Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Good moral character....

Good moral character....

Old Oct 3rd 2003, 1:36 pm

BrigieDarling will become famous soon enough
Talking Good moral character....

Generally, an applicant must show that he or she has been a person of good moral character for the statutory period (typically five years or three years if married to a U.S. citizen or one year for Armed Forces expedite) prior to filing for naturalization. The Service is not limited to the statutory period in determining whether an applicant has established good moral character. An applicant is permanently barred from naturalization if he or she has ever been convicted of murder. An applicant is also permanently barred from naturalization if he or she has been convicted of an aggravated felony as defined in section 101(a)(43) of the Act on or after November 29, 1990. A person also cannot be found to be a person of good moral character if during the last five years he or she:

*has committed and been convicted of one or more crimes *involving moral turpitude
*has committed and been convicted of 2 or more offenses for which the total sentence imposed was 5 years or more
*has committed and been convicted of any controlled substance *law, except for a single offense of simple possession of 30 grams or less of marijuana
*has been confined to a penal institution during the statutory period, as a result of a conviction, for an aggregate period of 180 days or more
*has committed and been convicted of two or more gambling offenses
*is or has earned his or her principal income from illegal gambling
*is or has been involved in prostitution or commercialized vice
*is or has been involved in smuggling illegal aliens into the United States
*****is or has been a habitual drunkard
*is practicing or has practiced polygamy
*has willfully failed or refused to support dependents
*has given false testimony, under oath, in order to receive a benefit under the Immigration and Nationality Act.

No drunk polygamists please!
Old Oct 3rd 2003, 1:58 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Good moral character....

Originally posted by BrigieDarling
Generally, an applicant must show that he or she has been a person of good moral character for the statutory period (typically five years or three years if married to a U.S. citizen or one year for Armed Forces expedite) prior to filing for naturalization. The Service is not limited to the statutory period in determining whether an applicant has established good moral character. An applicant is permanently barred from naturalization if he or she has ever been convicted of murder. An applicant is also permanently barred from naturalization if he or she has been convicted of an aggravated felony as defined in section 101(a)(43) of the Act on or after November 29, 1990. A person also cannot be found to be a person of good moral character if during the last five years he or she:

*has committed and been convicted of one or more crimes *involving moral turpitude
*has committed and been convicted of 2 or more offenses for which the total sentence imposed was 5 years or more
*has committed and been convicted of any controlled substance *law, except for a single offense of simple possession of 30 grams or less of marijuana
*has been confined to a penal institution during the statutory period, as a result of a conviction, for an aggregate period of 180 days or more
*has committed and been convicted of two or more gambling offenses
*is or has earned his or her principal income from illegal gambling
*is or has been involved in prostitution or commercialized vice
*is or has been involved in smuggling illegal aliens into the United States
*****is or has been a habitual drunkard
*is practicing or has practiced polygamy
*has willfully failed or refused to support dependents
*has given false testimony, under oath, in order to receive a benefit under the Immigration and Nationality Act.

No drunk polygamists please!
I filled in this form. I resisted, just, the tempation to say that I was not a habitual drunkard, just from time to time. As for moral turpitude - well, who's to say.
Old Oct 3rd 2003, 2:00 pm

Don't laugh.... but, I had to look it up! (Just in case)

Word of the Day for Wednesday June 19, 2002
turpitude \TUR-puh-tood; -tyood\, noun:
1. Inherent baseness or vileness of principle, words, or actions; depravity.
2. A base act.

In the eyes of the far left, it [the 60s] is the era when revolution was at hand, only to be betrayed by the feebleness of the faithful and the trickery of the enemy; to the radical right, an era of subversion and moral turpitude.
--Arthur Marwick, The Sixties: Cultural Revolution in Britain, France, Italy, and the United States, c.1958-c.1974

They based their action on a clause in the uniform player contract which says players must "conform to standards of good citizenship and good moral character" and disallows "engaging in acts of moral turpitude."
--Ira Berkow, "Go Ahead, Choke the Boss -- Only in the N.B.A.," New York Times, March 5, 1998

They were not his misdeeds, his turpitudes; she accused him of nothing--that is, of but one thing, which was not a crime.
--Henry James, The Portrait of a Lady
Old Oct 3rd 2003, 2:07 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Don't laugh.... but, I had to look it up! (Just in case)
Well, that clears that up. I think, without heading for the dictionary, that "vile" comes from "villeins", those poor medieval serfs who lived in "vills" (villages). Well, that let's me out, I'm safe - grew up in the Big Smoke.

As for depraved, well when I was a teenager, being depraved was rather a badge of honour.
Old Oct 3rd 2003, 2:10 pm

What do you think you went without?

I never had an outside loo... but I can tell you this. I would have never used it if I'd seen even one spider in it!
Old Oct 3rd 2003, 2:15 pm

What do you think you went without?

I never had an outside loo... but I can tell you this. I would have never used it if I'd seen even one spider in it!

Not sure how we got onto this topic, but since you ask I've used plenty of outside loos, but not in England. Most were in Mexico, just straight drops into a pit with a neat little mud hut built over the top. No spiders, but you do have to watch out for scorpions.:scared: