British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Going to New York in March- get Dollars now or then? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/going-new-york-march-get-dollars-now-then-647108/)

Robw4 Jan 2nd 2010 11:16 pm

Going to New York in March- get Dollars now or then?

Hey, I am going on holiday to New York in March and I was wondering, would it be better to get them now or in March- will the exchange rate be better?

Thanks in advance :)

nettlebed Jan 2nd 2010 11:33 pm

Re: Going to New York in March- get Dollars now or then?

Originally Posted by Robw4 (Post 8213681)
Hey, I am going on holiday to New York in March and I was wondering, would it be better to get them now or in March- will the exchange rate be better?

Whoa! If I knew that, I'd be retiring by the end of the year.

Here is as good a way to tell as any: flip a coin.

E3only Jan 3rd 2010 12:08 am

I am going in March as well. Based in SYdney - all predictions (from brokers and banks) are AUD to strengthen. Personally though - I think USD will strengthen in Q1....So I am buying half of my need this week and leave the rest for Feb/March.

chartreuse Jan 3rd 2010 12:28 am

Originally Posted by nettlebed (Post 8213705)
Whoa! If I knew that, I'd be retiring by the end of the year.

Damn right! Many of us on here, who moved last year, took a real shafting on the exchange rate. There's probably folks here who got bent over the last few times Sterling tanked too.

Holiday money... :rolleyes:

augigi Jan 3rd 2010 1:03 am

I'm too lazy to do either, I just use my ATM card when I go away. Seems so quaint now, the idea of swapping your money over before you go.

E3only Jan 3rd 2010 2:47 am

Originally Posted by augigi (Post 8213857)
I'm too lazy to do either, I just use my ATM card when I go away. Seems so quaint now, the idea of swapping your money over before you go.

You would know better of course - US banks are much more competitive and may be use of ATM is better but forget about that from an AUssie bank. Such a rip off, lack of competition. Not only do they give lower exchange rate for your money but also charge you every time you use ATM...atleast that has been my research.

It might sound convenient to just take money out of ATM but the fees do add up. Its ridiculous.

Bob Jan 3rd 2010 2:54 am

how long is a piece of string? :D

augigi Jan 3rd 2010 4:00 am

Well, I have an Aussie credit card that has no international transaction fee. When I used to travel to the US, I would pay for most stuff using that (it's a Wizard mastercard), then I would use an ATM maybe once or twice to get out whatever cash I needed.

nettlebed Jan 3rd 2010 4:09 am

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 8214074)
how long is a piece of string? :D

Three inches.

E3only Jan 3rd 2010 8:52 am

Originally Posted by augigi (Post 8214154)
Well, I have an Aussie credit card that has no international transaction fee. When I used to travel to the US, I would pay for most stuff using that (it's a Wizard mastercard), then I would use an ATM maybe once or twice to get out whatever cash I needed.

When you incur a cost denominated in a NON AUD currency, the exchange rate Wizard gives you factors in their profit on the transaction. So if the middle market rate is say 80 USD = 1 AUD, Wizard will give you only 78 cents. Sure you don't see the fee but it's all factored in.

I have worked in merchant facility area of a major bank and hence the knowledge on the topic i guess....

http://www.aussie.com.au/credit-card...es-charges.htm

dunroving Jan 3rd 2010 10:34 am

Just finished reading a piece in the Times Money section about how all the experts got their 2009 predictions completely wrong, so I hardly think you can rely on anyone here to have the correct answer about the future of the dollar. Other than the issue of incurring multiple fees, the advice to spread out your transactions makes the most sense.

augigi Jan 3rd 2010 12:39 pm

Ah well, what the eye doesn't see the heart doesn't grieve over, as the saying goes.

vegas Jan 3rd 2010 1:45 pm

If labour win the election the pound will tank so watch the polls

Englishman in Eugene Jan 3rd 2010 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by vegas (Post 8214849)

I think GBP will take a hit when the UK General election is announced, and remail lower until the result is announced, regardless of who wins, though I can't see Gordon Brown winning an election.

We were up around $1.67 to the GBP back in December, it's dropped as low as $1.59 in between and is now around $1.62, but it's still fluctuating.

Optimus Prime Jan 3rd 2010 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by vegas (Post 8214849)

Like theres the slightest chance in the world of labour winning the next election. :rolleyes: