Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Going to the UK this summer...or not?

Going to the UK this summer...or not?

Old Jul 2nd 2008, 2:41 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Going to the UK this summer...or not?

For those who don't mind missing Christmas Day, travel on Dec 25 itself is often a bargain. We've done it many times (we're Jews/Atheists so don't celebrate or anything.)
Most recently, I booked a round-trip to LHR on Christmas Day just 15 hours in advance (because of a bereavement) and got a very cheap price (comparatively - obviously the surcharges push up all prices.)
As for the summer, we've decided to stay home for positive reasons, enjoying the garden & going for local cycle rides & hang out at the town beach. Also, I have major "summer projects" at work so would rather stay here..
Then, I'm planning a trip to the UK in September which is a much nicer time to go than the summer! I'm now hooked on Family History so want to visit the National Archives at Kew and the Society of Genealogists Library.
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 3:49 pm
Diamond Geezer

Ridski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
For those who don't mind missing Christmas Day, travel on Dec 25 itself is often a bargain. We've done it many times (we're Jews/Atheists so don't celebrate or anything.)
Most recently, I booked a round-trip to LHR on Christmas Day just 15 hours in advance (because of a bereavement) and got a very cheap price (comparatively - obviously the surcharges push up all prices.)
As for the summer, we've decided to stay home for positive reasons, enjoying the garden & going for local cycle rides & hang out at the town beach. Also, I have major "summer projects" at work so would rather stay here..
Then, I'm planning a trip to the UK in September which is a much nicer time to go than the summer! I'm now hooked on Family History so want to visit the National Archives at Kew and the Society of Genealogists Library.
I've flown out on Christmas Day, it's fun, and you get turkey on the plane, and they let the kids wish everyone a merry Christmas on the tannoy. However, I'd completely forgotten they jack up the taxi prices to Bank Holiday prices, we were royally screwed.
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 5:38 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ridski
I've flown out on Christmas Day, it's fun, and you get turkey on the plane, and they let the kids wish everyone a merry Christmas on the tannoy. However, I'd completely forgotten they jack up the taxi prices to Bank Holiday prices, we were royally screwed.
One time we arrived at LHR on Boxing Day morning, having booked & paid in advance for a subcompact car at Hertz. When we pulled into the Hertz lot, it was empty -- except for about 25 Kia 8-seater vans. Other customers, Hertz told them they would have to wait (probably several hours) for a car to come in, as they had reservations but hadn't prepaid. Us, they told us we had a "free upgrade" to the 8-seater diesel van. Oh Joy!! I've never used Hertz since (Europcar has never let me down.)
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 5:48 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Muswell Hill
Have any of you put off travel because of rising prices?
Nope! Sheila and I are headed to the UK in 3 weeks!

Ian
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 6:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

OH and I booked tickets in March to fly to Edinburgh for 2 weeks in August. Was able to use skymiles to get one ticket (mostly) free. Even then, I was told it was a good thing we bought them then because flights were filling up already. Just yesterday, though, Delta called and told me that the intinerary had changed - apparently the flight from Edinburg to JFK was leaving 3 hrs later, so we had to change our connection from JFK to Cincinnati. I wonder if they cancelled a flight from Edin. to JFK since there was a 3 hr difference? If so, guess that means their planes aren't filling like they said in March, or people have cancelled.
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 7:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

For those who don't mind missing Christmas Day, travel on Dec 25 itself is often a bargain.
Same applies to Thanksgiving - outbound flight from the US to the UK on Thanksgiving Day itself have, in the past, usually been a good deal.
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 10:00 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Don't get a chance to go back. Those friends and family who like summer vacations book their rooms then. Those that like sking and snowboarding come in January or February. Never enough people back in the UK to visit.
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 10:50 pm
Forum Regular

Bladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of light

I just got back. Was paying three-eighty, or $7.50, for a pint of lager in a normal London pub. A pint and a glass of wine was almost $20.

Cheapest flights are with Zoom from to Gatwick. If you are flexible, it's worth bidding with Priceline. I paid $650 with AA via a Priceline bid.

AA is great. It's mostly Yanks who fly with them, so the queue at immigration is often longer for USCs than it is for foeigners. I sailed through with no queue at all.
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 10:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Been there, got the t-shirt and came home today. I'm knackered!
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 11:05 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Been there, got the t-shirt and came home today. I'm knackered!
Did you have a good time?

Edit: It's OK...I've just read your thread in the Lounge.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jul 2nd 2008 at 11:08 pm.
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 11:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Did you have a good time?

Edit: It's OK...I've just read your thread in the Lounge.
Its hard to sum up two weeks in a short post, isn't it?
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 2:02 am
Forum Regular

BlightyBoy is on a distinguished road

We have bought our plane tickets. I hear about surcharges, is it possible that they will make us pay more for the increased price of fuel even though we've paid already?
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 2:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
Same applies to Thanksgiving - outbound flight from the US to the UK on Thanksgiving Day itself have, in the past, usually been a good deal.
The same true going to the UK in the couple of days before Thanksgiving. Americans are too busy worrying about turkey to be travelling abroad then... I went to the UK a couple of years ago on the Tues before Thanksgiving and the plane was really empty.
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 12:58 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
The same true going to the UK in the couple of days before Thanksgiving. Americans are too busy worrying about turkey to be travelling abroad then... I went to the UK a couple of years ago on the Tues before Thanksgiving and the plane was really empty.
I don't think we worry about turkey -- we typically salivate in anticipation of turkey?
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 5:25 pm
Banned

greggx101 has a brilliant futuregreggx101 has a brilliant futuregreggx101 has a brilliant futuregreggx101 has a brilliant futuregreggx101 has a brilliant futuregreggx101 has a brilliant futuregreggx101 has a brilliant futuregreggx101 has a brilliant future

Not any more...for some reason.

We were going to do that this year but prices are same or 10 dollar cheaper than peak.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.