Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Good experiences of cheap removal companies?

Good experiences of cheap removal companies?

Old Jan 4th 2005, 2:26 pm
Forum Regular

Minty will become famous soon enoughMinty will become famous soon enough
Default Good experiences of cheap removal companies?

Hi

I have just got my K1 visa (Dec 12th 2004) and plan to move sometime in May 2005. I don't have a lot of stuff to move, mainly just books and other bits and pieces. I do have some items of bedroom funiture which I am not precious about taking but would if cheap enough.

I have considerred travelling using Air New Zealand who give an amazing 64kg (max 32kg per piece) which should be enough for clothes etc.

I have searched the forum and cannot find any experiences of moving stuff from the UK to the USA. I would be pleased to hear of any experiences, good or bad, and the sort of cost you can expect (of course depending on how much). I guess the point of delivery in the US will be LA.

Minty
Old Jan 4th 2005, 2:38 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Good experiences of cheap removal companies?

Minty

I've copying this to the USA forum. You will get many responses there and also if you search that forum you might come up with some surprising answers to your questions.

Rete

Originally Posted by Minty
Hi

I have just got my K1 visa (Dec 12th 2004) and plan to move sometime in May 2005. I don't have a lot of stuff to move, mainly just books and other bits and pieces. I do have some items of bedroom funiture which I am not precious about taking but would if cheap enough.

I have considerred travelling using Air New Zealand who give an amazing 64kg (max 32kg per piece) which should be enough for clothes etc.

I have searched the forum and cannot find any experiences of moving stuff from the UK to the USA. I would be pleased to hear of any experiences, good or bad, and the sort of cost you can expect (of course depending on how much). I guess the point of delivery in the US will be LA.

Minty
Old Jan 4th 2005, 2:45 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Minty
I used Brittania and wasn't impressed with any aspect of the experience.

The estimator gave an outrageously expensive quote. When I questioned it (I'd moved the same stuff from US to UK 12 months earlier for a quarter of the price), the estimate magically went down by about 60%.

The packers took forever, even though there were three of them.

The delivery took forever and email communication was poor.

Some of the boxes were crushed when they arrived.

Needless to say I don't recommend Britannia!
Old Jan 4th 2005, 6:11 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Minty
I haven't yet made my move but have booked with Eagle Freight - try their website http://www.eaglegroup-online.com/home.htm

The reasons I booked with them were that their quote was competitive (in fact, slightly lower than others at £1500 for 300 cubic feet) and they were the only company who were interested enough to ring me and ask to come out to my house. The guy who came was friendly and helpful and drew up a comprehensive quote based on exactly what I told him I was taking rather than on an online form based on my guesswork.

If you want to wait until after Jan 21st I can tell you what they were like when picking up my stuff as well
Old Jan 4th 2005, 6:15 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

I just looked on Expedia for a few rates from LHR to LAX

American was £400 give or take
Air New Zealand was £2155

surely you can buy clothes when you get here?
Old Jan 5th 2005, 2:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

we used a company called crown relocations and would highly recommend them - not cheap but we had a sole use container - service we couldn't fault and colleagues have used and been pleased too.