Reload this Page >

Golden Globe...

Golden Globe...

Old Jan 17th 2006, 2:24 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Golden Globe...

Originally Posted by izibear
Yup. Don't even give a toss about the Oscars since moving here (excepting when our old gal won a couple of years ago of course ), due to the weekly pat-on-the-back-see-how-talented-we-all-are fests.

yeah I agree with you all, it's pretty boring stuff....never watched them in the UK coz I had other things to do so shows how my life has deteriorated...
Old Jan 17th 2006, 2:41 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Gotta hand it to you Brits... lol

http://movies.msn.com/movies/article.aspx?news=212312
Old Jan 18th 2006, 3:07 pm
Account Closed

Britarm has a reputation beyond reputeBritarm has a reputation beyond reputeBritarm has a reputation beyond reputeBritarm has a reputation beyond reputeBritarm has a reputation beyond reputeBritarm has a reputation beyond reputeBritarm has a reputation beyond reputeBritarm has a reputation beyond reputeBritarm has a reputation beyond reputeBritarm has a reputation beyond reputeBritarm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
I used to like the awards but you soon realise there's an award ceremony every coupla months...same old people same old awards
Doing an early peep this a.m. and thought I would put my two cents worth in. The Golden Globes tend to be in three parts, the Hollywood crowd sitting around tables with their drinks and their idiosyncrasies, how the Hollywood crowd dress and what they have accomplished in the last year, this includes TV stars also. The Oscars are about World wide Movies and Foreign entries, therefore have a larger audience. Most males couldn't give a shit about the fashion displays, unless there is a dress maladjustment, of course.
Living in LA we had adverts, all day, every day, on the most nominated movie for the Golden Globes, "Brokeback Mountain", it has been pushed to get Hollywood's agenda across, so it will push DVD sales later. There are certain authors, script writers, Directors, who feel they must put their agenda across to us less informed viewers, as they put it, and for the movie that will show it they try and get the most viewable actors/actresses, who, on the most part are loved by audiences.
"Brokeback Mountain" is depicting Bisexuals, not Homosexuals, when young I would love watching Cowboy movies, or, as in Brokeback, sheep Herder's, or, as in Wales, sheep shaggers, as I matured, I began to think about these guys, they ate beans every day, no fruit or veggies, no bath for weeks, also, most of them could not read or write, and, as Historians say, bestiality became part of their life style.
However, to cut this Post short, it won it's accolades, but I doubt it will win an Oscar, in fact, I doubt it will win anything.
Old Jan 18th 2006, 8:09 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Golden Globe...

Originally Posted by Britarm
Doing an early peep this a.m. and thought I would put my two cents worth in. The Golden Globes tend to be in three parts, the Hollywood crowd sitting around tables with their drinks and their idiosyncrasies, how the Hollywood crowd dress and what they have accomplished in the last year, this includes TV stars also. The Oscars are about World wide Movies and Foreign entries, therefore have a larger audience. Most males couldn't give a shit about the fashion displays, unless there is a dress maladjustment, of course.
Living in LA we had adverts, all day, every day, on the most nominated movie for the Golden Globes, "Brokeback Mountain", it has been pushed to get Hollywood's agenda across, so it will push DVD sales later. There are certain authors, script writers, Directors, who feel they must put their agenda across to us less informed viewers, as they put it, and for the movie that will show it they try and get the most viewable actors/actresses, who, on the most part are loved by audiences.
"Brokeback Mountain" is depicting Bisexuals, not Homosexuals, when young I would love watching Cowboy movies, or, as in Brokeback, sheep Herder's, or, as in Wales, sheep shaggers, as I matured, I began to think about these guys, they ate beans every day, no fruit or veggies, no bath for weeks, also, most of them could not read or write, and, as Historians say, bestiality became part of their life style.
However, to cut this Post short, it won it's accolades, but I doubt it will win an Oscar, in fact, I doubt it will win anything.
I disagree with you. Brokeback Mountain was beautifully filmed and I really enjoyed it (I didn't actually realise that cowboys herded sheep, I thought only shepherds did that!).

My only gripe was that the sound quality was poor - Heath Ledger's dialogue (when he spoke as he portrayed a man of few words) was muffled and I didn't always catch what he said....I thought it was just me as we went to the local cinema which probably hasn't changed since the 1950s, but I read somewhere else that other patrons had the same problem.

A few years ago three black actors all won Oscars (can't remember the guys but I think the trio consisted of Halle Berry in the dreadful 'Monster's Ball', Denzil Washington and Jamie Foxx?) and the comedian Chris Rock made a big issue out of it about how black actors had been overlooked for so many years (odd that Halle Berry's mother is white....wonder why she only seems to identify with being black when she is mixed race?)

The black actors have had 'their turn' and my guess is that this year it's the turn of 'characters' (not actors) in gay/bi/transgendered roles which will garner the votes of the judges awarding the Oscars.

I haven't seen 'TransAmerica' and I don't think I've even seen any promotion for this movie - that's if it was even played in my local district (NYC metro area).

(I did hear on the radio that in a lot of small communities in middle America 'Brokeback Mountain' is not being played as it apparently doesn't appeal to the local audiences....the distributors are hoping that the GG success may change that...).
Old Jan 18th 2006, 10:27 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum

My only gripe was that the sound quality was poor - Heath Ledger's dialogue (when he spoke as he portrayed a man of few words) was muffled and I didn't always catch what he said....I thought it was just me as we went to the local cinema which probably hasn't changed since the 1950s, but I read somewhere else that other patrons had the same problem.

......).
That's why I watch most of my movies on DVD - I can turn on the subtitles for the decrepit. You don't think maybe you're suffering from the same afflliction do you, EM? :scared:
Old Jan 18th 2006, 11:35 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: Golden Globe...

Originally Posted by dunroving
That's why I watch most of my movies on DVD - I can turn on the subtitles for the decrepit. You don't think maybe you're suffering from the same afflliction do you, EM? :scared:

Eh? What affliction?
Old Jan 19th 2006, 12:07 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Eh? What affliction?
Pardon? Speak up!