Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Going to San Francisco Saturday - any tips??

Going to San Francisco Saturday - any tips??

Old Nov 18th 2003, 2:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to behold

Me and the Mrs also went to SF for our Honeymoon as well as a few days in Napa / Sonoma. We also happened to be there for Gay Pride, which was a pretty cool spectacle.

If you want to go to Alcatraz, I would book several days in advance as the tours sell out real quickly.

I would also ditto what the others said chinatown, lots of great sights, smells and sounds.

We went to the Haight/Ashbury area as well, which seems to be less about Free love and more about buying incense. Though it has to be said that what I consider to be the greatest music store in America (Amoeba Records) is on Haight.

Another place we went was a restaurant called 'The Stinking Rose' which is basically dedicated to garlic - so if you're a garlic lover, it's the place to go.

Overall I thought SF was pretty cool, lots of good food, though it can get a bit tiring on the legs, but the public transport is actually pretty good, imho.

Hope you have fun!
Old Nov 18th 2003, 2:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Pharrya
Though it has to be said that what I consider to be the greatest music store in America (Amoeba Records) is on Haight.
I 100% agree about Amoeba. When I used to own my record decks, I was in Amoeba every visit. A friend of a friend worked there and helped me out a lot in picking out all the newest vinal. The place has everything. If you ever make it out to Berkley across the bay, they also have another Amoeba records that is close to the college campus. Its a little smaller, but still has a great selection.
Old Nov 18th 2003, 3:30 pm
Forum Regular

joonmoon is an unknown quantity at this point

Here's a little ditty I made up, whilst reading this thread.

I left my heart in San Fransisco,
Above the blue and windy sea
To see the little cable cars, ride half way to the stars
Lala la la la something , something, I don't care
My love waits there in San Fransisco.

I've only got this far, but I think it's got possibilities, maybe someone out there as creative as me, can help me finish it.
Old Nov 18th 2003, 5:23 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Going to San Francisco Saturday - any tips??

Originally posted by dudleydowg
Is there anything other than cheap Ethiopian food?

Whathappens in thier restaurants? does a red cross bag of rice get parachuted onto your table and then a armed guerilla bursts out of the kitchen and snatches it away and slaughtering your children and raping your wife?
I've never been to one
Poor taste I know... But what do you call an Ethiopian with
2 rats...

A Caterer
Old Nov 18th 2003, 6:20 pm
K1 via London

Steffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the info guys! I can't wait to get over there. I already wish we had more days to spend there and we haven't even made it there yet. *L* Wow, I hope I can do as much of this stuff as possible!! Thanks again, it's been great help.

Originally posted by scotch03
Honeymoon - the only sughts you will be seeing darling is the hotel ceiling!
*LOL* Well, since we got married September 10th we already got a bunch of that out of our system, but no worries...there'll be plenty of that too! *L*

Originally posted by Patrick
CHINATOWN! CHINATOWN! CHINATOWN. Don't go into a tourist trap chinese restaurant go to one that where the locals go, you will not be sorry! or you could just go to ****ing outback
Examples...?
Old Nov 24th 2003, 4:06 pm
pharrya's troublen strife

ms_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant future
Default Amoeba records

One thing my husband pharrya forgot to mention is when we were at Amoeba, both of us went to the till with a huge stack of cd's... I checked out after my husband and mentioned that we were on our honeymoon- the girl at the till thought is was so cool that we went to Amoeba on our honeymoon, that she gave me 15% off my purchase!

Another activity worthy of mention is the mud baths in Calistioga... you haven't lived until you've soaked in twin bathtubs full of mud!
Old Nov 25th 2003, 2:53 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Going to San Francisco Saturday - any tips??

Originally posted by dudleydowg
Is there anything other than cheap Ethiopian food?

Whathappens in thier restaurants? does a red cross bag of rice get parachuted onto your table and then a armed guerilla bursts out of the kitchen and snatches it away and slaughtering your children and raping your wife?
I've never been to one
very funny, maybe a raid by Eritrean troops is not out of the question too?
Old Nov 26th 2003, 12:57 pm
Banned

Ranjini will become famous soon enough

Ah San Francisco. Thanks for the pics and a trip down memory lane Pimbot. One more thing I would do. If you have the time, rent a car and drive down highway 1 at least as far as the Big Sur, spend a couple of nights in Monterey or Carmel. This is something I will do again before I die. "I left my heart, in San Francisco....... "

Originally posted by Pimpbot
I dont live there, but I have visited around 12 times and was there for my honeymoon back in september. Fishermans Wharf and Pier 39 are on the usual tourist stops. Check out the stores on the pier and then if you like seafood, go check out a few of the restaurants upstairs. Try this link for some ideas http://www.pier39.com/ I can recommend Chic's Seafood Restaurant for great food and great views looking out to Alcatraz and the Golden Gate Bridge, Dante's Seafood Grill once again, for great food and an awsome nightime view of Coit tower and the Oakland bay bridge and the Pier Market Seafood Restaurant, where the view is not as great as the other two, but the food is just as good.

Take a bay cruise which takes you out and under the Golden Gate bridge and then turns around and passes real close to Alcatraz island before heading back to the wharf. I think tickets are just under $20 dollars for this and can be picked up at the blueline ticket office which is just a short walk from Pier 39.

Hop on a cable car near Ghirardelli Square in Victoria park and take it all the way downtown to Powell street. Its an awsome way to see the city and its pretty cheap. I think a return ticket is about $8 dollars.

Check out Ghirardelli Square and visit their original chocolate shop and sample one of their chocolate and ice cream sundaes(sp) You'll gain 20 pounds just looking at it, but there are plenty of hills in San Francisco, so you'll soon walk it off.

If you have a car? then drive through Golden Gate park and the Presidio. Beautifull area.

Check out Chinatown, its huge and you won't believe some of the smells lol.

Lombard Street. You may have seen it on TV, but its commonly known as the twistyest street in American. Although there is another that is worse, its this is just better to look at lol. You will pass by this on the cable car about 5 minutes into you trip from Victoria park.

Twin Peaks. Its the highest point in the city and day or night has the best view of San Francisco, from the Golden Gate Bridge, all the way over to the Oakland Bay Bridge. You can often see the fog come rolling in from the Pacific ocean, and it looks like cotton wool as it sits on the cliffs.

Drive to the Golden Gate bridge viewing areas to get some cool shots like the one I have attached to this post.

If I can think of any more I'll post later. But try this link for some more info http://www.sfvisitor.org/index.html
Old Dec 2nd 2003, 9:07 pm
K1 via London

Steffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond repute

In case anyone's interested, these are my honeymoon pics:

http://www.steffisphotography.com/sanfrancisco/
Old Dec 2nd 2003, 10:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute

Great pics Steffi !! looks like you had a wonderful time

Jan
Old Dec 2nd 2003, 11:10 pm
Banned

Ranjini will become famous soon enough

Loved the pics, Stefi. Pics of San Francisco always makes me nostalgic for the few happy days we spent there, ourselves.
We spent two nights at the Royal Pacific Motor Inn (I see that you have a pic of the motel sign, among your photos). We just drove down into downtown San Francisco and it was the first conveniently located motel we saw after the long drive on Highway 1. First thing we did, we showered and changed and hopped the cable car to Fisherman's Wharf. Thanks for sharing

Ranjini

Originally posted by Steffi
In case anyone's interested, these are my honeymoon pics:

http://www.steffisphotography.com/sanfrancisco/