Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Goodbye USA!

Goodbye USA!

Old Jun 25th 2007, 8:37 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Goodbye USA!

Originally Posted by Partystar
Yeah, I always told him that if he had no intention of moving back to England with us, then to say, because we'd go without him. (I think I may have posted about that before) He's the only reason we moved here in the first place, so it makes sense.
Liz, Sweetheart - I know you just want to be gone and go back to the UK......... but think for a minute...

Am I right in thinking that you are not yet a citizen?

Please do not leave without becoming a USC first!!
Old Jun 25th 2007, 8:40 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Liz, Sweetheart - I know you just want to be gone and go back to the UK......... but think for a minute...

She won't make it. The fact she's divorced will push it to 5 years -- a long while away. It'll certainly be difficult having a dual citizen kid without the right to even visit the US. But I doubt there's much she can do about it.
Old Jun 25th 2007, 8:40 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Ouch....sorry to hear the news, does suck, but wish you well in the new chapter chuck....but what about citizenship for future?
Cheers mate, but no thanx, no citizenship for me!
Old Jun 25th 2007, 8:41 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
She won't make it. The fact she's divorced will push it to 5 years -- a long while away. It'll certainly be difficult having a dual citizen kid without the right to even visit the US. But I doubt there's much she can do about it.
I think it might be worth delaying the divorce until she becomes a citizen. I can see so much potential trouble ahead...

PS: Why would she not be able to visit the US?
Old Jun 25th 2007, 8:43 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

PS: Why would she not be able to visit the US?
No one has the guaranteed right to enter the US except citizens; everyone else can be refused entry. At best it's the VWP for non-citizens.
Old Jun 25th 2007, 8:45 pm
Homebody

Originally Posted by snowbunny
No one has the guaranteed right to enter the US except citizens; everyone else can be refused entry. At best it's the VWP for non-citizens.
I realise that - but David's post made it sound as if she would not be able to visit, full-stop.
Old Jun 25th 2007, 8:47 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Good luck! Not a surprise for me, I'm afraid. It's been on the cards a good while. Think your couple of weeks timetable should probably be a couple of months or so, though. In AZ, you have mandatory counseling to go through because of the sprog -- and you need to sort out the family court fully before you leave! This is assuming no side gets cold feet and delays -- then the time will increase considerably. Anyway, chin up! You're strong and will prevail.

D.
Hello, long time, no speak/see! Haven't heard anything about the counseling thing, do you have a link for that? (sorry I'm being lazy today) We don't need to go to family court because custody has been decided between the 2 of us, so no need for a court order.

Cheers David, can always count on you for info!
Old Jun 25th 2007, 8:57 pm
Back where I belong!

Nope, not a citizen. Don't want to be one, never have.
Old Jun 25th 2007, 8:58 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Hello, long time, no speak/see! Haven't heard anything about the counseling thing, do you have a link for that? (sorry I'm being lazy today) We don't need to go to family court because custody has been decided between the 2 of us, so no need for a court order.

Cheers David, can always count on you for info!
Follow it through from this starting page.

You may not need to actually step foot in a court, but I think you'll find you need to do the counseling.

P.S. Time you arranged a meet-up for our little group!
Old Jun 25th 2007, 9:00 pm
Septicity

I realise that - but David's post made it sound as if she would not be able to visit, full-stop.
No, not visit ever! But she's definitely going to get extra scrutiny because of her circumstances. It's not like she's a divorced Brit taking her kid to Disney for the first time, is it?
Old Jun 25th 2007, 9:07 pm
Septicity

The point is moot at this stage anyway save a reconciliation.
Old Jun 25th 2007, 9:08 pm
Homebody

I realise you don't want to be one - but are you sure it would be wise to leave without citizenship? What if your husband were to gain custody of your son? Or if your son one day decided he wanted to live with his dad?

I know these are unpleasant scenarios, but you really need to think this through... At least talk to a divorce attorney before you sign anything!
Old Jun 25th 2007, 9:13 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

I'm with Elvira on this one.

No matter how you feel today, you have to look 10 years into the future. Tough, but might be worth it, considering you do have a USC son.
Old Jun 25th 2007, 9:16 pm
Septicity

I realise you don't want to be one - but are you sure it would be wise to leave without citizenship? What if your husband were to gain custody of your son? Or if your son one day decided he wanted to live with his dad?

I know these are unpleasant scenarios, but you really need to think this through... At least talk to a divorce attorney before you sign anything!
But she'd have to remain in the US for another 3 or so years on my quick and approximate reckoning because once divorced she'd need 5 years as a PR before naturalizing. But she wants to leave now! So , as I said, the point's moot.
Old Jun 25th 2007, 10:47 pm
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

I am sorry you are going through this. In a foreign land etc away from family etc Any chance your Mum or someone come and be with you till you get ck?
Wasn't a total surprise as your posts before you went on holiday seemed to hint/point to problems.

I am glad you are working amicably together for the sake of your son, hope it continues for all your sakes. Thinking of you and wish you all the best. And hopefully you will be home soon with your support network to help you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.