Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Going to UK; do they record your arrival/departure?

Going to UK; do they record your arrival/departure?

Old Jan 8th 2010, 3:24 am
Forum Regular

wordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Going to UK; do they record your arrival/departure?

Jack Straw a prat? NeVer!

Is it not also the case that all airlines log your passport number these days when checking in and that list is passed on to immigration?
Old Jan 8th 2010, 3:24 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wordfool
Jack Straw a prat? NeVer!

Is it not also the case that all airlines log your passport number these days when checking in and that list is passed on to immigration?
It is and the airlines are supposed to flag it if someone has outstayed their leave. US exit controls are effectively when a foreigner's landing card is removed from their passport at disembarkation by the airline, I assume it is then handed back to the USCIS who log and file it as needed. This is in stark contrast to a lot of continental EU countries and countries in the Far East who monitor exit controls almost as much as they do entry, as anybody who has ever flew out of France or Japan will testify.

EU citizens probably have the highest level of anonymity on Earth in this respect as our passports are almost never stamped when visiting other EU nations and the only EU country to ever scan my passport is the UK, although from my experience they do seem to do this with every EU passport now regardless of how long the lines are, much to the traveller's dismay a lot of the time.

Last edited by DigitalGhost; Jan 8th 2010 at 3:26 pm.
Old Jan 8th 2010, 3:31 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Your passport was checked when you picked up your boarding pass and logged then, if you had not been on the flight then they would of removed your luggage and logged that you did not make the flight.
Yes the UK is aware.
Old Jan 8th 2010, 7:06 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
Your passport was checked when you picked up your boarding pass and logged then, if you had not been on the flight then they would of removed your luggage and logged that you did not make the flight.
Yes the UK is aware.
Yes, but when I entered the UK I used my British passport, which was scanned by the Immigration Officer. When I left, I showed the Air Canada check-in person my United States passport. Even if that information is passed to UK authorities, how would they know it is the same person?
Old Jan 8th 2010, 7:47 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Even if that information is passed to UK authorities, how would they know it is the same person?
If it was Heathrow from the photo taken of you as you arrived and left. :-)

It can be matched, name, date of birth, check the airline system for your booking and see if the other details match. Can be done not that difficult, would it be done for tax purposes well if you were trying to avoid paying huge amounts and they were looking to persecute yes, for you not worth it.
Old Jan 8th 2010, 7:47 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Yes, but when I entered the UK I used my British passport, which was scanned by the Immigration Officer. When I left, I showed the Air Canada check-in person my United States passport. Even if that information is passed to UK authorities, how would they know it is the same person?
All the info is linked the US knows about your UK passport and vice versa I used to work at a FBO and its all in system, plus the flight passenger manifest they know believe me.
Old Jan 8th 2010, 8:38 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lansbury
If it was Heathrow from the photo taken of you as you arrived and left. :-)

It can be matched, name, date of birth, check the airline system for your booking and see if the other details match. Can be done not that difficult, would it be done for tax purposes well if you were trying to avoid paying huge amounts and they were looking to persecute yes, for you not worth it.
Was that a Freudian Sex?