British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Google Street view now in the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/google-street-view-now-uk-598602/)

penguinsix Mar 19th 2009 12:00 pm

Google Street view now in the UK

In case you are missing looking at your old street or house, you can now see the whole street via google maps

http://maps.google.com/

type in your address and drag the little 'yellow man' onto the map where you want to look. (The Yellow man is at the top of the Zoom Up/Down thing on the left hand side). Once you drop it where you want, use the arrows to walk up and down the street.

Just checked out my office and saw the deli across the street and had a bit of a flashback getting hungry for their lunch.

Juswus Mar 19th 2009 12:12 pm

Re: Google Street view now in the UK

wouldn't work for me.....but that could be this stoopid work computer blocking it :unsure:

clynnog Mar 19th 2009 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by penguinsix (Post 7397413)
In case you are missing looking at your old street or house, you can now see the whole street via google maps

type in your address and drag the little 'yellow man' onto the map where you want to look. (The Yellow man is at the top of the Zoom Up/Down thing on the left hand side). Once you drop it where you want, use the arrows to walk up and down the street.

Just checked out my office and saw the deli across the street and had a bit of a flashback getting hungry for their lunch.

I saw my cousins house in Penge, sarf London for sale and some rather dodgy looking neighbourhoods near Old Trafford.

penguinsix Mar 19th 2009 12:31 pm

I actually saw my old roommate in New York street view as he was walking down 43rd street when the google car passed. They didn't block out his face (but the UK one seems to have blurred out specific faces)

Englishtart Mar 19th 2009 1:11 pm

That is so cool! wow, that makes me homesick! :D

clynnog Mar 19th 2009 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by penguinsix (Post 7397524)
I actually saw my old roommate in New York street view as he was walking down 43rd street when the google car passed. They didn't block out his face (but the UK one seems to have blurred out specific faces)

Should you wish to see the Theatre of Dreams (aka Old Trafford) in Google Street View the imagery of some of the players on a poster on the north wall of the stadium are blurred out....?????:eek:

clynnog Mar 19th 2009 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by Englishtart (Post 7397689)
That is so cool! wow, that makes me homesick! :D

Homesick for Stockport or other places (don't worry I was born in Stockport)

Englishtart Mar 19th 2009 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by clynnog (Post 7397698)
Homesick for Stockport or other places (don't worry I was born in Stockport)

Stockport is my hometown, yes I am homesick for a visit, but I also lived in Oxfordshire,6 years, split between RAF Croughton and RAF Mildenhall, so it would be nice to visit that area too, haven't been home for over 4 years and I love my life here, but next year I am going to just pop over to refresh my memory:) Have you been 'home' lately?

clynnog Mar 19th 2009 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by Englishtart (Post 7397782)
Stockport is my hometown, yes I am homesick for a visit, but I also lived in Oxfordshire,6 years, split between RAF Croughton and RAF Mildenhall, so it would be nice to visit that area too, haven't been home for over 4 years and I love my life here, but next year I am going to just pop over to refresh my memory:) Have you been 'home' lately?

In 2006...I lived from 1964-1981 in Disley (born at Stepping Hill) which is between Stockport and Buxton. We moved to Toronto in 1981 and I've lived in Ottawa since 1994.

Family in the UK are located in such diverse places as the Peak District, Marple, Irlam (btwn M/CR and Warrington), Cambridge, Tetsworth (in Oxfordshire), London, Worthing, and Dublin. As I emigrated with my parents, these relatives are aunts/uncles/cousins/ etc, and realistically as time goes on the connections get looser. To be brutally honest the 'urban' parts of the Manchester conurbation leave me cold. My son who was 6 in 2006 loved Old Trafford but found much of the rest of M/CR to be grotty.

The Google Street view imagery doesn't go out as far as Stockport does it.

AmerLisa Mar 19th 2009 2:30 pm

My SIL just moved to New Zealand a month ago and we were able to see her whole street (and the front of her house) there.....we were disappointed when we couldn't look in the UK - hopefully it works now.....

Still can't get it to work.....I drag the yellow man but it won't show the street.....

sambapink Mar 19th 2009 2:43 pm

It doesn't work on my old Street in the UK.. or my house here either - no fun :(

Juswus Mar 19th 2009 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by sambapink (Post 7397986)
It doesn't work on my old Street in the UK.. or my house here either - no fun :(

I can't get it to work on anywhere that I've ever lived :huh:

clynnog Mar 19th 2009 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by Juswus (Post 7398003)
I can't get it to work on anywhere that I've ever lived :huh:

It seems to just cover major urban areas in the UK. Most areas in the 'shires' are not covered.

bevinva Mar 19th 2009 3:41 pm

It covered all the streets around my mum's old house but not hers. The streets covered seem to be highlighted in blue.

Juswus Mar 19th 2009 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by clynnog (Post 7398053)
It seems to just cover major urban areas in the UK. Most areas in the 'shires' are not covered.

Wimbledon?