Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Goods out of warranty period..

Wikiposts

Goods out of warranty period..

Old Oct 7th 2005, 1:42 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Goods out of warranty period..

Originally Posted by woodsey
Bought a TV when we arrived 15 months ago, 44 inch LCD, cost $2500, now has green, blue and yellow lines along the top and bottom.
Found a forum last night when trying to find out what the problem was and apparantly its a very common issue with this TV although the manufacturer is not admitting a problem...
The store where we bought it and most other electrical stores no longer sell it and the estimated cost of repair according to this forum is about $1700 providing you can find someone actually willing to try and repair it.
A couple of people on the forum said they would consider using the 'lemon law' what is this?
Do we have any hope of getting a repair/replacement/refund now its out of warranty? Back home this happened a couple of times and the stores were willing to take it back even though they were out of warranty (not TV's though)
Shall I smash it with a big hammer then set fire to it in the garden?
Any experiences to share?
I've just remembered something. Did you by any chance pay for the TV with an American Express card?

If you did.....you may be in luck. I've just been looking at all the 'benefits' you get with the card (husband has Platinum and I'm a secondary card holder with a Gold card) and they have a scheme which doubles up your warranty if you paid for your purchase with the card. For example if you bought something with a six month warranty, when that expires Amex will add another six months to it and likewise for one year warranties etc up to a maximum purchase price of $10,000.

https://www124.americanexpress.com/c...sassurance.jsp

I love Amex LOL!
Old Oct 7th 2005, 5:07 am
Country Member

Location: Moved from Georgetown to Round Rock, Texas. 15 miles closer to civilization.
g1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Goods out of warranty period..

Originally Posted by Elvira
I really miss Peter Jones. Sad, I know...
Don't Panic !!!

-
Old Oct 7th 2005, 5:43 am
BE Forum Addict

woodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
I've just remembered something. Did you by any chance pay for the TV with an American Express card?

If you did.....you may be in luck. I've just been looking at all the 'benefits' you get with the card (husband has Platinum and I'm a secondary card holder with a Gold card) and they have a scheme which doubles up your warranty if you paid for your purchase with the card. For example if you bought something with a six month warranty, when that expires Amex will add another six months to it and likewise for one year warranties etc up to a maximum purchase price of $10,000.

I love Amex LOL!
Cheers! We did use Amex, a corporate one though, hope it has the same benefits..
Old Oct 7th 2005, 5:58 am
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

I love Amex LOL!
I have the same on a new credit card we have...it doubles the warranty............
Old Oct 7th 2005, 5:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Philgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by g1ant
Don't Panic !!!

-
I think you're thinking of Lance Corporal Jack Jones They don't like it up 'em you know?
Old Oct 7th 2005, 6:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Philgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by woodsey
Cheers! We did use Amex, a corporate one though, hope it has the same benefits..
I hate to a pessimist but if your tv doesn't work due to the bulb blowing you may well be out of luck. Most warranties exclude bulbs. $1700 for a new one seems steep though - most DLP bulbs are about $300-$400 I thought.
Old Oct 7th 2005, 7:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Apparently if you buy anything from "Costco" (and presumably other similar 'clubs' such as 'Wally World' and 'Sams Club') they will take the item back even if it's a few years later and give a refund with no questions asked - (although it helps if you still have the receipt so you can prove you bought it there).

yeah they do this worldwide on ANY electrical product, i think for life - certainly a long time.
Old Oct 7th 2005, 7:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Philgr
I hate to a pessimist but if your tv doesn't work due to the bulb blowing you may well be out of luck. Most warranties exclude bulbs. $1700 for a new one seems steep though - most DLP bulbs are about $300-$400 I thought.

Yeah - bulb is wear and tear type thing - there is no way it should be that much though - and you should be able to get a cheaper brand. I assume its a rear projector, you may even be able to change it yourself. I know bulbs are expensive but not that much!! How often is it on - bulb should last a lot longer than 18 months? I would spend the 1700 on a nice LCD HD number instead!
Old Oct 7th 2005, 7:27 am
BE Forum Addict

woodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big D
Yeah - bulb is wear and tear type thing - there is no way it should be that much though - and you should be able to get a cheaper brand. I assume its a rear projector, you may even be able to change it yourself. I know bulbs are expensive but not that much!! How often is it on - bulb should last a lot longer than 18 months? I would spend the 1700 on a nice LCD HD number instead!
it already is a nice LCD HD or should I say was..
Old Oct 7th 2005, 7:30 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Big D
merchandise returns or exchanges

Costco.com Costco guarantees your satisfaction with the merchandise you purchase from us. Costco.com products may be returned to any of our hundreds of Costco warehouses worldwide. Or, if you wish to return or exchange merchandise directly to costco.com, contact us at customer service.

Effective November 4th, 2002, Costco Wholesale’s desktop and notebook computer return policy is six-months from the date of purchase. After six-months from the date of purchase, all service and technical support will be subject to the applicable remaining manufacturers' warranty.

Surely there must be some limitations to stop people taking the piss.

Generally US warranties etc are extremely basic compared to other countries, very little legislation. Lemom Laws vary by State.
Old Oct 7th 2005, 7:44 am

syllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
merchandise returns or exchanges

Costco.com Costco guarantees your satisfaction with the merchandise you purchase from us. Costco.com products may be returned to any of our hundreds of Costco warehouses worldwide. Or, if you wish to return or exchange merchandise directly to costco.com, contact us at customer service.

Effective November 4th, 2002, Costco Wholesale’s desktop and notebook computer return policy is six-months from the date of purchase. After six-months from the date of purchase, all service and technical support will be subject to the applicable remaining manufacturers' warranty.

Generally US warranties etc are extremely basic compared to other countries, very little legislation. Lemom Laws vary by State.
No limitations at all (save for computers)...and I guess some people will and do take the piss. My friend was going on a trip around America, and so he bought a nice Canon Digital SLR camera from Costco to take with him. He took some impressive photos, downloaded everything to his computer, and then packed the camera up and returned it for a full refund.
Old Oct 7th 2005, 7:57 am
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Boiler

ever seen the return line in Costco :scared:

Its not the bulb thats faulty its the light unit .. basically the whole bloody insides of the damn thing - I WILL NOT BUY A US ELECTRICAL BRAND AGAIN !!!!!!!
Old Oct 7th 2005, 8:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Eskimo

Its not the bulb thats faulty its the light unit .. basically the whole bloody insides of the damn thing - I WILL NOT BUY A US ELECTRICAL BRAND AGAIN !!!!!!!
Look on the bright side - the Amex warranty extension should cover that :-)
Old Oct 7th 2005, 8:56 am

syllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eskimo

Get a Philips. From Costco. With your Amex card.
Old Oct 7th 2005, 9:08 am
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Philgr
Look on the bright side - the Amex warranty extension should cover that :-)
maybe .. card was/is UK corporate card in sterling (with US billing address) - have to wait until Monday to talk to them..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.