Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Going to New York in March- get Dollars now or then?

Going to New York in March- get Dollars now or then?

Old Mar 2nd 2010, 7:29 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Going to New York in March- get Dollars now or then?

Originally Posted by penguinbar
Make sure you contact your bank and/or credit card companies to let them know that you will be using your cards overseas. Because of fraud they'll put a block on using the cards if you don't notify them.
They might. In 20 years of traveling I never let my banks know and it's never been an issue. I know others have got into a pickle though.
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 8:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

WARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Robw4
I have a HSBC Visa Debit card and i'll visit the bank soon.

*Fingers crossed it's cheap or no charge at all*

Thanks
From HSBC:

– using your card abroad

General: Any foreign currency debit card payments (including
cash withdrawals) are converted to Sterling by VISA or
MasterCard (as appropriate) using wholesale market rates
applying on the day the conversion is made. These transactions
are subject to our foreign exchange charge of 2.75%. We will
deduct the payment from your account once we receive details
of the payment from the card scheme, at the latest the next
working day. Details of the current wholesale market rates can
be obtained by calling us on the usual telephone numbers.

Cash Machines: There is an ATM transaction fee currently
2% (minimum £1.75, maximum £5.00) for withdrawing cash
at cash machines overseas. HSBC Advance and HSBC
Premier MyAccount customers can make withdrawals at cash
machines overseas free of ATM transaction fees from HSBC
and will therefore not pay this fee.
We will deduct the amount of the transaction fee from your
account once we receive details of the payment from the card
scheme, at the latest the next working day.
Some cash machine operators may apply a direct charge for
withdrawals from their cash machines and this will be advised
on screen at the time of withdrawal.

Shops and retailers: There is no transaction fee for using your
debit card to pay for goods and services overseas.

From here: http://www.hsbc.co.uk/1/PA_1_1_S5/co...Uulz:12c58ti63
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 8:21 pm
=]

Robw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really nice

Originally Posted by WARPed
From HSBC:

– using your card abroad

General: Any foreign currency debit card payments (including
cash withdrawals) are converted to Sterling by VISA or
MasterCard (as appropriate) using wholesale market rates
applying on the day the conversion is made. These transactions
are subject to our foreign exchange charge of 2.75%. We will
deduct the payment from your account once we receive details
of the payment from the card scheme, at the latest the next
working day. Details of the current wholesale market rates can
be obtained by calling us on the usual telephone numbers.

Cash Machines: There is an ATM transaction fee currently
2% (minimum £1.75, maximum £5.00) for withdrawing cash
at cash machines overseas. HSBC Advance and HSBC
Premier MyAccount customers can make withdrawals at cash
machines overseas free of ATM transaction fees from HSBC
and will therefore not pay this fee.
We will deduct the amount of the transaction fee from your
account once we receive details of the payment from the card
scheme, at the latest the next working day.
Some cash machine operators may apply a direct charge for
withdrawals from their cash machines and this will be advised
on screen at the time of withdrawal.

Shops and retailers: There is no transaction fee for using your
debit card to pay for goods and services overseas.

From here: http://www.hsbc.co.uk/1/PA_1_1_S5/co...Uulz:12c58ti63
Thank you so much!
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 10:41 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chartreuse
Damn right! Many of us on here, who moved last year, took a real shafting on the exchange rate. There's probably folks here who got bent over the last few times Sterling tanked too.

Holiday money...

You didn't...it was about at it's average then. 2 dollars to the pound only happens once every blue moon. 1.5 - 1.7 has been about average in the 14 years I've been here.
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 1:45 am
BE Enthusiast

WARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
You didn't...it was about at it's average then. 2 dollars to the pound only happens once every blue moon. 1.5 - 1.7 has been about average in the 14 years I've been here.
I was lucky enough to buy the fiance's (now mrs') engagement ring while the rate was 2.05! Phew!
Old Mar 4th 2010, 6:01 am
Forum Regular

wordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Exactly... it amuses me whenever I read some commentary or story in the UK that suggests the $2 per pound is "normal". Such short memories. If I were to peg "normal" it would be around $1.65, which is about the average it's been since I've lived here.

