Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Good deal on car insurance

Good deal on car insurance

Old Jan 23rd 2004, 6:57 am
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Good deal on car insurance

I finally found a company willing to insure me for under a million squid a month! You may remember my first quote being over $4000 for sixth months, and the next for being $2000 for 6 months. I got insured with American Family Insurance here in Arizona for $1100 for 6 months, and I have quite a lot of coverage, including liability, comprehensive, full glass coverage and even a gap insurance to cover the financing should the car get stolen. I took a $1000 deductible but I feel this is affordable and worth it for the lower premiums. Initially he said I had to take out a policy for a year, but was good enough to lower it to 6 months, so after that I can get an even better deal once I have a driving history. Just thought it was useful to share this info with other new expats coming to the States and being frightened half to death by the quotes they're getting! My advice is to get loads and loads of comapnies to give you a quote and don't give up till you find one you like.

This is nearly identical to my little beauty that I picked up this afternoon. It's rather special and I'm a happy little bunny today! It's rather plush inside and the AC is so effective I had icicles hanging off the end of my nose! This is the first brand new car I have ever had, and it was a rush driving it off the lot knowing it was mine. It's a Ford Focus ZX3 with tilt, cruise, AC and CD/MP3 player.

Last edited by Rockgurl; Jan 23rd 2004 at 9:29 pm.
Old Jan 23rd 2004, 12:53 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

good job kiddo
Old Jan 23rd 2004, 1:02 pm
Just Joined

SunnyDave is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Good deal on car insurance

Nice car & congrats.

I was also horrified at the insurance quotes for my new car and some of the big companies wouldn't even cover me until I did have a US driving history (Geiko & All State). I eventually went with Progressive who quoted $826 for 6m with a $500 deductable which I was quite happy about (still a rip off though).

What I found strange though was that the insurance is cheaper if I also put my wife down to drive the car. I've been driving for 15 years and she has just got a driving permit having never driven before but they see that as less of a risk than just one experienced drive....weird !!

Anyway, it will certainly pay to shop around after the 6m is up.

David
Old Jan 23rd 2004, 2:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

Nice car My daughter uses American Family and gets a pretty good deal with them. We recently got quoted under $100 dollars a month to insure my wife and I on an Xterra with them. We are thinking of moving our health insurance over to them also, to lower the car rate some more.
Old Jan 24th 2004, 9:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Jabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond repute

This is just like my new puppy, complete with leather interior and sun roof.

Last edited by Jabba1; Jan 24th 2004 at 9:50 am.
Old Jan 24th 2004, 10:17 am
Forum Regular

WolfTracker is an unknown quantity at this point

such a nice feeling owning your own new vehicle that is for sure.
nice vehicle there..it be nice when you get your stickers and not use the temp plate.seems that you are a target with everything when you have a temp plate on.
lol
Old Jan 26th 2004, 1:29 am
Wabbit Lord

waxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant future

How do u rate the xterra pimpbot?
Old Jan 26th 2004, 4:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by waxwabbit
How do u rate the xterra pimpbot?
We personally thought it was a very good rugged SUV with stylish looks inside and out. I've read a few online motoring websites that say the ride is sluggish on the roads and better suited to off roading. But the time we looked at it, was enough to narrow down our search to this one SUV for sure. Funny really, as I always thoughts Nissan's were some of the ugliest cars on the roads. Then I went back to the Nissan.co.uk website and realised that it was just the ugly ass British versions that stink. Nissan make some top cars here, like the 350z and the new Armada. I also got a close up look at the new Nissan Titan while at the supercross two weeks back(they sponsor the series) and I thought that was pretty nice also. A friend of mine who lives up in Minnesota has a 2001 Xterra and has been more than happy with it.