British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Good, cheap, sturdy, winter boots (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/good-cheap-sturdy-winter-boots-338702/)

HoosierDaddy Nov 21st 2005 4:15 pm

Good, cheap, sturdy, winter boots

Does anyone have any recommendations for reliable footwear for a Midwest winter? Looking for a men's winter boot to keep out the elements, while being comfortable and cheap.

Any prices/brands/experiences would be appreciated. I've only really had one pair which weren't all that great. A pair of Timberland hiking boots.

Thanks, as always.

jamjar Nov 21st 2005 4:30 pm

Re: Good, cheap, sturdy, winter boots

Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy
Does anyone have any recommendations for reliable footwear for a Midwest winter? Looking for a men's winter boot to keep out the elements, while being comfortable and cheap.

Any prices/brands/experiences would be appreciated. I've only really had one pair which weren't all that great. A pair of Timberland hiking boots.

Lands End (www.landsend.com) make great kids snowboots at reasonable prices -- I've haven't checked out their adult ones.
I have a pair of Sorrel boots (left over from when I lived in Upstate NY). They did the job - kept my feet warm and dry even when shovelling 2ft of snow in temps way below 0f. But I have to warn you they're not exactly stylish. Then again when the temp is -20f and there's several feet of snow on the ground who gives a s*** about style. :)

Bob Nov 21st 2005 5:12 pm

LL Beans, lifetime satisfaction, which there really good about, and worth the money...Merrell make nice light winter boots...other makes...Cats, Dunham..

But it depends on the cold rating your looking for, -20F can be had from $20-50..-65F closer to $90-130 and -95F around $150+
Also depends on how waterproofed your want them, and if a slip on, laced, zippered...zippers are generally pretty easy to put on, just make sure the zipper has a leather shield beneath to keep it sealed....

Chorlton Nov 21st 2005 6:18 pm

Thanks, as always.

Take a look at the stuff they have at sportsmansguide.com - some great deals :)

antjen Nov 21st 2005 6:20 pm

Thanks, as always.

i have always been a fan of Dr Martins boots - but they are not so cheap over in Us (around $110 last time i saw them)

Ant

Ray Nov 21st 2005 6:33 pm

Redwings are considered the best
http://www.redwingshoes.com/

Angry White Pyjamas Nov 21st 2005 6:42 pm

Flip flops are good winter wear here I believe.

Sasoozie Nov 21st 2005 7:18 pm

I'm being told that Sorel are the bomb-diggity..

Bob Nov 21st 2005 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by antjen
i have always been a fan of Dr Martins boots - but they are not so cheap over in Us (around $110 last time i saw them)

Ant

not that great in the cold though, pain in the arse dealing with the laces too *l*

Bob Nov 21st 2005 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by Ray
Redwings are considered the best
http://www.redwingshoes.com/

there good for the highend woods boot, but you pay for it, but the lower scale end ain't so great apparantly...

Bob Nov 21st 2005 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by Sasoozie
I'm being told that Sorel are the bomb-diggity..

Wouldn't say bomb-diggity, but yeah, there pretty decent winter boots...grip can be a bit flakey though..

NC Penguin Nov 21st 2005 8:42 pm

Thanks, as always.

What's your idea of cheap? Price range would help 'cos I think the suggestions given so far probably differ a bit.

NC Penguin

Bob Nov 21st 2005 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
What's your idea of cheap? Price range would help 'cos I think the suggestions given so far probably differ a bit.

They do, from $35-250...

iaink Nov 21st 2005 8:59 pm

Up in canada I find the best value boots in places like Marks... they sell to the "workwear" market thats more interested in practical performance than image or name brand.
Im sure there are similar chains in the states.

The last pair I got there were about $100CDN and perform every bit as well as more expensive Sorels etc. Baffins are the acknowledged masters at real low temperature footware, but thats probably overkill in the midwest.

Pay attention to the withstand temperature. If you plan standing around go for a big low number, otherwise -30 to -40C should be OK.

Theres an expat article here Its about canada, but the mid west is not that different.

Bob Nov 21st 2005 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by iaink
The last pair I got there were about $100CDN and perform every bit as well as more expensive Sorels etc. Baffins are the acknowledged masters at real low temperature footware, but thats probably overkill in the midwest.

Sorels expensive? naaa....