Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Going to university as a mature student

Going to university as a mature student

Old Feb 22nd 2012, 1:50 pm
Forum Regular

njmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nice
Default Re: Going to university as a mature student

Originally Posted by polar_bear
I am 31 years old, a permanent resident in US and self-employed. Did not go into further education back in the UK as frankly I was a feckless waster at that age but as I get older it interests me more and would improve my employment prospects should that be necessary further down the line.

However, I know that any respectable university will require certain results at high school level for admission, and also I believe US universities also make you continue Maths, English etc at university even if you are studying something totally different (I am considering Philosophy (yeah yeah, I know) and/or Economics). All I have is A-Levels in Economics and Maths.

So my questions are, 1) Am I likely to get into any decent University or will I first have to do the equivalent of a high school graduation? Obviously that would be a lot of work, re-learning stuff from 15 years ago that I have since forgotten. And 2) are there any Unis that simply focus on the subject you wish to study rather than making you do Calculus/Shakespeare etc on top?

Please go easy on me as I'm sure there are many negatives but I'm new to all this stuff.
During my first stint in the USA I attended Rutgers to to a Business Management Degree. I was able to provide copies of my A-Levels and they were happy to accept them. Unofficially I was told the A-Levels were seen on a similar level to an associates degree here in the US.

Now each school or college will have different standards, but you should have no problem getting into a US college with A-Levels
Old Feb 22nd 2012, 4:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Going to university as a mature student

Originally Posted by njmackem

Now each school or college will have different standards, but you should have no problem getting into a US college with A-Levels
I would generally agree with this.

I think you may have to just do the general ed/breadth requirements and suck it up. In any case that's not so bad - you generally get a wide swathe of classes to pick from and you should be able to find something that piques your interest in each category.

Also agree that from a cost perspective you can use community college to get all the trivial stuff out of the way cheaply. If you work hard and do well there, you can transfer to a more prestigious school down the line.

However if i were you, I would go straight to the big school, move into a dorm or frat and start doing keg stands right away.