Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Going through passprt control in UK - question

Going through passprt control in UK - question

Old Apr 23rd 2007, 11:18 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Going through passprt control in UK - question

Originally Posted by danfan
If you have a UK & and US passprt can't you do it as:

US DL => Leave US (boarding ID) - show US passport
UK PPort => Enter UK - show UK passport
UK PPort => Leave UK (for want of anything else, as ID) - UK passport
US PPort => Enter US - US passport

??
Isn't that what he said?
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 11:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

danfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Isn't that what he said?
I dunno, I got cofused LOL could have!
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 11:29 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by danfan
I dunno, I got cofused LOL could have!
As a rule of thumb you use the PP of the country you are in...whether you are departing or arriving.
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 11:32 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Lycanthrop
I have never heard that before......thought it was just a preference of the State Dept.......you know, you are unprotected by the US Embassy if in trouble in the UK.......but if you are a UK Cit, why run to the US Embassy anyway? Unless you are really in trouble.....

.......hang on, something just went *boing* in my head.....

OK, here's a question then......do you need to show a Passport to leave a country?.....I honestly cant remember.

US DL => Leave US (boarding ID)
UK PPort => Enter UK
UK PPort => Leave UK (for want of anything else, as ID)
US PPort => Enter US
The US will only recognise you are a USC when overseas if you have entered that country on a US PP. Therefore as you are a Brit in the UK you would have used your UK PP.

For example: If you entered Japan on your US PP the US Gov. would recognise you as a USC...if you entered Japan on a UK PP...the US Gov would not recognise you as a USC.
Old Apr 24th 2007, 1:53 am
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

I always thought if you were USC, you left with your US PP, traveled around Europe with your UK PP if you so desire, and then return to the USA on your US pp. We need an expert to chime in, because I don't think we really know for sure.
Old Apr 24th 2007, 1:56 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Mallory
I always thought if you were USC, you left with your US PP, traveled around Europe with your UK PP if you so desire, and then return to the USA on your US pp. We need an expert to chime in, because I don't think we really know for sure.
Isn't that what we've been saying? You must leave and enter the US using your US PP.
Old Apr 24th 2007, 2:01 am
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Isn't that what we've been saying? You must leave and enter the US using your US PP.
i dunno. i thought he said he was going to leave on the UK pp, and come back on the US pp. i wouldn't want to chance leaving the US with a US pp, and arriving in the UK with a UK pp, seems a bit dodgy to me.

Last edited by Mallory; Apr 24th 2007 at 2:04 am.
Old Apr 24th 2007, 9:59 am

Lycanthrop is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mallory
i dunno. i thought he said he was going to leave on the UK pp, and come back on the US pp. i wouldn't want to chance leaving the US with a US pp, and arriving in the UK with a UK pp, seems a bit dodgy to me.
I think JG has it when she says:

"As a rule of thumb you use the PP of the country you are in...whether you are departing or arriving."

I thought it was a bit dodgy at first......sort of like "Mr & Mrs Smith" but it does make sense that you'd do it that way......
Old Apr 24th 2007, 10:40 am
Pompey Boy

gazzpfc will become famous soon enough

I arrived back from States into Gatwick on Sunday and can assure anyone your kids even foreign passport will go through with a UKC parent but if the other parent is non UK or EU citizen I am afraid to say they will be sent to the non EU line.
Old Apr 24th 2007, 12:30 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

I think JG has it when she says:

"As a rule of thumb you use the PP of the country you are in...whether you are departing or arriving."

I thought it was a bit dodgy at first......sort of like "Mr & Mrs Smith" but it does make sense that you'd do it that way......
It doesn't just make sense, it is the only legal way to do it - unless you want to be an alien in your own country...
Old Apr 24th 2007, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by gazzpfc
I arrived back from States into Gatwick on Sunday and can assure anyone your kids even foreign passport will go through with a UKC parent but if the other parent is non UK or EU citizen I am afraid to say they will be sent to the non EU line.
Originally Posted by Elvira
It doesn't just make sense, it is the only legal way to do it - unless you want to be an alien in your own country...
Panjemayo.....thanks.
Old Apr 24th 2007, 2:33 pm

James Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant future

Okay, so it was Nov 05 when I last took the family over. We flew into Heathrow. Me as a UKC, wife & kids as USC.

We asked and were told that they don't split families up and just to use the UK/EU line. Went through without any problems.
Old Apr 24th 2007, 6:38 pm
Just Joined

Cal 74 is an unknown quantity at this point

What? They just ask them do they.....or is the name enough.....which doesn't necc prove birth birth Father......
Hi all,
It doesn't actually matter which queue (line!) you stand in. We arrived back in the UK this morning. I'm a UKC and my wife is a USC. As always we stand in the 'citizens' line for our respective countries as it's usually the shortest.
If they allow it for married couples, I'm sure it's the same for parents and children.
Old Apr 24th 2007, 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by Cal 74
Hi all,
It doesn't actually matter which queue (line!) you stand in. We arrived back in the UK this morning. I'm a UKC and my wife is a USC. As always we stand in the 'citizens' line for our respective countries as it's usually the shortest.
If they allow it for married couples, I'm sure it's the same for parents and children.
Thanks for that......but she's allready decided she wants the strip seach and full cavity examination....

Ho hum.......there's just no pleasing foreigners
Old Apr 24th 2007, 6:54 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that......but she's allready decided she wants the strip seach and full cavity examination....

Ho hum.......there's just no pleasing foreigners
Matt, dear, I've heard it said that Americans call queues "lines" merely because they don't know how to spell "queue". As someone who has been here longer than may be healthy, what are your views on this?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.