Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Going through Heathrow

Going through Heathrow

Old Nov 30th 2006, 6:10 pm
  #1  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
Thread Starter
 
Boiler's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Colorado
Posts: 33,396
Boiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond repute
Default Going through Heathrow

May well have been mentioned before, but if it was I did not see it.

My experiance was at Terminal 3.

The check in machines knew I had a GC, no idea how, had not told United.

But the machines whilst asking for it can not read it so it seems so you still end up doing manual check in.

The queues for Security can be horrendous, my wife went back a few days early and could go through Fastrack, the pleb queue was into the arrivals area. I was OK in the pleb queue but had an early flight and the Undergoriund system had collapased, track fire at Earls Court, which could also have explained the empty plane. I wandered over about 30 minutes before departure and was the last one on board.

They give you little bags to put your cosmetices etc into.

One bag only and it must fit in the cage. When my wife went through there was somebody with 2two bags of Camera equipment holding the line up insisting he could not check it in, he was eventually taken away...

When I went through there was a guy in front of me whose bag would not fit it the cage, only just, the little wheel caught on the edge, he was escorted back to check in. Handbags count as a bag, purses probably OK.

I do not normally fly through Chicago, but the Immigration etc experiance was fine, 15 minutes from the plane to checking my bags back in for a connecting flight.
Boiler is offline  
Old Dec 1st 2006, 12:45 pm
  #2  
Blondie22
 
blaze's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,738
blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Going through Heathrow

Originally Posted by Boiler
May well have been mentioned before, but if it was I did not see it.

My experiance was at Terminal 3.

The check in machines knew I had a GC, no idea how, had not told United.

But the machines whilst asking for it can not read it so it seems so you still end up doing manual check in.

The queues for Security can be horrendous, my wife went back a few days early and could go through Fastrack, the pleb queue was into the arrivals area. I was OK in the pleb queue but had an early flight and the Undergoriund system had collapased, track fire at Earls Court, which could also have explained the empty plane. I wandered over about 30 minutes before departure and was the last one on board.

They give you little bags to put your cosmetices etc into.

One bag only and it must fit in the cage. When my wife went through there was somebody with 2two bags of Camera equipment holding the line up insisting he could not check it in, he was eventually taken away...

When I went through there was a guy in front of me whose bag would not fit it the cage, only just, the little wheel caught on the edge, he was escorted back to check in. Handbags count as a bag, purses probably OK.

I do not normally fly through Chicago, but the Immigration etc experiance was fine, 15 minutes from the plane to checking my bags back in for a connecting flight.



I wonder how it will be in about 7 months time when I fly home next. I back all the security measures 100% but definitely not looking forward to travelling that way with a small child.
The check in desks at Heathrow are appalling because no bugger knows which line they should be in. You could be standing in the wrong one for an hour and then realize that the line you should have been in was the one that was the shortest!
blaze is offline  
Old Dec 1st 2006, 2:59 pm
  #3  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 390
wtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Going through Heathrow

Originally Posted by Boiler
May well have been mentioned before, but if it was I did not see it.

My experiance was at Terminal 3.

The check in machines knew I had a GC, no idea how, had not told United.

But the machines whilst asking for it can not read it so it seems so you still end up doing manual check in.

The queues for Security can be horrendous, my wife went back a few days early and could go through Fastrack, the pleb queue was into the arrivals area. I was OK in the pleb queue but had an early flight and the Undergoriund system had collapased, track fire at Earls Court, which could also have explained the empty plane. I wandered over about 30 minutes before departure and was the last one on board.

They give you little bags to put your cosmetices etc into.

One bag only and it must fit in the cage. When my wife went through there was somebody with 2two bags of Camera equipment holding the line up insisting he could not check it in, he was eventually taken away...

When I went through there was a guy in front of me whose bag would not fit it the cage, only just, the little wheel caught on the edge, he was escorted back to check in. Handbags count as a bag, purses probably OK.

I do not normally fly through Chicago, but the Immigration etc experiance was fine, 15 minutes from the plane to checking my bags back in for a connecting flight.
Flew from Chicago to Barcelona via Heathrow a couple of weeks ago (not on a radioactive plane!). Security queue was an hour or more at O'Hare (Oh and at the point where you have to remove your deadly shoes there was freshly spat gum on the floor. Lovely.), then almost another hour at Heathrow, yet at no point was there an immigration check! Lots of security and airline people looked at the passport and my 100ml of toothpaste in a clear bag but no immigration. So much for border security...

Last edited by wtkp0u; Dec 1st 2006 at 3:04 pm.
wtkp0u is offline  
Old Dec 1st 2006, 4:19 pm
  #4  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
Thread Starter
 
Boiler's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Colorado
Posts: 33,396
Boiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Going through Heathrow

Originally Posted by wtkp0u
Flew from Chicago to Barcelona via Heathrow a couple of weeks ago (not on a radioactive plane!). Security queue was an hour or more at O'Hare (Oh and at the point where you have to remove your deadly shoes there was freshly spat gum on the floor. Lovely.), then almost another hour at Heathrow, yet at no point was there an immigration check! Lots of security and airline people looked at the passport and my 100ml of toothpaste in a clear bag but no immigration. So much for border security...
Must be timing.

On Wednesday afternoon there was no queue for security at Chicago. Walked straight up and dumped my stuff on the belt. Terminal 1. Transit time from plane arriving at the International Terminal 5? to Gate at Terminal 1 was 30 minutes. Probably exceptional.

There would not be an Immigration check at Heathrow, if you are transiting you do not have to leave the International side, unlike Chicago where you have no option.
Boiler is offline  
Old Dec 1st 2006, 4:52 pm
  #5  
Back where I belong!
 
