Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Goods out of warranty period..

Wikiposts

Goods out of warranty period..

Old Oct 6th 2005, 11:12 am
BE Forum Addict

woodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Goods out of warranty period..

Bought a TV when we arrived 15 months ago, 44 inch LCD, cost $2500, now has green, blue and yellow lines along the top and bottom.
Found a forum last night when trying to find out what the problem was and apparantly its a very common issue with this TV although the manufacturer is not admitting a problem...
The store where we bought it and most other electrical stores no longer sell it and the estimated cost of repair according to this forum is about $1700 providing you can find someone actually willing to try and repair it.
A couple of people on the forum said they would consider using the 'lemon law' what is this?
Do we have any hope of getting a repair/replacement/refund now its out of warranty? Back home this happened a couple of times and the stores were willing to take it back even though they were out of warranty (not TV's though)
Shall I smash it with a big hammer then set fire to it in the garden?
Any experiences to share?
Old Oct 6th 2005, 11:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Philgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Goods out of warranty period..

Originally Posted by woodsey
Probably not the subtlest way to set up an accidental damage claim on your insurance

Have you tried just calling the shop and seeing what they will do to help? Lemon laws are consumer protection laws covering goods unfit for purpose but there are lots of terms/conditions involved I think so I won't reveal the full extent of my ignorance by guessing how they can help you here. Hopefully someone else knows.
Old Oct 6th 2005, 11:20 am
BE Enthusiast

psb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by woodsey
Any experiences to share?

no no no ......don't do that in the garden do it outside the store that sold it to you if they are unwilling to give you any help
Old Oct 6th 2005, 1:41 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Goods out of warranty period..

Apparently if you buy anything from "Costco" (and presumably other similar 'clubs' such as 'Wally World' and 'Sams Club') they will take the item back even if it's a few years later and give a refund with no questions asked - (although it helps if you still have the receipt so you can prove you bought it there).
Old Oct 6th 2005, 1:44 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Apparently if you buy anything from "Costco" (and presumably other similar 'clubs' such as 'Wally World' and 'Sams Club') they will take the item back even if it's a few years later and give a refund with no questions asked - (although it helps if you still have the receipt so you can prove you bought it there).

Oh, that's good to know!

Back in the UK I would always by stuff from John Lewis/Peter Jones for that very reason.

I really miss Peter Jones. Sad, I know...
Old Oct 6th 2005, 1:58 pm

syllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
I was just about to offer the same advice. There are some exceptions, like computers, which have a 6-month return policy on them, but overall they'll take anything back. I may return my TV in a few years for a full refund, and then use the money to buy an even bigger one.
Old Oct 6th 2005, 2:02 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

CompUSA's policy is 23(or there abouts) days and then you are on your own. Apart from mother boards and Processors in which case you are on your own the minute you pay for them. I kid you not, which is why those Nazis of the retail world will never get a penny out of me.
Old Oct 6th 2005, 2:08 pm

syllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
CompUSA's policy is 23(or there abouts) days and then you are on your own. Apart from mother boards and Processors in which case you are on your own the minute you pay for them. I kid you not, which is why those Nazis of the retail world will never get a penny out of me.
Try Fry's return policy...there really isn't one. You have to fight tooth and nail to get anything back or exchanged, or so it seems.
Old Oct 6th 2005, 2:13 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by syllk
Try Fry's return policy...there really isn't one. You have to fight tooth and nail to get anything back or exchanged, or so it seems.
I would (or rather wouldnt) if I knew who Frys were.
Old Oct 6th 2005, 5:19 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

TigerDirect, though they have really good cheap prices and quality gear, you can't return something unless it's delievered damaged...
Old Oct 6th 2005, 5:25 pm
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point

TV was from Best Buy and I think we are ****ed as its 16 months old looks like the bulb has gone and judging by the TV forums (yes I know TV forums ... I was shocked as well) we are not the only ones
Old Oct 6th 2005, 11:33 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Eskimo
TV was from Best Buy and I think we are ****ed as its 16 months old looks like the bulb has gone and judging by the TV forums (yes I know TV forums ... I was shocked as well) we are not the only ones
What brand/model is it?
Old Oct 7th 2005, 12:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

The lemon law varies from state to state but it is kind of a lemon itself. Most states something major has to go wrong and be repaired multiple times before it kicks in.
I would fisrts start with the store and see how far up the chain you get, then start on the manufacturer. Also, look closely at the warranty to see if there is anything that relates to your situation.
Old Oct 7th 2005, 12:52 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Goods out of warranty period..

You could also try typing in the brand of your TV into a search engine and see if there is a class-action lawsuit pending:

eg. Sanyo + class action lawsuit

Panasonic + class action lawsuit

Attorneys are often more than willing to take on a case if they think they'll get something out of it.

Come to think of it, we had a letter a few months ago from Apple (because there is a class action lawsuit pending from unhappy customers who found that their batteries would die very quickly on their iPods). I think they were offering some sort of cash settlement or exchange....must remember to ask my husband what he did about it. Did any other iPod owner get a similar letter from Apple?
Old Oct 7th 2005, 1:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eskimo
A case of caveat emptor?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.