Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Goods out of warranty period..

Wikiposts

Goods out of warranty period..

Old Oct 7th 2005, 9:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Goods out of warranty period..

Originally Posted by Eskimo
ever seen the return line in Costco :scared:

Its not the bulb thats faulty its the light unit .. basically the whole bloody insides of the damn thing - I WILL NOT BUY A US ELECTRICAL BRAND AGAIN !!!!!!!
ah well- US brand, you only have yourself to blame then
Old Oct 7th 2005, 9:35 am
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Big D
ah well- US brand, you only have yourself to blame then

I know I know ..hindsight is a wonderful thing
Old Oct 7th 2005, 11:11 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by syllk
No limitations at all (save for computers)...and I guess some people will and do take the piss. My friend was going on a trip around America, and so he bought a nice Canon Digital SLR camera from Costco to take with him. He took some impressive photos, downloaded everything to his computer, and then packed the camera up and returned it for a full refund.
That's the reasons Argos stopped it with cameras
Old Oct 7th 2005, 11:50 am
Forum Regular

rochdalediva is a name known to allrochdalediva is a name known to allrochdalediva is a name known to allrochdalediva is a name known to allrochdalediva is a name known to allrochdalediva is a name known to allrochdalediva is a name known to allrochdalediva is a name known to allrochdalediva is a name known to allrochdalediva is a name known to allrochdalediva is a name known to all

If the American EXpress extension doesn't work out, why not try phoning Best Buy & see if you can buy an extended warrenty (without telling them it's already busted) - they're usually keen to sell them. Wait a week or two and then try claiming under that.
Old Oct 7th 2005, 2:36 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rochdalediva
If the American EXpress extension doesn't work out, why not try phoning Best Buy & see if you can buy an extended warrenty (without telling them it's already busted) - they're usually keen to sell them. Wait a week or two and then try claiming under that.
We did that at Sears.......a lady called to ask us if we'd like the extended warrenty........hubby said yes.......and then ask if someone could come out to look at the bike because it was broke..............and they did...it cost us $150 to buy....and the Ins company $200 to repair in the end.......how they sell something that is cheaper to replace than get new parts for I'll never know...........
Old Oct 7th 2005, 4:46 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

So you buy all your electrical etc goods at Costco.

Use them for a year and then trade them in for new ones and probably get money back.

Interesting, do they do this on Cars?
Old Oct 7th 2005, 5:53 pm
Payed up premium member

evoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
So you buy all your electrical etc goods at Costco.

Use them for a year and then trade them in for new ones and probably get money back.

Interesting, do they do this on Cars?
I thought LCD was bullet proof glad I didn't listen and brought plasma. 1 up to the old fashioned posters.

Old Oct 8th 2005, 1:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
I would (or rather wouldnt) if I knew who Frys were.
I'm sure they'll branch out to Florida eventually. You really need to get out of there once in a while.
Old Oct 8th 2005, 1:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eskimo
I WILL NOT BUY A US ELECTRICAL BRAND AGAIN !!!!!!!
Do they make any electrical products in the US anymore? Or for that matter, anyplace but China?
Old Oct 8th 2005, 3:19 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
and they have a scheme which doubles up your warranty if you paid for your purchase with the card. For example if you bought something with a six month warranty, when that expires Amex will add another six months to it and likewise for one year warranties etc up to a maximum purchase price of $10,000.
I love Amex LOL!
Visa have just copied this feature with thier new top-of-the-line Signature card.

I hate Visa!
Old Oct 8th 2005, 7:01 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Do they make any electrical products in the US anymore? Or for that matter, anyplace but China?
Nokia still make things else where...plenty of highend electronics get made else where...can't think of any in the US though off the top of my head...and don't forget Taiwan and Korea
Old Oct 9th 2005, 2:28 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Bob
Nokia still make things else where...plenty of highend electronics get made else where...can't think of any in the US though off the top of my head...and don't forget Taiwan and Korea
Japan, Malaysia - must be quite a few others.
Old Oct 9th 2005, 8:25 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Boiler
Japan, Malaysia - must be quite a few others.
I've seen a few low end chips made in India and case parts produced in Vietnam...don't know where assembled, but the components are made all over...

speaking of things out of warranty, not quite the same, but to chuck out a puter costs $20 in maine for environmental fee, but to a charity it is $4...where I help out, they write out a reciept for the original value of the goods donated so that the company can claim the full value as a tax right off...so when the charitable place of mbna off loaded 400 of its old puters and we're talking mostly utter shite...they just closed a site down...instead of getting charged $20 a unit, they made $400 a unit...and claimed a wonderous heart in donating computers to charity...yeah we were able to use the hard drives and cases, even a quarter of the puters were P3's that were good...still a lot of junk...
Old Oct 9th 2005, 10:26 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Bob
I've seen a few low end chips made in India and case parts produced in Vietnam...don't know where assembled, but the components are made all over...

speaking of things out of warranty, not quite the same, but to chuck out a puter costs $20 in maine for environmental fee, but to a charity it is $4...where I help out, they write out a reciept for the original value of the goods donated so that the company can claim the full value as a tax right off...so when the charitable place of mbna off loaded 400 of its old puters and we're talking mostly utter shite...they just closed a site down...instead of getting charged $20 a unit, they made $400 a unit...and claimed a wonderous heart in donating computers to charity...yeah we were able to use the hard drives and cases, even a quarter of the puters were P3's that were good...still a lot of junk...
I thought they stopped that, or was it just for cars?
Old Oct 9th 2005, 10:28 am
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
I'm sure they'll branch out to Florida eventually. You really need to get out of there once in a while.

Why? Is there more of the USA than here and LA then? I thought it was all just swamps north of here right up till you get to the frozen wastelands bit.

Here you go...my best combination of geography and art:

Last edited by Angry White Pyjamas; Oct 9th 2005 at 10:53 am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.