Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

A good way to get rid of tele-marketers

A good way to get rid of tele-marketers

Old Dec 3rd 2004, 6:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

rogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud of
Default A good way to get rid of tele-marketers

As usual I had 3/4 phone calls one night, a couple of weeks ago, from companies trying to sell me something. Isn't it amazing how they phone up a complete stranger and say "Hello is that Roger, Ann here" Blah..blah.
Anyway I was so fed up that when the phone rang again, I let this girl ramble on for about a minute and when she stopped I said.... "What are you wearing"
She slammed the phone down and I never heard from that company again.
Old Dec 3rd 2004, 6:17 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A good way to get rid of tele-marketers

Could sign up on the Do Not Call List:

https://www.donotcall.gov/default.aspx

Old Dec 3rd 2004, 6:21 pm
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold

Terminal illness is also a pretty effective conversation stopper
Old Dec 3rd 2004, 6:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

rogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bob
Could sign up on the Do Not Call List:

https://www.donotcall.gov/default.aspx

Thanks Bob, I did that a few weeks ago so hopefully it'll take effect soon,
Old Dec 3rd 2004, 6:29 pm
Get em out by Friday

tony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rogerpenycate
I wouldnt hold your breath. It took a year to take effect with us. Great when it does though. Although charity callers are exempt it seems.
Old Dec 3rd 2004, 6:51 pm
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UKintheUSA
I like the "what are you wearing" line too! I'll have to tell my husband to try that one next!
You could us that line too Don't have to save it for your husband
Old Dec 3rd 2004, 6:55 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

As usual I had 3/4 phone calls one night, a couple of weeks ago, from companies trying to sell me something. Isn't it amazing how they phone up a complete stranger and say "Hello is that Roger, Ann here" Blah..blah.
Anyway I was so fed up that when the phone rang again, I let this girl ramble on for about a minute and when she stopped I said.... "What are you wearing"
My ex used to do the telemarketing thing- and always said that the surest way to get taken off the list was to be vulgar with them. Every one that calls our house gets a loud "Don't ever f**king call me a F**KINGGAIN GD you!!.
Only get about 1-2 per week now....
Old Dec 3rd 2004, 6:56 pm
Forum Regular

TexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond repute

When my daughter was very young (18 months) she used to LOVE having people talk to her on the phone - I used to just hand the telemarketter to her and see how long she was smiling for! My 14 year old son uses the line "I'm sorry, Dad's not here at the moment but if you let me have your home phone number I'll get him to call you back"!
Old Dec 3rd 2004, 6:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by tony_2003
I wouldnt hold your breath. It took a year to take effect with us. Great when it does though. Although charity callers are exempt it seems.
The ones that really piss me off are the Marketing companies that phone up and say "Good evening Roger, my name is...........I'm phoning on behalf of the Maryland Police Chiefs or Fire Chiefs.
Now you would think that any donation would go to the police.
Wrong, most of it is spent on paying the expenses for a few senior Police/Fire offices to go on a beano to some convention or another.
Old Dec 3rd 2004, 7:04 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe I should try that line with female telemarketers?
Better still try that with male telemarketers. On second thoughts, that's probably not a good idea...

NC Penguin
Old Dec 3rd 2004, 7:15 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Takes 3 months to take affect...working well so far though...still getting calls for the arsehole that use to have this number we were given, plenty of debt collectors after him...very annoying that we can't get rid of 'em
Old Dec 3rd 2004, 7:17 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

I just leave the phone and let them at it, wastes there money....
but the automated ones that piss me off the most...especially when they say press a number to speak to a sales person...
Old Dec 3rd 2004, 8:40 pm
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
I just leave the phone and let them at it, wastes there money....
but the automated ones that piss me off the most...especially when they say press a number to speak to a sales person...
Lately we have been getting a lot of automated calls telling us that it is "really important that we call 1800 xxxx"

If the call if so important use a real person to speak to me now
Old Dec 3rd 2004, 9:50 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

The ones that really piss me off are the Marketing companies that phone up and say "Good evening Roger, my name is...........I'm phoning on behalf of the Maryland Police Chiefs or Fire Chiefs.
Now you would think that any donation would go to the police.
Wrong, most of it is spent on paying the expenses for a few senior Police/Fire offices to go on a beano to some convention or another.
Do you know any Web sites for checking this info?

I've always donated to the NC Fraternal Order of Police, but just recently noticed some small print: "the NC FOP is not endorsed by any police organiztion" (or something similar).

So, next time someone called I asked them about it. He BS'ed some answer, so I read that part of their site and asked him "What is the definition of "endorsed"? Of course he had no clue. I had a nice 20-minute discussion of the meaning of endorsed and eventually wore him out.

I remember watching on TV one time about an organization that looks into how much money from each charity goes to actual charitable causes (as opposed to paying staff and "administrative costs") - I'd love to get my hands on that kind of information.

Any clues anyone?
Old Dec 3rd 2004, 10:39 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ScousePete
Lately we have been getting a lot of automated calls telling us that it is "really important that we call 1800 xxxx"

If the call if so important use a real person to speak to me now
This sounds like a collection agency to me. You should double check by running a reverse search of the number through www.whitepages.com and finding the company, then a web search to find out what they do. It's often the first sign of identity theft...ignore at your peril!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.