British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   good cheese from the USA!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/good-cheese-usa-406631/)

bugman Nov 7th 2006 3:30 pm

good cheese from the USA!!

i was in my local Meijer yesterday. I actually bought some branston (i try to get US food while im here) but i couldnt resist, i was then going to grab some imported orange coloured cheshire cheese then i noticed an interesting looking US cheese. 'Willaims old fashioned sharp pinconning' in the same type of hazy wrapper that you see in the UK for better cheeses in supermarkets. Anyway its $7.00 lb so pricey but very tasty and with texture, its a type of colby, from MI.

As you know the standard colby/jack/cheddar here are downright awful, tasteless plastic! THose loking for decent plain yoghurt try meijers own 'all natural' under $2 for 32 oz very good price, pretty much just milk, culture (live) and pectin, i can live with the pectin in this case, a very tangy non gluey yoghurt, god i HATE those gloopy gluey over sweet yoghurts they sell here.

Ive found that good food is to be found, its just that you have to search for it. IM still trying to find cottage cheese that is, well, anygood atall. I really miss longley farm (yorkshire) cottage cheese and yoghurts, i reckon thats some of the best in the UK. i dont know why but so many products here are just destroyed by the addition of som much extra rubbish.

BritGuyTN Nov 7th 2006 3:35 pm

Re: good cheese from the USA!!

Originally Posted by bugman
i was in my local Meijer yesterday. I actually bought some branston (i try to get US food while im here) but i couldnt resist, i was then going to grab some imported orange coloured cheshire cheese then i noticed an interesting looking US cheese. 'Willaims old fashioned sharp pinconning' in the same type of hazy wrapper that you see in the UK for better cheeses in supermarkets. Anyway its $7.00 lb so pricey but very tasty and with texture, its a type of colby, from MI.

As you know the standard colby/jack/cheddar here are downright awful, tasteless plastic! THose loking for decent plain yoghurt try meijers own 'all natural' under $2 for 32 oz very good price, pretty much just milk, culture (live) and pectin, i can live with the pectin in this case, a very tangy non gluey yoghurt, god i HATE those gloopy gluey over sweet yoghurts they sell here.

Ive found that good food is to be found, its just that you have to search for it. IM still trying to find cottage cheese that is, well, anygood atall. I really miss longley farm (yorkshire) cottage cheese and yoghurts, i reckon thats some of the best in the UK. i dont know why but so many products here are just destroyed by the addition of som much extra rubbish.

I've found that pretty much any dairy product with a wisconsin lable on it is shit and that vermont seems to be the best place for good quality dairy stuff

my locaql walmart of all places sells cabot butter from vermont, it is nice and salty like uk butter and unlike the sweet shite like land of lakes etc

also, I've found that most stuff labelled as vermont shrp cheddar is pretty good, even if its an own lable like kroger or wal mart etc

Russ&Jayne Nov 7th 2006 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
I've found that pretty much any dairy product with a wisconsin lable on it is shit and that vermont seems to be the best place for good quality dairy stuff

my locaql walmart of all places sells cabot butter from vermont, it is nice and salty like uk butter and unlike the sweet shite like land of lakes etc

also, I've found that most stuff labelled as vermont shrp cheddar is pretty good, even if its an own lable like kroger or wal mart etc

I agree the WI stuff is shite. Some of the VT cheese has a good clean taste unlike the others, but they've got to come a long way to get it up to strength. I've spoken to local cheesemakers and asked why they don't make it strong. They said they just don't have a market for it.

USBound Nov 7th 2006 3:44 pm

from what I've found so far... the only cheese I can eat without getting ill here is FROM Wi.

Hiro11 Nov 7th 2006 3:50 pm

Maybe an obvious tip: Whole Foods has a pretty good imported and domestic cheese selection. I'm a bit of a cheese fanatic and the domestic stuff can be very good. I'm a particular fan of "Humboldt Fog" a blue goat cheese from California. It's not that exensive either.

The one issue is that raw-milk cheese is banned in some parts the US and can be somewhat hard to find. Having said that, this ban is rarely entirely enforced.

One note: good cheese is never cheap.

BritGuyTN Nov 7th 2006 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by Russ&Jayne
I agree the WI stuff is shite. Some of the VT cheese has a good clean taste unlike the others, but they've got to come a long way to get it up to strength. I've spoken to local cheesemakers and asked why they don't make it strong. They said they just don't have a market for it.

i don't even like very strong cheese (by english standards) so the vermont cheddar which is similar to sainsburys medium is right up my street...

sambuc Nov 7th 2006 6:48 pm

I get some cheese from Costco, it comes in a dark purple waxy wrapper, usually located in with the rest of the blocks of cheeses. Think its called vintage cheddar or something.

Love it, it competes with any cheddar I got in UK. Similar to Cathedral City.

Their brie is good too, and very reasonably priced.

YUM

jen_andreson Nov 7th 2006 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by bugman

Do check the deli section at Meijer, if you didn't do so. They have a lot of 'better' cheeses in that area, as opposed to in the cheese section with all the orangey cheeses.

Also try Trader Joe's, if you have one in your area.

paddingtongreen Nov 7th 2006 8:10 pm

I like strong cheeses so I buy an imported, aged, farmhouse chedder to eat with pickled onions and good bread etc. but there are some good ones from Vermont and New york. Look for Cabots, they have authentic tasting cheese, in the usual strengths plus "seriously sharp". Also look for Tillamook, from Oregon, another with an authentic taste.

Cabot also makes a very good chedder they call "Private Stock". It comes in 1lb wax covered blocks, for about $9. This one crumbles like the genuine item.

Elvira Nov 7th 2006 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by sambuc
I get some cheese from Costco, .......

Our local Costco often has real Irish cheddar! :)

paddingtongreen Nov 7th 2006 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by Elvira
Our local Costco often has real Irish cheddar! :)

If I may make so bold, your Worship, "real chedder" comes from Somerset, not Ireland.

Elvira Nov 7th 2006 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by paddingtongreen
If I may make so bold, your Worship, "real chedder" comes from Somerset, not Ireland.

If you say so, you naughty boy, but real Irish cheddar comes from Ireland :p

Bob Nov 8th 2006 1:14 am

Originally Posted by Hiro11
Maybe an obvious tip: Whole Foods has a pretty good imported and domestic cheese selection. I'm a bit of a cheese fanatic and the domestic stuff can be very good. I'm a particular fan of "Humboldt Fog" a blue goat cheese from California. It's not that exensive either.

The one issue is that raw-milk cheese is banned in some parts the US and can be somewhat hard to find. Having said that, this ban is rarely entirely enforced.

One note: good cheese is never cheap.

Aye, wholefoods....there having a great deal on some lovely English Stilton and Cheddar...well worth getting, and there's some cheese I think from vermont, starts with an R, rogber somin' or other...anyway, nice and strong, not quite cheddar, but lovely stuff...

Ray Nov 8th 2006 2:50 am

Originally Posted by paddingtongreen

Unlike other well known cheeses, Cheddar's name is not protected so it has been used and abused by many producers around the world.

Sally Nov 8th 2006 2:52 am

Irish Cheddar is good though. The price isn't bad in Trader Joe's.