Partystar's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Posts: 5,989
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Going through Heathrow

Originally Posted by blaze
I wonder how it will be in about 7 months time when I fly home next. I back all the security measures 100% but definitely not looking forward to travelling that way with a small child.
The check in desks at Heathrow are appalling because no bugger knows which line they should be in. You could be standing in the wrong one for an hour and then realize that the line you should have been in was the one that was the shortest!
I wouldn't worry about it mate, it was very easy for me back in September going through Heathrow. They took me off to a separate place as I had my stroller, car seat, 2 diaper bags & a toddler, they were very very helpful.

The only liquids I had was some Tylenol as Tyler was still a bit ill. Going out from PHX, they didn't make me taste it. Coming back from Heathrow, I had to take it on the plane with me again as Tyler (and me too! ) got sick just before we were due to return & they made me taste it, I just popped the dropper on my tongue, no big deal, apart from it not tasting too nice.

Apart from the 2 hour delay going both ways, it was a breeze & they couldn't have been more helpful. I love BA!
Partystar is offline  
Old Dec 1st 2006, 5:08 pm
  #6  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 390
wtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Going through Heathrow

Originally Posted by Boiler
There would not be an Immigration check at Heathrow, if you are transiting you do not have to leave the International side, unlike Chicago where you have no option.
But there was no immigration check in Spain either, presumably since there is an "open" border between European countries. Shouldn't entering Europe be recorded somewhere?
wtkp0u is offline  
Old Dec 1st 2006, 7:12 pm
  #7  
Blondie22
 
blaze's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,738
blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Going through Heathrow

Originally Posted by Partystar
I wouldn't worry about it mate, it was very easy for me back in September going through Heathrow. They took me off to a separate place as I had my stroller, car seat, 2 diaper bags & a toddler, they were very very helpful.

The only liquids I had was some Tylenol as Tyler was still a bit ill. Going out from PHX, they didn't make me taste it. Coming back from Heathrow, I had to take it on the plane with me again as Tyler (and me too! ) got sick just before we were due to return & they made me taste it, I just popped the dropper on my tongue, no big deal, apart from it not tasting too nice.

Apart from the 2 hour delay going both ways, it was a breeze & they couldn't have been more helpful. I love BA!


That's good to know. (I don't like the 'tasting the tylenol' bit though, BLECH!) Of course if I give it to my son then I should be willing to take it myself I guess!
blaze is offline  
Old Dec 1st 2006, 7:16 pm
  #8  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
Thread Starter
 
Boiler's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Colorado
Posts: 33,396
Boiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Going through Heathrow

Originally Posted by wtkp0u
But there was no immigration check in Spain either, presumably since there is an "open" border between European countries. Shouldn't entering Europe be recorded somewhere?
There are Immigration checks if you enter the UK from Spain.

Whenever I have gone to Spain I thought I had gone through Immigration checks, well when arriving by air.
Boiler is offline  
Old Dec 1st 2006, 7:42 pm
  #9  
Back where I belong!
 
Partystar's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Posts: 5,989
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Going through Heathrow

Originally Posted by blaze
That's good to know. (I don't like the 'tasting the tylenol' bit though, BLECH!) Of course if I give it to my son then I should be willing to take it myself I guess!
Yeah, I can't stand that stuff, but it works wonders on him when he's got a cold/bug. Tyler always gags when I give him medicine neat, so I put it in his milk or juice & he doesn't even realise, it's perfect, no more puking it up all over me!!!
Partystar is offline  
Old Dec 1st 2006, 8:08 pm
  #10  
Blondie22
 
blaze's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,738
blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Going through Heathrow

Originally Posted by Partystar
Yeah, I can't stand that stuff, but it works wonders on him when he's got a cold/bug. Tyler always gags when I give him medicine neat, so I put it in his milk or juice & he doesn't even realise, it's perfect, no more puking it up all over me!!!



Surprisingly enough my son smiles when you say the word medicine! He's never had a problem taking it, it's just eye drops he can't stand. I always have to take the capsules or pills if I need something for a cold. Nyquil actually burns on the way down in liquid form, that makes me want to heave it back up!
blaze is offline  
Old Dec 1st 2006, 10:25 pm
  #11  
Back where I belong!
 
Partystar's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Posts: 5,989
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Going through Heathrow

Originally Posted by blaze
Surprisingly enough my son smiles when you say the word medicine! He's never had a problem taking it, it's just eye drops he can't stand. I always have to take the capsules or pills if I need something for a cold. Nyquil actually burns on the way down in liquid form, that makes me want to heave it back up!
He's a weird kid (I don't know where he gets it from! ), if anything goes near the back of his throat (apart from the normal swallowing of food/drink), piece of food, medicine, anything that he's not really expecting, he chokes & pukes. He was a pukie baby too. We're not having any more kids, we can't handle any more puke!!!
Partystar is offline  
Old Dec 2nd 2006, 12:22 am
  #12  
Just me!
 
antjen's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2002
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 752
antjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Going through Heathrow

ive always found heathrow airport to be one of the slowest processing, most un organised airports ive come accross!! - its the only thing i dread about going home to visit.


Ant
antjen is offline  
Old Dec 2nd 2006, 1:35 pm
  #13  
Blondie22
 
blaze's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,738
blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Going through Heathrow

Originally Posted by Partystar
He's a weird kid (I don't know where he gets it from! ), if anything goes near the back of his throat (apart from the normal swallowing of food/drink), piece of food, medicine, anything that he's not really expecting, he chokes & pukes. He was a pukie baby too. We're not having any more kids, we can't handle any more puke!!!







blaze is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.