British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Going for Sunday Lunch at a Pub (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/going-sunday-lunch-pub-259216/)

Englishmum Oct 10th 2004 3:26 pm

Going for Sunday Lunch at a Pub

It's a beautiful Autumn morning here in New Jersey....and I've just discovered a pub on the State border of NJ and Pennsylvania on the Delaware River...it seems to be owned by some Brits (they're having a Guy Fawkes celebration next month) so we're going to check it out and take a walk around the area which will be so lovely at this time of year.

They do Sunday lunches... :)

Husband is cycling there (approx 50 miles!!!) :eek: but he's teetotal so I'll be able to have some beers and he will drive home. :D
Check out the beers and menu here:

http://www.shipinn.com :beer:

Bob Oct 10th 2004 4:20 pm

Re: Going for Sunday Lunch at a Pub

That's awesome, if only we lived closer....
shame can't buy fireworks in maine, certainly miss the guy fawks stuff

Bob Oct 10th 2004 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by UKintheUSA
Bob,
You aren't that far from us!
Didn't you know that if you go into ANY New Hampshire Fireworks place and show an out of state ID you can buy all you want? They'll even let you go into a special room allowed only to people that don't live in NH. All the good stuff is in there! Definetly worth the trip!

Hehe...yeah, but your not allowed to use them in maine unless your a licensed person...so get in big trouble...and not far is all relative in this state *l*

Bob Oct 10th 2004 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by UKintheUSA
But that's only if you get caught! Can't you run? We always let them off at the beach in Scarboro.....you just have to be prepared to run like H***! :scared:

Hehe...you seen the houses on the ocean front? not a chance *l*
Need a permit to have a bonfire too...hell, even need a permit to burn wood fullstop really...not that everyone bothers..

honeymommy Oct 10th 2004 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by Bob
Hehe...you seen the houses on the ocean front? not a chance *l*
Need a permit to have a bonfire too...hell, even need a permit to burn wood fullstop really...not that everyone bothers..

Ah yes.... California.. $2000 fine if we got caught.... :rolleyes:

Didn't stop us on the 3rd of July, the day before we left for the UK.... Friend bought us a load as a gift..... Had a great time..... :D

Bob Oct 10th 2004 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by honeymommy
Didn't stop us on the 3rd of July, the day before we left for the UK.... Friend bought us a load as a gift..... Had a great time..... :D

Awesome :)
Something fun about the whole bonfire and freezing ya bits off at the park...though it was the one event of the year that the whole uni would come to out little campus for....was massive, hell, even the Royal Hollow Way would come up for it :)

mattbutt Oct 11th 2004 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by Englishmum
It's a beautiful Autumn morning here in New Jersey....and I've just discovered a pub on the State border of NJ and Pennsylvania on the Delaware River...it seems to be owned by some Brits (they're having a Guy Fawkes celebration next month) so we're going to check it out and take a walk around the area which will be so lovely at this time of year.

They do Sunday lunches... :)

Husband is cycling there (approx 50 miles!!!) :eek: but he's teetotal so I'll be able to have some beers and he will drive home. :D
Check out the beers and menu here:

http://www.shipinn.com :beer:

Not much further from there into PA is a town called portland, I went camping there. And found a British Greasy Spoon, had a full english and they even had marmite for sale too!

I think its called union jacks but cant find it listed on the web, some guy in a lotus pulled up outside too, was all very surreal as the town is in the middle on nowhere.

James Box Oct 11th 2004 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by Englishmum

That's a tad expensive. $16.95 for bangers and mash :eek:

Jan Alaska Oct 11th 2004 11:03 pm

Woohooo that menu looks so good !! and the food one isnt bad either. I just asked hubby if we could pop over for lunch/dinner sometime and he reckons its a wee bit far ... Maquest says its only 843 miles !!

Hrumph !!!

Jan Alaska Oct 11th 2004 11:11 pm

ooooooo BUT ... nows theres an idea for a expat meetup ?? decent beer (Manc) and real foooood !!

Lottie Oct 12th 2004 2:04 am

Nice one Englishmum...

We're only 60 miles away from this (according to MapQuest) so we'll definitely be popping over for Sunday lunch soon!

Found a really nice irish pub in WestChester today that served an excellent pint of guiness...mmmm :beer:

Lottie