply to those entering the USA or Canada by land border though in these cases most people tend to fly to reach the USA and Canada.
Yes Im being pedantic :lol:

Rete Feb 11th 2018 9:01 pm

Re: Got a current esta but my uk passport expired?
 

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 12439724)
CAVEAT: does not apply to those entering the USA or Canada by land border though in these cases most people tend to fly to reach the USA and Canada.
Yes Im being pedantic :lol:

Hmmm I thought a tourist who was traveling in the US and decided to drive across the border to see the Canadian Falls needed an eta to do so. Just as someone who is not a resident or citizen of Canada would require an ESTA to drive across the border to the US.

PS I am aware that USC and LPR's do not require eTa's to drive into Canada.

Former Lancastrian Feb 11th 2018 10:11 pm

Re: Got a current esta but my uk passport expired?
 
An Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) is an entry requirement for visa-exempt foreign nationals travelling to Canada by air.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...eta-exemptions

Rete Feb 11th 2018 10:27 pm

Re: Got a current esta but my uk passport expired?
 

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 12439796)
An Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) is an entry requirement for visa-exempt foreign nationals travelling to Canada by air.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...eta-exemptions

I know that ... as indicated in my post above. I'm asking you about the drive thru border. How or what does someone require who is not a USC or Visa holder wanting to enter Canada by car.

I found nothing on that site about auto travel specific to foreign travelers to the US wanting to enter Canada. Perhaps Canada needs to add an amendment to their travel authorization law. Seems pointless to make those entering by air require an eTA when someone who does not qualify need only go to Detroit and drive across instead.

Former Lancastrian Feb 12th 2018 12:08 am

Re: Got a current esta but my uk passport expired?
 

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 12439813)
I know that ... as indicated in my post above. I'm asking you about the drive thru border. How or what does someone require who is not a USC or Visa holder wanting to enter Canada by car.

I found nothing on that site about auto travel specific to foreign travelers to the US wanting to enter Canada. Perhaps Canada needs to add an amendment to their travel authorization law. Seems pointless to make those entering by air require an eTA when someone who does not qualify need only go to Detroit and drive across instead.

Citizenship and passport is what determines entry into Canada normally but there are exceptions.
Those who require a visa from countries like Libya, Saudi Arabia, South Africa and a whole bunch of others and those who don't require visas like UK, France, Germany and others
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...574.1484090240

We get lots of people entering via land border who don't have eTA's as they might enter only for a few days and the USA was their intended destination for flying into and out of. If not from a visa requiring country then just their passport is sufficient.

Twinkle0927 Feb 12th 2018 3:03 am

Re: Got a current esta but my uk passport expired?
 

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 12439753)
Just as someone who is not a resident or citizen of Canada would require an ESTA to drive across the border to the US.

PS I am aware that USC and LPR's do not require eTa's to drive into Canada.

To cross by land (or by ferry from BC to WA) into the USA you do not need an ESTA if you are VWP-eligible.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...o-u.s.-by-land

You pay a $6 fee instead and complete an I-94W paper form. The I-94 can be completed and the fee can be paid online up to 7 days ahead of travel.


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:18 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.