Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Going through passprt control in UK - question

Going through passprt control in UK - question

Old Apr 23rd 2007, 10:48 am
Gone but not forgotten. RIP

TRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Going through passprt control in UK - question

Originally Posted by danfan
I'm planning my first trip back since I moved here in 2003. My husband might not be able to go so I will be taking my daughter (UKC) and son (USC only).

My question is probably obvious but just in case there is an easier solution, I thought I'd ask: when we arrive & get to the short queues for UK passort control & the long queues for non-UK, do we have to take the long way for his passprt checks or will my son be allowed through the UK control with me as his guardian?
A couple pf months ago I was in the UKC line at Manchester and saw a Brit woman being told that her USC son had to go through the Foreigners line by himself. He was 10 !!. The Passport Nazi was rude, indifferent to her stress and unhelpful.
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 1:23 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TRPardoe
A couple pf months ago I was in the UKC line at Manchester and saw a Brit woman being told that her USC son had to go through the Foreigners line by himself. He was 10 !!. The Passport Nazi was rude, indifferent to her stress and unhelpful.
Interesting, last time my wife and I flew into the UK (Heathrow) we both went through the non-EU line because we weren't sure. When we got to the desk we were told we could have gone through the EU line together. We plan on trying it at Gatwick at the beginning of May.
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 2:31 pm
Forum Regular

Texas_Scouser is just really niceTexas_Scouser is just really niceTexas_Scouser is just really niceTexas_Scouser is just really niceTexas_Scouser is just really niceTexas_Scouser is just really niceTexas_Scouser is just really niceTexas_Scouser is just really niceTexas_Scouser is just really niceTexas_Scouser is just really niceTexas_Scouser is just really nice

Flew to Gatwick in March. Took the entire family through the UK line.

2 step kids also. I never had any problems. I did say our flight was delayed and we needed to get our connecting flight.

Texas
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 7:06 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lycanthrop
Well that sucks......

I'm their natural Father and their natural Mother is the USC. The kids and I are all UKC's. Thanks for asking your GF..... ........So, even tho we are travelling as a family.....no step kids....no cat.......no budgie, my OH will have to go through her own line and I (along with our kids) will need a letter from her stating that I did not steal my own sons........right?

Thanks a lot BTW........
Since you and your sons will have to come back into the US on your US passports, won't you have to leave the US on those passports?
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 7:16 pm

Lycanthrop is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mallory
Since you and your sons will have to come back into the US on your US passports, won't you have to leave the US on those passports?
As I undertsand it.....we enter the UK on UK passports, then return to the US on the US passports........

Except the OH, who enters the UK on her US passport, is strip searched, poked and probed and we meet her on the other side all smiles.....

When would you flash a passport to leave your "own" country? Haven't done this in so long...... .....I'm assuming I'll use my DL to prove ID in leaving US, either that or slip a 20.....

Clear as mud.
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 8:08 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

As I undertsand it.....we enter the UK on UK passports, then return to the US on the US passports........

Except the OH, who enters the UK on her US passport, is strip searched, poked and probed and we meet her on the other side all smiles.....

When would you flash a passport to leave your "own" country? Haven't done this in so long...... .....I'm assuming I'll use my DL to prove ID in leaving US, either that or slip a 20.....

Clear as mud.
Wouldn't it be easier to all travel on US passports, and all go through together, instead of splitting with mom. Also, you would have to carry around 3 less passports.
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by Mallory
Wouldn't it be easier to all travel on US passports, and all go through together, instead of splitting with mom. Also, you would have to carry around 3 less passports.
Yeah but no but ah but yeah but..........if we enter the UK on a US passport it would need a visa stamp in it wouldn't it? Besides, I just spent months getting the bloody things and I'm damn well going to use them.......

Mallory, you are confusing me more...........I thought I had it sussed.......bugger it, we'll just all get Ukrainian ones........
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 8:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Clear as mud.
Dont worry you will not loose sight of her, the line's are all near by each other.
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 8:33 pm
In the pink

Smile Re: Going through passprt control in UK - question

Yeah but no but ah but yeah but..........if we enter the UK on a US passport it would need a visa stamp in it wouldn't it? Besides, I just spent months getting the bloody things and I'm damn well going to use them.......

Mallory, you are confusing me more...........I thought I had it sussed.......bugger it, we'll just all get Ukrainian ones........
But what if you lose the precious objects, when you didn't really need them on this trip? Save them for the BIG trip!

Yeah, I would want to use them too! LOL
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 9:13 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder if you are a UK citizen if you have to enter and leave the UK on your UK PP. Afterall it is an offence if you are a USC to enter or leave the US using a PP from another country.
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 10:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

danfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TRPardoe
Ah, that's what I am worried about. He's 10 also, way too young to go through alone. This will be Manc airport too.
Maybe I'll just ask on the plane when I'm on the way LOL
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I wonder if you are a UK citizen if you have to enter and leave the UK on your UK PP. Afterall it is an offence if you are a USC to enter or leave the US using a PP from another country.
I have never heard that before......thought it was just a preference of the State Dept.......you know, you are unprotected by the US Embassy if in trouble in the UK.......but if you are a UK Cit, why run to the US Embassy anyway? Unless you are really in trouble.....

.......hang on, something just went *boing* in my head.....

OK, here's a question then......do you need to show a Passport to leave a country?.....I honestly cant remember.

US DL => Leave US (boarding ID)
UK PPort => Enter UK
UK PPort => Leave UK (for want of anything else, as ID)
US PPort => Enter US
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 10:51 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

[I]

OK, here's a question then......do you need to show a Passport to leave a country?.....I honestly cant remember.

UK PPort => Enter UK
US PPort => Enter US

yep, passports are checked or should be when you check in for your flight and then again at the departure lounge.
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 11:04 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I have never heard that before......thought it was just a preference of the State Dept.......you know, you are unprotected by the US Embassy if in trouble in the UK.......but if you are a UK Cit, why run to the US Embassy anyway? Unless you are really in trouble.....

UK PPort => Enter UK
US PPort => Enter US
Yes you do...as TruBrit says.

A similar question has just been discussed in the Immigration forum. A Canadian (actually I seem to remember he is a UK citizen as well) who is becoming a USC thinks he won't need his Canadian PP. He has just been told to enter and leave Canada the Canadian Govt require him to use his Canadian PP.
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 11:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

danfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond repute

UK PPort => Enter UK
US PPort => Enter US
If you have a UK & and US passprt can't you do it as:

US DL => Leave US (boarding ID) - show US passport
UK PPort => Enter UK - show UK passport
UK PPort => Leave UK (for want of anything else, as ID) - UK passport
US PPort => Enter US - US passport

??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.