Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Going to Jail?

Wikiposts

Going to Jail?

Old Oct 27th 2008, 2:11 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Re: Going to Jail?

A young guy with an English accent in a US jail with a load of drug dealers and illegal immigrants. "Shudder."
Old Oct 27th 2008, 2:25 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Going to Jail?

I know someone who has just come out, I would not want to be there.
Old Oct 27th 2008, 11:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't come back if I were you. Consult an immigration lawyer before you even think of doing anything. Also, I don't think you'll ever be eligible for green card/citizenship.
Old Oct 28th 2008, 12:39 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mrs Danvers
...Also, I don't think you'll ever be eligible for green card/citizenship.
You're certainly not qualified to make a statement like that. An immigration lawyer would be able to give correct advice in this situation, but a jail sentence is not an automatic bar to permanent residency and then citizenship.
Old Oct 28th 2008, 6:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Mrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbj1000
You're certainly not qualified to make a statement like that. An immigration lawyer would be able to give correct advice in this situation, but a jail sentence is not an automatic bar to permanent residency and then citizenship.
Hence the first sentence, " Consult an immigration lawyer before you even think of doing anything."

Damn, there's a reason why I've been registered at this site for four years and make about ten posts a year.

Old Oct 29th 2008, 7:51 am
Just Joined

Paul86 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the comments since I posted the other night. Have a lot to think about.

Whay am I thinking of doing this? Firstly I should have dealt with it before and it's on my mind alot. I'm just finished college and have an American girlfriend whose back there for now and maybe one day would like to settle there but don't know if that would happen. As people have said, I've been told that a misedemeanor conviction isn't an automatic bar but it will make things very tough. That's why I wante dto sort this all out as best I could.

I have an appointment with the Embassy as I can't go purely on the VWP because of this and am worried just about that. I have been in touch with someone who got caught up in a similar situation and got residency after 5 years and got time served when his case came up because of how he handled it so that would be the best possible outcome. The other thing is that this happened upstate not in the city and I've been told that if the worse happens, county jail is nothing like one in the city but yeah it's still a pretty scary thought.

As I said have a lot to think about but my girlfriend is helping me out with all this and I don't plan on doing anything foolish.
Old Oct 29th 2008, 10:41 am
Forum Regular

bjohn has a brilliant futurebjohn has a brilliant futurebjohn has a brilliant futurebjohn has a brilliant futurebjohn has a brilliant futurebjohn has a brilliant futurebjohn has a brilliant future

Hey tough decision you have there.

I know a British person who has a drink driving conviction from the US in the early 90's. Since she travelled back and forth to the US several times on the VWP. She got so fed up with secondary inspection at POE as her name came up on the computer she decided to apply for a visa. Drugs could be an issue.

Not sure if this guy is visiting on a visa and slightly different to your situation but might be worth looking into.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/colu...ry/725074.html
Old Oct 30th 2008, 7:39 am
Forum Regular

fogga4000 will become famous soon enough

Wouldn't fancy it if it was me, I think I'd just stay well away from the U.S. unless you like being buggered. Their is no promise that you'll avoid prison and potentially they may deport you after you've served your sentence.
A very uneducated response but just know the threat is enough to put me off.
Old Oct 31st 2008, 1:37 pm
Banned

Location: Orlando,Florida,living in Buckinghamshire for next 6 weeks.
YankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Just pray you don't get sent to Sing Sing or Northern State Prison in NJ and take a good supply of soap on a rope.
Not funny
Old Oct 31st 2008, 1:46 pm
Banned

YankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond repute

Holy shit! I certainly wouldn't do what you're planning, not in a million years. I didn't follow your previous thread, but basically nothing, no girlfriend, no lifelong dream to live in America, would get me to surrender myself to jail time in another country for a petty offense.

What's more, I can't imagine that serving your time will do a damn thing to help you ever enter the US again. If you get 90 days you'll overstay your VWP (after all, you won't go straight to jail, will you?) and then you'll have an overstay plus a previous conviction and hey presto, you'll be banned from using the VWP, and most likely will never be granted a visa.

So, the way I see this working, you'll hand yourself in and go to jail, possibly risking your life while locked up, only to be deported and not allowed to return again. Why do it? A sense of honor and moral fortitude?

I agree with this post.Unless the OP has been given a air tight promise that he will still be allowed to pursue a future entry visa,then there really is no point in surrendering him self to jail time,and then certain deportation.I would hire an attorney right away.What offense did the OP commit?

P.S. I was under the impression that committing a crime in America by a foreign national is legal grounds for expulsion.
Old Oct 31st 2008, 2:02 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Paul86
Thanks for the comments since I posted the other night. Have a lot to think about.

Whay am I thinking of doing this? Firstly I should have dealt with it before and it's on my mind alot. I'm just finished college and have an American girlfriend whose back there for now and maybe one day would like to settle there but don't know if that would happen. As people have said, I've been told that a misedemeanor conviction isn't an automatic bar but it will make things very tough. That's why I wante dto sort this all out as best I could.

I have an appointment with the Embassy as I can't go purely on the VWP because of this and am worried just about that. I have been in touch with someone who got caught up in a similar situation and got residency after 5 years and got time served when his case came up because of how he handled it so that would be the best possible outcome. The other thing is that this happened upstate not in the city and I've been told that if the worse happens, county jail is nothing like one in the city but yeah it's still a pretty scary thought.

As I said have a lot to think about but my girlfriend is helping me out with all this and I don't plan on doing anything foolish.
Here is my advice.Hire a excellent attorney in the county of the city where your offense occured.Don't be cheap!! Look for an attorney who is well connected(great reputation) with the legal system.Someone who was possibly once a judge him/her self,or at the very least is considered one of the best known lawyers in that district.Not many crimes in America you can't buy your way out of if you have high powered legal talent.You might not even have to spend one day in jail if your lawyer is well respected and well connected.Might cost you about $5,000 to $10,000,but can be money well spent .
Old Oct 31st 2008, 2:10 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YankeemovingAbroad
I agree with this post.Unless the OP has been given a air tight promise that he will still be allowed to pursue a future entry visa,then there really is no point in surrendering him self to jail time,and then certain deportation.I would hire an attorney right away.What offense did the OP commit?

P.S. I was under the impression that committing a crime in America by a foreign national is legal grounds for expulsion.
Not you again. I thought you'd left?
Old Oct 31st 2008, 2:51 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Wishful thinking....
Old Oct 31st 2008, 4:33 pm
Banned

Still hanging around,but true to my word if Obama loses I will move to Europe.
Old Oct 31st 2008, 4:34 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Wishful thinking....
Ok,keep resisting your true feelings for me. I'll wait........

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.