But I'm not expecting the pound to recover at all until after the election. The aneamic "recovery", fear of labor winning and continuing to screw things over, and the lack of any economic substance on the part of the Tories are all going to weight heavy on sterling IMO. The markets hate uncertainty.
Old Mar 4th 2010, 1:36 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wordfool
Exactly... it amuses me whenever I read some commentary or story in the UK that suggests the $2 per pound is "normal". Such short memories. If I were to peg "normal" it would be around $1.65, which is about the average it's been since I've lived here.
Yeah, well, we budgeted etc when it was at 2:1. By the time we had to move money to close on the house here it was 1.4:1. We had to downgrade our house and still ended up broke. Not to mention taking a massive loss on selling the UK house.

Glad you think it's funny though. Twat.
Old Mar 4th 2010, 2:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yeah, well, we budgeted etc when it was at 2:1. By the time we had to move money to close on the house here it was 1.4:1. We had to downgrade our house and still ended up broke. Not to mention taking a massive loss on selling the UK house.

Are you at all capable of engaging in forum threads without resorting to unpleasantness or name calling? The poster did not reference or quote you in his comments, knew little of your situation, and I'm sure that his heart positively bleeds that you had to buy a smaller house when you moved.

But, he is right. Anyone who bases the financial side of their future move to the US on a sustained exchange rate of 2-1 clearly hasn't done their homework and stands a good chance of disappointment when their move comes.

Why don't you take a walk or a chill pill before you post your comments and make this a nicer place for everyone who has to share it with you.

Old Mar 4th 2010, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by WARPed
Are you at all capable of engaging in forum threads without resorting to unpleasantness or name calling?
Yep, I do so all the time, except when dealing with knobcheeses like you.
Old Mar 4th 2010, 3:20 pm
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

Well I was very happy that the exchange rate dropped from 2:1 to 1.4:1 and has remained at a lower level since them. But it has nothing to do with schadenfreude for people that were in your situation. It's because I'm paying back debts in the UK, and am now paying over $100 less a month.

So whilst you think you got shafted because the pound got weaker, I was getting shafted because the pound was strong.

Swings and roundabouts.
Old Mar 4th 2010, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by zargof
Well I was very happy that the exchange rate dropped from 2:1 to 1.4:1 and has remained at a lower level since them. But it has nothing to do with schadenfreude for people that were in your situation. It's because I'm paying back debts in the UK, and am now paying over $100 less a month.

So whilst you think you got shafted because the pound got weaker, I was getting shafted because the pound was strong.

Swings and roundabouts.
Absolutely and fair play to you. T'was others' schadenfreude that ticked me off, earlier.
Old Mar 4th 2010, 3:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

sambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond repute

When we moved here almost 3 years ago it was 2:1 which was great for us as my OH's salary was negotiated at whatever the rate was on the day his 'contract' was signed. It doesn't impact us really as to what the rate is now. However, we are hoping to sell our UK house this this year, and would really like the rate to go up some by then!
Old Mar 4th 2010, 4:31 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
They might. In 20 years of traveling I never let my banks know and it's never been an issue. I know others have got into a pickle though.
I never used to do that until about 7 years ago I tried to use and ATM and none of my cards were excepted.This is including ATM debit card and Amex, Visa and Mastercard. I rang them all and they told me that they were blocked because I didn't notify them that I was going overseas and it was for my protection against fraud. I had to then tell them what countries I would be in, What dates I would be away and they also asked if I had a contact number in case of an unusually large charge on my card while I was there.
Old Mar 4th 2010, 5:45 pm
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Absolutely and fair play to you. T'was others' schadenfreude that ticked me off, earlier.
Schadenfreude:

Old Mar 4th 2010, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by nettlebed
Is there anything in life that isn't covered in Avenue Q?